• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Let's talk about Magnets

Seedlesstom

So, I've never really fell in love with anything in the Discraft lineup except for Magnets. It was kind of short lived, though. My first putter ever was a Magnet. I threw them for a while then wanted to switch things up and eventually settled on Wizards. However, I still have a soft spot for Magnets and I kind of want a real nice one to display. What is there in terms of collector Magnets? What is the crown jewel?

The Hope Diamond of Magnets is a MidniteBiker Tearin' One Off LE. It may not even exist but if it does, oh boy. Worth more than Facebook stock, assuredly.

Although if you found one with the rapper two chains on it it's worth a lot.

My favorite part is when they stick to the refrigerator.

Ow. That one got me. My sides hurt a little...

When I first got serious about DG many moons ago, I was an all Discraft guy. A Black Soft Mag was my absolute GO-TO. I used that thing until it was beat to hell, warped like cheese bubbling up under the broiler, and faded to gray with no stamp. I loved that putter. But no Magnet, soft or D I've found could ever match that feel or flight. I was pretty bummed for the last couple years. Tried dozens of putters, MVPs, Innovas, Trilogy, Gateway, until finally settling between Wizards and Prodigy putters. Then, this summer I found RDG. I'm all set, thanks. :D

My first putter ever was a Magnet. I threw them for a while then wanted to switch things up and eventually settled on Wizards. However, I still have a soft spot for Magnets and I kind of want a real nice one to display. What is there in terms of collector Magnets? What is the crown jewel?
I took a similar path. I have used lots of putter after that first Magnet. After a particularly terrible tournament recently, i went back to that first Magnet and am now wondering why I ever stopped using it. I hate the current Pro D though. This one is soft, and feels perfect in these cooler temps.

I have to say I did a long time ago putt with a Yellow Magnet, it was called soft but it was slick and hard. I beat that thing to trash! Actually I just remembered it's up on my roof. hehe

I have two absolute butter soft magnets from 94.

I don't event throw them but I should.

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a 4 chain Magnet then! Thanks for all of your help. Let's see if I can put my first discraft disc in my collection!

Actually... What's up with these Z Magnets I'm seeing? I didn't even know they made Magnets in Z plastic.

Actually... What's up with these Z Magnets I'm seeing? I didn't even know they made Magnets in Z plastic.

They made crystal Z magnets 5 or so years ago. I have an orange one. Paid $25 new i'd be willing to part with it. Pm me an offer if your interested. 8/10 used it for a little while but i'm not a fan of z plastic.

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a 4 chain Magnet then! Thanks for all of your help. Let's see if I can put my first discraft disc in my collection!

Four chains pop up on Ebay frequently. The Magnet is my favorite putter. I am not one for collecting discs but I do have two nice Four chain Magnets. One has the old Discraft D logo the other has the pulse stamp.

4 chain magnets are the shizzz! I found two in a gas station once and used them until they were paper plate flippy. Took years though before they became semi useless

My first putter was a soft magnet in pro d plastic. I used it for years and still have the thing. It's incredibly warped and worn - has a nice thumb track built in now. I'm certain that if it hits chains again the disc would explode and turn to dust. It's retired - possibly one of the oldest discs I have.

Just started messing around with a Magnet for one disc rounds in the snow the other day - color me impressed.

It may be one of the straightest flyers I've ever thrown. It is light, and pro-D, so it may be a tad less stable than the norm.

Given I am throwing it from a standstill in 10" of snow, it works. It feels very nice in the hand as a putter, which I look forward to trying in more clement weather.

Have you tried the D-line Reef? A fadeless Magnet, but will turn more in the wind. These two putters look virtually identical, only the less stable Reef actually has a bead...tiny but there. Magnet has a slightly more scooped out underside of wing, though you'd be hard pressed to tell just by glancing at them.

I like the flight fine, but that deep sloping shoulder feels downright weird to me the Focus and Challenger are better for my grip if your picking a Discraft putter.

Latest posts