• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Let's talk about (newer run) Katanas

JTacoma03

* Ace Member *
Anybody else up on these bad boys? I was never a Katana fan until I was urged to try some stiff, domey CFR Champ Glow Katanas using some script I won back in October.

WOW.

These babies hyzer flip into a BOMBING S-turn. They ended up becoming my go-to driver and they wound up booting Rampages, Glo Nukes, and even Archons because I found I could execute such a wide variety of shots with them.

The real good news is there's a whole bunch of these goodies in the newer runs of Star Katanas too. I had to do a little searching but I ended up finding 2 of them (one Glow CFR and one Star) that were awesomely stiff and domey at the Sylmar pro shop a couple weekends ago.

I don't see a ton of people throwing these after the "newness" of the mold died down, so was wondering who else still has them in the bag - and do they enjoy stiff and domey like I do?

(TLDR: stiff+domey Katanas are awesome, soft and flat ones are paper plates - who's with me?)

Im curious about giving a katana a try since i havent quite been digging my tern.. but then prodigy happened (niceee plastic) so i wanna try the D4

I have a flat stiff one that is a freakin meathook at 172 and a nice domey 166 stiff as well and its a beauty of a flier. both star. i use the domey one and a pro they pair nicely

Our Academy has Stars with different numbers. Printing mistake or what?

Quite likely. It should be 13|5|-3|3

PS - I've been told the new course out there is best in the state. Can't wait to get back down there in November and hopefully play it!

The newer runs do have huge domes compared to the one I first started with. Which is extremely flat.

Huge domes for huge distances!

I have a flat stiff one that is a freakin meathook at 172 and a nice domey 166 stiff as well and its a beauty of a flier. both star. i use the domey one and a pro they pair nicely

:eek: really? all the flat ones I've ever thrown have been paper plate flippy.

Glad someone else is throwing those domey stiff ones. Seriously easy distance.

Quite likely. It should be 13|5|-3|3

PS - I've been told the new course out there is best in the state. Can't wait to get back down there in November and hopefully play it!
Some friends of mine just submitted proposals for the addition of 3, 9 or 18 new holes. If we get at least 9 more, that place is going to be a true gem.

I've got all sorts of Katanas. My furthest flyer in the bag right now is a 156 blizzard champ. I recently added a used 175 Star that I never thought I'd have the arm for, but it's breaking into a great disc for huge drives or even headwinds. Both have impressive domes, where the older champ and star Katanas I have are all more stable and flat as a board.

are these like the proto star pro katanas? i really like the pro katana! for the price it is the best disc for easy distance out there. you can't beat it(pricewise)

i'm looking for domey ones i think but i don't know how to find them? picture of the ones you got?

are these like the proto star pro katanas? i really like the pro katana! for the price it is the best disc for easy distance out there. you can't beat it(pricewise)

i'm looking for domey ones i think but i don't know how to find them? picture of the ones you got?

I'm not sure about Protos, but the pro katanas I've thrown were all too understable for me. I needed something for finesse lines at 400' (and I've never been a fan of the Boss).

Here's some pics of the Katanas I just bought - showing the dome was easy - but it's a little harder to tell stiffness, so I put the Star one backlit by the sun to show how thick/opaque it is.

Attachments

• Katana1 cropped.jpg
    Katana1 cropped.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Katana2 cropped.jpg
    Katana2 cropped.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Katana3 cropped.jpg
    Katana3 cropped.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 16
I have a flat, stiff, and very pearly Champ Katana that I really like. I don't throw it unless I'm going for all out distance obviously, but it's got very controllable turn and healthy fade. It absolutely bombs in a tailwind thrown hard with a tiny bit of anhyzer, or hyzer flipped into a nice tight turn and flex with predictable fade (and a monster skip). I'm a fan.

:eek: really? all the flat ones I've ever thrown have been paper plate flippy

The early run flat Star Katanas were quite overstable, moreso than a domey Destoryer. The recent poppy top Katanas are really nice though. I also have a 2011 worlds CFR champ Vulcan with the same poppy top and that disc bombs too. The dome seems to give 'em more stability so they can handle 450'+ power without flipping straight into the ground while still being really throwable for the 375' crowd. Nice discs. I was thinking about starting this thread just the other day.

I'm getting ready to try out a Katana. For just max distance purposes only.

Thinking of trying a Pro and a Star. If I can find a Blizzard in a 168 then I'll get one of those instead.

The early run flat Star Katanas were quite overstable, moreso than a domey Destoryer. The recent poppy top Katanas are really nice though. I also have a 2011 worlds CFR champ Vulcan with the same poppy top and that disc bombs too. The dome seems to give 'em more stability so they can handle 450'+ power without flipping straight into the ground while still being really throwable for the 375' crowd. Nice discs. I was thinking about starting this thread just the other day.

Hmm, never threw early runs. Good to know.

Combo that dome with stiffness though. I bought a couple thinking the dome was the key, but they were kinda soft and just turned and burned on me from a deep hyzer flip. The soft ones would be more suitable for the 300-350' max D throwers.

I'm getting ready to try out a Katana. For just max distance purposes only.

Thinking of trying a Pro and a Star. If I can find a Blizzard in a 168 then I'll get one of those instead.

Hope this information helps in choosing the right one.:thmbup:

call me crazy but i get great results with 175g flat pro katana's, i love them.
the domey are hit or miss for me, but i do like the metal flake champ i have that is fairly domey

I have a Domey Pro that just goes for days with ease.

I also have a Stiff,Flat Star one that does some nice beautiful S Turns and it bombs for those bigs anyhyzer shots.

I'm looking at getting a champion for Windier days and looking for a Heavy Blizzard Plastic just to see how that flies.

Latest posts