• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

What lid flies the most like an Ultrastar but will fit in a regular bag? I have a lot of throws from playing ultimate that would be great for get out of trouble shots but trying to carry an Ultrastar in the bag is a pain.

Doggy style, Sonic, Lil' Wizard or something else?

Last edited:
What lid flies the most like an Ultrastar but will fit in a regular bag? I have a lot of throws from playing ultimate that would be great for get out of trouble shots but trying to carry an Ultrastar in the bag is a pain.

I would think probably something like a rattler. It has a more Ultrastar like lip from what I remember while being a normal disc golf disc size. It might be a little more HSS than an Ultrastar, but it should beat into that spot nicely.

The Sonic would probably be another good option. That one is more of a catch frisbee feel.

I don't know if they Doggy Style is bigger or would fit in your bag.

The Lil' Wiz is cool, kinda like a mini polecat, but I'm Pretty sure it isn't PDGA approved

I would think probably something like a rattler. It has a more Ultrastar like lip from what I remember while being a normal disc golf disc size. It might be a little more HSS than an Ultrastar, but it should beat into that spot nicely.

The Sonic would probably be another good option. That one is more of a catch frisbee feel.

I don't know if they Doggy Style is bigger or would fit in your bag.

The Lil' Wiz is cool, kinda like a mini polecat, but I'm Pretty sure it isn't PDGA approved

I have a Rattler. It is definitely more HSS then an Ultrastar. I prefer the Polecat myself. Maybe I should try out a lighter weight Polecat (150g?) or a really beaten in Polecat. I also tried out a Sonic but it was 127g so it was too light. Maybe I should try a heavier one.

I couldn't get a good picture to show it, but there is a small thumb groove sort of thing near the rim.

Got a picture of a polecat inside of a makani, inside of an ultimate; a pic of its profile; and a profile comparison of polecat versus makani.

I played catch with one of these two days ago and loved it. When I first saw it it reminded me of a Zephyr.
It has great control. I was throwing downhill into the wind and was able to control it the way I wanted to. It weighed 140g.

I'd buy one for my bag but I doubt it fits.

I bag a Zephyr, but it's in the elastic side pocket of my UPD Shift. Probably wouldn't fit in a standard shoulder bag. My friend who plays Ultimate always wants to borrow it for a few shots when we play together. Glidey bastard. :D

I bag a Zephyr, but it's in the elastic side pocket of my UPD Shift. Probably wouldn't fit in a standard shoulder bag. My friend who plays Ultimate always wants to borrow it for a few shots when we play together. Glidey bastard. :D

My thing with Zephyr is if I carried that I could just as easily carry an Ultrastar and I have about 20 of those bastards laying around (My wife and I get one each every season we play...).

The Snap Whittler is probably the closest to an Ultrastar flight. It's still a pretty big diameter for a golf bag, but it'll fit in a putter pocket. Hit it right, and it'll flat a long ways.

Last edited:
The Snap Whittler is probably the closest to an Ultrastar flight. It's still a pretty big diameter for a golf bag, but it'll fit in a putter pocket. Hit it right, and it'll flat a long ways.

Interesting I have never heard of that one. I'll check it out.

Discraft soft APX 175g, throws just like an ultimate (from someone who threw ultimates for many years before disc golf).

Got one of my buddies hooked on rattlers, decided to try them after he used my Polecats. He uses them for his long putts, does pretty well too!

Our entire Sunday morning group bought Polecats too. Starting the lid revolution!

TBird Nailed it, the whitler is like a mini ultrastar in one of the most indestructable plastics ever. I thrashed all of mine so hard showing off the plastic they all look like junk now. Its too bad Snaps driver was in junk baseline plastic.

For some reason, I didn't think the whitler was PDGA approved, but I checked the list, and it's on there. Maybe it's just not superclass approved? It's a little bigger than my comets are, but I would think it would fit in the bag. Probably a tight fit. I'll have to try later.

My beat to hell Polecat keeps sneaking back into my bag. It just mysteriously shows up sometimes....

It can do everything.

Here is a Rattler inside a Whitler inside an Ultra-Star.

03261615112_zpscmuv5hlc.jpg

I've never been a lid lover, but I did grab an XT Polecat from the factory store. Gonna use it as a catch disc and object course disc on vacation and see how it like it.

canned a throw-in with my lid today. :) LHFH anny, straight to the chains around a bunch of trees. ran a couple shorties too and clanged some metal. time for a replacement though . . . she's cracked completely through where the rim meets the flight plate.

Got a chance to toss my bite around the course today. Fun disc! Pretty fast for a lid, wish it were a bit wider diameter and also heavier. The gateway dog disc I've got, it's pretty heavy so you can really feel the disc pivot on those short touch shots. Not so as much with the bite. It handles driving better though!

Latest posts