• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live feed for USDGC

what does this event say about the rating system since only 25 people are within 10 strokes of projected score which is formulated by ratings? Shouldn't everyone be around even

I parked 17 today (12 feet) with a Squall into a headwind. The last guy to throw in my group carded a 21 with 8 misses OB - some from the layup area - and doinked a 10 footer. I was talking with Harold about the event, and at least for the lake holes, you don't want to lose the best disc(s) you have for certain shots because, for me at least, I take the longer view. Those discs will be more valuable to me in the long run for future holes and rounds than possibly throwing them in the drink at the USDGC and losing them. Thus, I believe that's one reason players choke up on 17 even though they could easily reach the lake with almost every disc in their bag.

Sooooo who actually has the hottest round and who has the least number of actual throws this weekend....or the actual 'real' leader.....kind of curious what the scores actually are w/o the ratings handicap system

Take the projected score and add the round score from it to give you a total of actual throws.

ie.

Projected score: 87
round 1: +5
round 2: -1
round 3: +3

Actual throws
round 1: 92 (87+5)
round 2: 86 (87+-1)
round 3: 90 (87+3)

Copy all the scores into a spreadsheet and set up an equation. I did that first round but got bored with it.

don't feel like adding it all up, buuuuuuuutt...the top 7 players by lowest projected scores are currently:

failberg 4 -3
kenny dnf
barry 30 +13
jussi 73 +32
phil 107 +51
wiggins 8 +1
cam 16 +4

Phil played with me yesterday and was playing well until hole 8. Then he sort of gave up on his score after going OB twice off the tee. From then on, he played the routes he wanted to play without worrying whether it was safe. He went for 10 from the tee and missed. Then, he landed safe and sank the 10m putt for a 4.

I find it pretty sad that Phil was able to slither his way into Monday Qualifying late & was allowed to play by himself after people were turned away, knocks ant GALE out and then DNFs??
not that's great sportsmanship?? U tell me chuck?

from what i understand, a couple players tried to re-Q around 230-ish & were told it was closed. P.A rolls Up around 245 and was able to play with a marshall... subsequently knocking Auntie GaLe OUT.

Seems like something like that happens every year.

That, and the guy who shoots well enough to qualify and then can't get within 30 of that scores four straight rounds.

I guess integrity isn't a big deal in disc golf anymore. Glad I can hit a little white ball too!

P.S that's a jab at Innova, not Phil.

He didn't bump anyone out. There was a 3 way tie and no one lost out cause Phil got in. it just bumped those guys into a tie for the last spots. All ties got in, no playoffs..

what does this event say about the rating system since only 25 people are within 10 strokes of projected score which is formulated by ratings? Shouldn't everyone be around even

I think it says less about the accuracy of the ratings system and much much more about the effect of stroke & distance.

Ratings are arrived at by normal scoring rules. S&D is much more punitive....especially when almost the entire course is lined by OB.

How much more punitive? The average over "personal par" for 4 rounds was 40.8. That is 10 strokes per round. (I imagine that this is skewed high due to lots of tin-cupping).

Latest posts