• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Locating discs in grass w/ no trees

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Bear with me, this may just be a rhetorical and therapeutic rant...

I have significantly improved my ability to find discs in the woods. Replay the shot immediately in my head, which tree was it in front of, which shadow did it cross by, etc...

BUT! I have now lost two discs in wide open, grassy knolls. I see the disc disappear, note some far distant object, and walk straight line. Of course I've found way more than I've lost, but it is mind-numbingly maddening to have a pretty good idea where your disc landed, then spend an hour combing back and forth. Then becoming disillusioned and looking waaaaay further and waaaay closer than where it should be.

Today I threw into the wind. Thought the driver was going to turn way more than it did, but instead faded way left off the fairway. I was watching very closely, noted the distant cluster of trees and thought to myself, 'toward those trees, not quite to where the grass gets taller and lighter color'. It wasn't there. It wasn't within 150' of that location, and I spent an hour crossing back and forth...

So, you experienced players, are there any tricks I can employ besides landing in the mowed fairway?
:wall:

When the disc lands, I look beyond the disc to a feature behind it, preferably far away on the horizon. Then without even blinking, I walk in a zombie-like shuffle straight to that point on the horizon, using my peripheral vision to notice the disc as it comes into view near my feet.

So, you experienced players, are there any tricks I can employ besides landing in the mowed fairway?
:wall:

Landing in the fairway is generally the way to go. ;)

One suggestion is to translate your usual driving distance into steps. If you walk the applicable number of steps in the direction your disc went and drop your bag as a marker, the disc should be reasonably close unless it rolled away.

Caveat: I have lost a ridiculous number of discs doing field work in a wide-open mowed grass field, so ymmv. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain, but there is no secret to finding discs except watching closely as well as experience with how far you throw and the courses you play. When I first started playing, the landing spots of discs seemed random especially errant shots, but the more you play your courses you will discover that errant shots tend to funnel to the same places on most holes. I know that's true because not only will you find your disc if you know the spot to look, but you'll often find discs from people who have made the same mistake you did. Or you can play with someone that has better eyesight that you do. :D

Small things like, was the disc on a hyzer/anhyzer. Was the disc traveling uphill/downhill. Often disc going downhill will gather some unexpected distance. Generally anticipating what the disc will do at the end of its flight.

It would not be lost, if you knew where it went.

I have an issue with depth perception, so I definitely understand your pain. Besides under/over estimating the distance, I have found that, unlike ball golf, you can rarely walk in a straight line to where you think your disc ended up.

I use disc colors that stand out in the environment - I'm in Arizona, so bright colors are helpful and for the rare grass, I try to stay away from greens.

I also try to pick out three spots on the line. Where I am, a far spot, and something intermediate. That way I can get lined up even if at some point I have to sidetrack....I just turn sideways and line up my starting point with my left shoulder, my far spot with my right shoulder and the intermediate spot needs to be somewhere on that line. Then as I get to where I 'think' my disc is, I start looking on that line....if I don't see it, I go back to where I believe it landed and start a spiral search.

While searching, I also turn my head in different directions. Your peripheral vision is the best at catching sight of objects (or so I've been told by hunters) and turning around you might catch light off the disc. They don't always land flat....you could be looking right at your disc, but because it isn't flat and has it's edge towards you it can be easy to miss.

Landing in the fairway is generally the way to go. ;)

One suggestion is to translate your usual driving distance into steps. If you walk the applicable number of steps in the direction your disc went and drop your bag as a marker, the disc should be reasonably close unless it rolled away.

Caveat: I have lost a ridiculous number of discs doing field work in a wide-open mowed grass field, so ymmv. :rolleyes:

The empty field holes 13 and 14 at Franklin Park is the worst. It only roughly 300,000 sqft fairway to search. LOL
:)

Not fun on a windy day.

This can happen on some courses no matter how skilled, no fairway at all like Angostura State Park Disc Golf Course. That course is so challenging due to having taller prairie grasses as the Majority with few trees, run ups are very hard to do so standstill is how 70-80% of the course is played including some of the natural tee spots.

Having trouble finding or losing discs in the fairway was my first hint that I might be colorblind. I throw blue discs now.

When the disc lands, I look beyond the disc to a feature behind it, preferably far away on the horizon. Then without even blinking, I walk in a zombie-like shuffle straight to that point on the horizon, using my peripheral vision to notice the disc as it comes into view near my feet.

This, I've employed this at times and have even just left my bag sitting there even though I have to walk a few hundred feet (sometimes I literally grope behind me in the air for my bag or cart), because I don't want to take my eyes off it at all. Have never lost a disc doing this. I have lost a few by looking away for a few moments before going after the disc though.

One thing that helps is to be familiar with your distances and especially with the course. If I know that I typically land in a certain area on the fairway, I can get really close to the correct area to search in the rough.

Easiest solution? Turn the hulk off and don't throw so dam far!!!

This right here is a cop out. I don't throw far AND throw way off the intended line OFTEN. I never lose discs. You need to throw terribly of course, but try early releasing and grip locking equally. I like to throw a lot of them straight into the ground. Various different ways you do this.

This right here is a cop out. I don't throw far AND throw way off the intended line OFTEN. I never lose discs. You need to throw terribly of course, but try early releasing and grip locking equally. I like to throw a lot of them straight into the ground. Various different ways you do this.

Twas a joke my friend ....

Listen closely, your ears can help a lot. Bright colored discs and wear glasses if need be to get you to 20/20, even that little amount helps tremendously. I'm 20/30 naturally and go without glasses for daily life, but come disc golf time even that tiny amount of correction makes a world of a difference.