• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lone Star Discs

I talked to one of local shops that carry these.... they are made in Conroe. The company has long been in the plastics and mold business.... making discs is simply a new part of their business as the two sons who work for the company love disc golf. Seems they see the market opportunity. The plastic names don't bother me at all. It is a veteran owned company, so a tie to that past.

I'll buy and try a couple of molds at some point.

Funny. I lived and worked in Conroe for a couple months. Met some nice people but really kind of a weird area.

I've been there many times. It has never felt weird to me. You have I45 running through it and the lake... the two main compenents that drive things there. I lived about fifteen minutes south of there between Conroe and the Woodlands for a while.

They have added the Curl. 11 | 5 | -1 | 2 which sounds like a slightly beat Wraith. Anyone thrown one? Infinite customers give a 6 glide.

Also, in general, would you say the given flight numbers are decently close, or do the discs fly more/less stable than anticipated? This company needs some decent YT flights.

I've been using the Curl for a while now and a slightly beat in Star Wraith is a very good description. I don't find it as glidey as my Pro Wraiths. The plastic feels a lot like gStar, maybe a touch more stiff. The slot I'm hoping to fill is that newish Pro Wraith slot so I don't have to cycle nearly as much, so far so good. I will lose a touch of distance with that goal, I'll just keep one good Wraith in case it might matter which it rarely does.

Edited for info - My driving distance is typically around 375' this year (measured not internet). More if I play a lot and less when I don't. Either way the info above is my experience.

Last edited:
Got this Middy recently and wow the alpha plastic is pretty. Feels like old Star and the pastel swirls are pretty cool.

Attachments

• 03E21380-46FB-4C18-87C4-67212E8611E4.jpg
    03E21380-46FB-4C18-87C4-67212E8611E4.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 50CB7E5C-8384-47F2-8EEE-45125FDDA10D.jpg
    50CB7E5C-8384-47F2-8EEE-45125FDDA10D.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 39
Got this Middy recently and wow the alpha plastic is pretty. Feels like old Star and the pastel swirls are pretty cool.

Yes, good vid btw, and congrats on sponsorship. So plastics. Is Bravo comparable to Gstar versus Alpha compared to Star as far as stability goes? Like Innova gives a Star Boss 0 turn and a Gstar -1 turn. Do you who've thrown Lone Star Discs see the same kind of pattern: Bravo being a digit less stable than Alpha?

Yes, good vid btw, and congrats on sponsorship. So plastics. Is Bravo comparable to Gstar versus Alpha compared to Star as far as stability goes? Like Innova gives a Star Boss 0 turn and a Gstar -1 turn. Do you who've thrown Lone Star Discs see the same kind of pattern: Bravo being a digit less stable than Alpha?

Thanks man, it's exciting!

So far the Bravo isn't much less stable, but I've only tried the Middy and Mad Cat in both plastics. I would say probably -.5 in turn more. Alpha middy and mad cat don't turn at all unless I anhyzer and the Bravo hints that it could turn.

Mail call from lone star today, got this cool glow Middy and the glow is pretty strong too. Rose colored one is the proto Jackrabbit putter, sort of feels like a Penrose if you made the wing higher and a bit more angular.

Solid blue is a bravo curl, and I'm betting it will bomb backhand.

Attachments

• 689EF242-8C7E-4825-B6CE-8C423AE77E83.jpg
    689EF242-8C7E-4825-B6CE-8C423AE77E83.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 56
  • FE29AA90-A33D-4708-A5BC-A104E5A897DE.jpg
    FE29AA90-A33D-4708-A5BC-A104E5A897DE.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 32
i personally am always functionality over form, but the LSD stamps make me feel like the LSD graphics department need to take more LSD.

at a certain level i can see the ironic/old school thing, but these just look bad. The fonts are hilarious for a twitter meme that is making fun of using sans serif or times new roman, but really, LSD, you will sell more discs if you just dont put anything on them at all. That seems old school. just a blank. since yall run the production maybe put the model/plastic in the mold

I have gotten to throw a good selection of their discs now and thought I would give a rundown for any interest people;

Penny-slightly understable putter, beadless and in the Victor plastic feels a bit like a Swan2. In the premium plastics is kind of domey and glides well but feels too deep for my preference. 3/4/-1/0

Jack Rabbit- beaded putter slightly angular top. Reminds me a bit of a Penrose or flat topped Wizard. Can take some power but isn't overstable. 3/3/-1/2

Middy- not my favorite name, but one of my favorite of their discs. Feels and flies like a flat beadless Bard or RocX3. Not super OS but it holds up to wind well and fights back from anhyzer. Feel is really nice. 5/4/0/2

Mad Cat- like the slightly domey S PD of old. Holds up to power very well forehand or backhand and you can manipulate it on a few different lines as well. My most used disc of theirs so far. 9/4/0/2

Curl- feels and flies nice, like a star Wraith after a month or two. You can make it turn, and it glides well. Out of the box it will hold a hyzer without flipping too much, but thrown flat it shows turn. 11/5/-1/2

Bowie- odd one to Gina a comparison. Feels like a domey Giant, but has a little angled portion at the bottom of the wing that probably adds drag and makes it stable. Good glide, threw it backhand in the low 400s and decided to try and FH and it went almost 500 without my max power…will have to play with this one some more. 13/5/0/2.5

I have gotten to throw a good selection of their discs now and thought I would give a rundown for any interest people;

Penny-slightly understable putter, beadless and in the Victor plastic feels a bit like a Swan2. In the premium plastics is kind of domey and glides well but feels too deep for my preference. 3/4/-1/0

Jack Rabbit- beaded putter slightly angular top. Reminds me a bit of a Penrose or flat topped Wizard. Can take some power but isn't overstable. 3/3/-1/2

Middy- not my favorite name, but one of my favorite of their discs. Feels and flies like a flat beadless Bard or RocX3. Not super OS but it holds up to wind well and fights back from anhyzer. Feel is really nice. 5/4/0/2

Mad Cat- like the slightly domey S PD of old. Holds up to power very well forehand or backhand and you can manipulate it on a few different lines as well. My most used disc of theirs so far. 9/4/0/2

Curl- feels and flies nice, like a star Wraith after a month or two. You can make it turn, and it glides well. Out of the box it will hold a hyzer without flipping too much, but thrown flat it shows turn. 11/5/-1/2

Bowie- odd one to Gina a comparison. Feels like a domey Giant, but has a little angled portion at the bottom of the wing that probably adds drag and makes it stable. Good glide, threw it backhand in the low 400s and decided to try and FH and it went almost 500 without my max power…will have to play with this one some more. 13/5/0/2.5

Thanks for the rundown, I was looking for Lone Star Discs info and this is super helpful.

I got a Glow Armadillo in payout at a tournament this weekend (payout was prepackaged). It feels a lot like a K2 Berg in my hand. How would you say the Armadillo compares to the Berg?

Thanks for the rundown, I was looking for Lone Star Discs info and this is super helpful.

I got a Glow Armadillo in payout at a tournament this weekend (payout was prepackaged). It feels a lot like a K2 Berg in my hand. How would you say the Armadillo compares to the Berg?

Mine have not come in yet, I asked for a glow and a bravo. The Berg and Serpent are the two discs I've heard it compared to in flight.

Have you gotten to throw it yet?

Mine have not come in yet, I asked for a glow and a bravo. The Berg and Serpent are the two discs I've heard it compared to in flight.

Have you gotten to throw it yet?

I just got home and took it out in front of the house to throw it, along with one of my K2 Bergs (what they now call "K1 Soft"). I threw straight shots, slight hyzers and anhyzers, and bigger hyzers and anhyzers.

The Lone Star Glow plastic is a bit less flexible than the Kastaplast K2, but they feel pretty similar. I threw 16 shots with each disc, one after the other, at ranges from about 120' to 160' (which is what I use a Berg for). They flew almost identical lines on all of the shots, usually landing within 3 feet of each other. They also reacted the same way when they hit the ground on similar angles.

For me, it is very, very Berg-like, and I consider that to be a compliment. I like the Berg and I like this disc a lot. Kastaplast describes the Berg as 1/1/0/2 and Lone Star describes the Armadillo as 1/2/0/1. In my small test, I did not see much difference at all.

As far as the feel, they have similar depth. The Berg feels like a thumb track, with a high rim, then a lower spot, then a slight dome in the middle. The Armadillo has a raised rim, but then it is board flat across the middle of the disc. Because I place my thumb near the rim for approach shots, they felt the same in my hand, but if you like to put your thumb near the middle of the disc, I think you will notice a difference between the two.

Just got in my Armadillo's and a Jack Rabbit.

I got one of each plastic of the Armadillo and they all feel pretty nice. I haven't had time to throw them but I'm hopeful. The look and feel is more like a polecat or rhino than a berg.

The Jackrabbit I got is in the the Victor1 plastic. WOW! Very soft. Very similar to RFF from gateway. In fact it feels almost exactly like my RFF glow wizard. I want to take a second to talk about the stamp. The stamp is embedded deeply into the disc....I noticed that even before I picked it up. Must be because of the softness of the plastic, but other soft plastics don't seem to be stamped that deep.

Will report back when I get some time to throw these guys!

Just got in my Armadillo's and a Jack Rabbit.

I got one of each plastic of the Armadillo and they all feel pretty nice. I haven't had time to throw them but I'm hopeful. The look and feel is more like a polecat or rhino than a berg.

The Jackrabbit I got is in the the Victor1 plastic. WOW! Very soft. Very similar to RFF from gateway. In fact it feels almost exactly like my RFF glow wizard. I want to take a second to talk about the stamp. The stamp is embedded deeply into the disc....I noticed that even before I picked it up. Must be because of the softness of the plastic, but other soft plastics don't seem to be stamped that deep.

Will report back when I get some time to throw these guys!

Jackrabbit is nice, similar to a Penrose or Wizard in flight but I like the top a bit better. Mine is a blank proto, so didn't see that with the stamp, but I'll have to see if my Pennies in the V2 plastic are like that also.

Tested out an Armadillo today and I was digging this thing. It's got a Rhyno looking top but flies more like a Polecat I'm thinking. I don't throw Polecats or Rhynos, but the wife throws Rhynos and it's very similar looking on top but WAY more blunt of an edge. This plastic feels great too. Will be putting more work in with this mold to dial it in, but a great first impression.

Any info on the Warbird? I just saw it pop up on infinite's website. Looks like another overstable Destroyer-esque clone with more glide (?)

Got mine today and it's in a translucent gummy champ looking Bravo plastic and the profile is really close to a destroyer or D2s

Orange disc is a 4x destroyer, light blue is the War Bird. Dark blue is a D2.

Attachments

• 801E3652-31A5-4222-8283-3C8D56EFF3B7.jpg
    801E3652-31A5-4222-8283-3C8D56EFF3B7.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 6DD71345-5986-40F7-9C22-AA41C846C7A2.jpg
    6DD71345-5986-40F7-9C22-AA41C846C7A2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 27
I got glow armadillos yesterday and one was flat and another a very deformed pop top. Fun disc. I like my polecat and felt like a stable polecat. Also got a glow curl and the few time I threw it I liked. It flew like a wraith/shryke. The 2.2 rim felt real comfortable in the hand. It's very domey.