• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long tunnel shots.

Spectacledbear

Birdie Member
Been playing abit on a new course, and it has some long tunnel holes,trees to the left and right. If you land on the left side it would be slightly more forgiving, but a gamble.

How would you deal with it if you couldnt clear the tunnel in one throw?

Yep, throw a disc that you can safely land in the middle of the fairway... play for par.

^boom. Remember to keep it pretty flat and low. The higher the throw, the more low speed fade you'll get. This may mean you need to throw a bit harder than you might expect to get it to a certain point down the fairway.

Throw straight.
Not all tunnels are straight. In fact, I kinda like tunnels that force you to hold a reasonably tight annie or hyzer line.

For straight tunnels, what they all said ^^^ especially about keeping it flat and low. I use a Mako3.

Lately I have been throwing more FH and tunnel shots seem easier throwing that way. Your eyes stay on the target and you don't need as much body rotation to get the disc moving. This suggestion probably only is useful if you don't favor either style.

I carry a Panther for these holes. I can throw it dead straight with little to no fade over 200 feet just about every time. It's the only time I pull it from my bag. Find the disc that does this for you and have fun.

Get your straitest mid or putter, for me a beatish mcpro Roc3 or aviar depending distance. I like to use a little hyzer flip because it's easier for me to hit my line on a bit of hyzer instead of dead flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much only throw hyzer flips on tunnels that I can't throw all the way through. I can power down, and still get adequate distance.

Agreed with others here, slow it down, keep it low.

I have a beat Moonshine Warship that excels in this role.

At higher power it turns quite a bit, great for an anhyser drive.

But for a tunnel shot I slow my arm speed just a hair, but keep the spin.

It flies low, straight & long.

Bh roc or meteor I know well if I cannot afford to risk a bogey.

Currently field working on my fh roc range in part for holes like this. Improve ease of accurate right side of the tunnel placements as a righty thrower.

Dread these dead straight holes visiting a new course. Especially if there are limited landmarks and one craps a disc out a side. Leery of going big if the big reward is still an unlikely long birdie throw in.

... Someone going to chime in as a Roller-God?

On a bit of a side note, it's a pretty sight to watch a bright red disc sail dead straight down the middle of a green tunnel.

Depending on the tunnel I'll use my flippy mid or my middle of the road mid and I'll throw it on hyzer or flat and let it do the job. If O can attack the pin I will go up to a TL, Valk, Tern if I can.