• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest 18 hole course?

I'm not a dg on a ball golf course hater, I actually think its a novel idea and a great way to add exposure, but in this conversation about longest courses I kind of discount these DG / Ball Golf courses. Of course there long .... A - they usually follow the golf course so they naturally will be long for flow reasons and B - They're usually long for the sake of being long because usually the only real challenge they try to offer.

I think DG on ball golf course should be discounted. Lets change this to the "Longest 18 Hole Course Not on a Ball Golf Course"

Agreed. A ball golf course is designed for ball golfers to hit a ball 2-400 yards (6-1200ft) while a disc golf course is designed for disc golfers to throw a disc 1-900ft. Sure some of the longer dg holes could measure up to a shorter ball golf hole, but how many holes on and dg course should max out over 600 ft?

9577 ft. Deis Hill blue tees. Longest I've played, and it feels pretty long. Lots of back tracking in between tees because the course was designed more around the whites and reds than the blues.

how many holes on and dg course should max out over 600 ft?

The more the better IMO. I like holes that have no conceivable way of being parked on your first drive. Plan to toss Portage Lakes more frequently for this reason (Holes #4, #6 and #9 are a blast), always liked Dover for this reason.

Last edited:
I used to be in the longer is better crowd but have learned to appreciate difficult holes of par 3 and 4 and 5 and 6. Too much D even if it is wooded can be a bad thing. I'm unsure the optimal distance but I'm sure it's under 10000 ft

Longest course I have ever played is highbridge gold. I'm not sure of the exact total length, but I remember is being right at about 10000'. In fact, one hole is over 1300', about a quarter mile long. Granted, it was a light downhill the whole way. But I was ecstatic to score an 8. This course was LONG, and no carts to help. For the record, I was a beginning discer and this was NOT FUN. As said earlier, I'll take tight and heavily wooded. But by the time I get back out to highbridge it may be a different story

I used to be in the longer is better crowd but have learned to appreciate difficult holes of par 3 and 4 and 5 and 6. Too much D even if it is wooded can be a bad thing. I'm unsure the optimal distance but I'm sure it's under 10000 ft

Most of the best designed holes in our sport are par 3's and par 4's. Making a truly remarkable par 3 hole takes an extreme amount of creativity, skill, and knowledge of disc flight ....... it takes little skill to stretch a hole over 800 ft.

I will put the two gold level par 5s over 800 feet on the Highbridge Gold front nine and the one on Bear front nine up against any par 5s around except maybe Winthrop 5.

I've found that instead of basing a good course on footage or par I prefer to think in terms of drives 30 drives is probably my ideal. Over 18 holes 30 drives allows for 12 multi drive holes and 6 aceable par 3s. This figures to a par 66-68 Its funny but on iron hill there were more than 30 drives required and right about my 30th drive it became a grind for me Focusing on drives required to me is a better barometer.

Charlottes Web

At 9100 ft. and par 70. Not sure which I think is tougher. The Web or Renny Gold,over 10,000.

Milo Mciver is still the longest I've played at 12,000 feet for 27 holes. Sad that it is not longer in the top ten on this site due to two noobs reviewing a long and demanding course...

I have to Give it to WR Jackson down here. I played that course as my second course one day and wanted to cry. My arm fell off and I had to carry it around in my bag with my discs. 18 holes, 9,325.

I will put the two gold level par 5s over 800 feet on the Highbridge Gold front nine and the one on Bear front nine up against any par 5s around except maybe Winthrop 5.

Were'd this come from?? I didn't challenge your ability to design great par 5's and that they're not out there. To me it seems that 90% of par 5's are just long and boring with no real thought put in outside of length. Alot of this probably has to do with noob designers. The great par 5's I've played (few and far between) have been designed by a qualified courses designer ..... i.e. Kenton, Nixt, McCormack, Houck, and the almighty Professor Kennedy

teach.gif

I'd putt hole 11 at Big Creek up against any hole as the best Par 5 under 700ft :D
..... and no its not a 650ft 10ft wide tunnel an no its not gimmicky (for those that are asking)

I wasn't responding regarding my design of par 5s in comparison to others so much as your comment regarding par 3s & 4s being more creatively designed than 5s. But I do agree that sometimes par 5s are just long transition holes with not much else going on but length.

Maybe I feel that it takes more skill to create an epic short hole because the majority of the holes in our sport are made up of short holes and very few stand out to me as amazing. Anyone can design a quasi-challenging par 3 or 4, but to make one that really stands out is rarely seen. It seems like the par 5's always stand out for most because of their length, while very few comment on a great par 3 or 4 (other than ones with unique aesthetics). I think many confuse the number of throws to get to a hole or number of trees in your way as what makes a hole difficult or not; very few focus on what shape a hole requires or when you have to choose what shot has a higher percentage of success when evaluating difficulty. Maybe I'm just a really picky SOB that has waaaay too high of standards ..... probably the most likely scenario :D

My longest were the late Still Waters Farm, right at 10,000', somewhat inflated by one quarter-mile hole; followed by W.R. Jackson. Both include(d) a number of sub-300-footers along with the monsters.

(Since I'm also a sub-300-footer, do I get bonus points? Jackson course for me is like a 13,000' course for a big arm).

Is the Ozark Mountain course in Vichy, MO public or private? The course description on this site says that it is on a farm, and you cannot view the course in the "map browser". Me and my brother want to go play there. Can we just show up whenever we want, or is it a tournament/invitation only course?

This is what it says in the PDGA Directory:
PRIVATE Ozark Mountain disc golf facility. Contact David to play.
(His phone numbers are posted there)

It's Dave McCormack's grandparents farm from what I understand and I think it's only maintained and mowed to prepare for events. So even if they let you play, it may be overgrown. Contact Dave to find out.