• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for 8 speed slightly overstable drivers

I received a Neutron Terra in the mail last night and gave it a good tryout this morning during my round. Rim measures in at 18.3mm. Super high PLH and flat topped compared to any Thunderbird I have, even my Thundervant run Thunderbird. Feel in the hand is awkward at first, but super amazing after you get used it it (only took a couple throws for me).

As far as flight goes, I have mostly positive impressions, but some mixed feelings. The Terra has a nice forward push, is VERY high speed stable, but also has a Firebird-esque dumping fade to it, rather than the panning fade of a Teebird/Thunderbird/or even Destroyers (granted I only throw pop-top Destroyers so I have no clue how flat Destroyers fade). The Terra's aggressive fade helps control distance, but at the same time I wish it had a little more carry/glide on that fade for more lateral play and just a tiny bit more distance.

My Star and Champion Thunderbirds pushed a little too long, and got somewhat squirrelly into headwinds above 10-15mph. My preferred release is hard and flat, and I'm super confident with the Terra in not turning over into headwinds, yet at the same time I find it a little longer than Firebirds, but with a similar flight, only a little more forward pushing.

I was not expecting the Terra to be as low glide as it is, but I'm also mostly satisfied with it, and I'm wondering how it cycles when seasoned in over time. For now I took out my Star Thunderbird in my minimalist bag, and replaced it with the Neutron Terra, so my OS Fairways are a Champion Thunderbird and the Neutron Terra.

I will say the Terra is EXTREMELY fun to throw on flex lines, even into headwinds. Basically you get Firebird dependability, but more distance potential. I can see why James Conrad wanted this disc to be made, as he loved flexing his really OS runs of Thunderbirds.

Just don't throw a Terra in Reno!

Pictured is the result of the first throw with it at The Ranch, a quite rocky local course. Sort of ruined higher speed gyro discs for me. True or not, I will now always be concerned about Gyro rim durability on rocky terrain. Probably was a fluke/very bad luck but regardless, I fixed it with a hot knife and traded it away. That was my first and last throw with that Terra.

I still throw Hexes, Paradoxes, Envys, and sometimes Relays/Resistors. I own two Insanities that I want to give a shot again. The rims on those seem more compact/durable than the Neutron Terra to me, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• 20220617_130239.jpg
    20220617_130239.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220617_130209.jpg
    20220617_130209.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
One of local courses here in San Antonio does have fairways full of rocks, some of which are rather sharp. I have gouged a couple of my discs up rather good. Some to the point where I can't mend them back together really easily. I do worry how the sharper nosed overmolds of MVP discs handle, as they do seem rather soft. That's not a good look right there.

On another note, I went ahead and ordered a Neutron Volt to see how one flies for me again. Maybe I threw a beat up one when I tried it out.

On another note, I went ahead and ordered a Neutron Volt to see how one flies for me again. Maybe I threw a beat up one when I tried it out.

Sticking to my recommendation from post #3. If that neutron isn't to your liking you may want to find a cosmic neutron. Preferably one with a little dome to it.

The Vulture fits the 1.8 rim (slightly larger) and is slightly OS.

Last edited:
I'm looking for that Teebird/Thunderbird shape in a true 8 speed fairway driver (18mm rim). I'm currently ironing out my minimal bag, and I'm rocking 2 FDs for my straight shape, a Roadrunner as my understable shape, and two Thunderbirds as my slightly overstable shape. The issue I have with the Thunderbirds is that they fly perhaps too far-- nearly as far as my Destroyer. The whole 'Thunderbirds are longer Teebirds' is pretty true I'm finding. That and I wouldn't mind the novelty of just trying something new out.

Does anybody have any ideas?

how does the teebird3 not line up perfectly here?

Teebird3s are too close to the C-FDs I have. I have not tried a Halo Teebird3 though. If I had the ability to change the thread title I'd say overstable but not meathook.

Last edited:
Teebird3s are too close to the C-FDs I have. I have not tried a Halo Teebird3 though. If I had the ability to change the thread title I'd say overstable but not meathook.

I go back and forth between Eagles and FD2s (3 tooled) here. Can't really recomend the FD2 since it is so hard to come by unless Innova starts producing them again (maybe under Infinite or Milenium). Most newer Eagles aren't that great, but I do really like the color glow Barsby ones that are still readily available.

Isn't the Undertaker speed 8? There are definitely some beefy Z or limited run Undertakers that could compete here.

Isn't the Undertaker speed 8? There are definitely some beefy Z or limited run Undertakers that could compete here.

You can get straight flying to insane OS Undertakers. . .my flat clear CryZtal is one of my most OS disc, its way more OS than a Sexton Firebird.
But a stock ESP has a nice straight flight with a nice hook at the end.

RPM Huia is another fun choice, 1,8cm rim and a OS but not a meat hook kind of flight

I dunno what it is about the Undertaker but I never got along with its hand feel. Plus rim? I had a pretty OS swirly TourZ Gannon that I gave my buddy last year.

Update on the Volt, I received my 175g Neutron Volt (purple of course) in the mail last night. I gave it a field session this morning and then a round.

THIS IS IT, or very close to it. Hand feel is good, doesn't feel quite as good as my Star Thunderbird or Neutron Terra. Rim measures in at 17.9mm as opposed to the 18.3m of the Terra. PLH and depth is the same, but the nose is sharper, compared to the blunter nose of the Terra. Both my Volt and Terra are as equally flat on top. I like that the Terra fills my hand more with its slightly wider rim and maybe blunter nose. I guess the major factor in the Terra acting more OS is its blunt nose-- much like a Firebird's nose compared to a Thunderbird's nose.

Flight wise, I found the Volt to go straight for a while, then reliably fade, but it has more of a traditional panning fade than the Terra's dumpy fade. 8/4/0/2 is what I'd rate my Neutron Volt. This is what the Teebird3 should have been: slightly wider rim than than Teebird, and more OS as a result of less glide. The Neutron Volt was reliably 20-30 feet shorter than my Star and Champion Thunderbird, and finished consistently 10-20 feet left of them on a RHBH. The Thunderbird is noticeably more glidey than the Volt. This is the range and amount of over-stability I'm looking for. I like throwing low-line lasers, and with the Volt, I can comfortably rip it hard into 5-10mph headwinds without worrying it'll drift too much, or burn into the ground. I threw my 175g Champion Thunderbird on a low line flat laser into a 5-7mph headwind while doing fieldwork, and it ended up burning into the ground after 2/3 of its flight. The Volt remained straight.

My only reservations I have with the Volt are hand feel. Simply put, I think the Terra feels better in the hand, and the Star Thunderbird was just meant for my hand (perfect hand feel IMO). The other big question I have regarding the Volt-- which only time will tell-- is the durability of its overmold. The material seems soft, and its nose is so sharp. I dont' know how well it'll hold up to hard hits into rocks etc.

For now I think I'll bag the Star Thunderbird, which for me flies like a 9/5/0/1, and the Volt, which I'd say is a 8/4/0/2. The Volt is the perfect complement for when I need a bit better range control and/or headwind resistance. Eventually I'd like a flippy Volt and new/OS Volt for mold simplicity. I may still be after some of those mythical super OS flat-topped Star Thunderbirds that I'm learning about in the Thunderbird thread though, because at the end of the day hand feel is everything, and nothing quite feels as good in the hand as a flat-topped Thunderbird.

Last edited:
Both my Volt and Terra are as equally flat on top. I like that the Terra fills my hand more with its slightly wider rim and maybe blunter nose.

Flight wise, I found the Volt to go straight for a while, then reliably fade, but it has more of a traditional panning fade than the Terra's dumpy fade. 8/4/0/2 is what I'd rate my Neutron Volt.

My only reservations I have with the Volt are hand feel. Simply put, I think the Terra feels better in the hand, and the Star Thunderbird was just meant for my hand (perfect hand feel IMO). The other big question I have regarding the Volt-- which only time will tell-- is the durability of its overmold. The material seems soft, and its nose is so sharp. I dont' know how well it'll hold up to hard hits into rocks etc.

I have the terra and volt and feel very much the same. The Volt was MVP's answer to the Thunderbird/Teebird as it kind of sits right between the two. But the shape and dimensions are much closer to Thunderbird. James Conrad used (And still uses) the volt before he helped develop the Terra.

MVP have been putting a lot into developing discs that are more modern shapes and more comfortable in the hand. One easy example is that I hate the photon. I know why I need it but I hate the feel in my hand. I can't wait for the Zenith, if it feels anything like the Terra I am going to be pumped.

As far as overmold durability I haven't seen too much issue with it. I have one course I play that is super rocky and the discs hold up fine. My terra hit the asphalt and it scraped the overmold a bit but didn't gouge or anything. Right now I am trying to get a Jackalope to beat into the solid US compliment to the volt while i wait for my fission volt to beat in more.

Just wanna followup that I was probably tired last night measuring the rim width of the Volt. It comes in at 18.7mm, and the Terra is still it 18.2/18.3mm. Both have the same rim depth as well, at 15/32 of an inch. The more full hand feel might come from the slightly more blunted nose of the Terra. I have a similar experience with the Anax vs the Thunderbird, where their rim widths are fairly close, but the Thunderbird has a bit more blunt of a nose and feels better in my hand.

Flight wise, I found the Volt to go straight for a while, then reliably fade, but it has more of a traditional panning fade than the Terra's dumpy fade. 8/4/0/2 is what I'd rate my Neutron Volt. The Neutron Volt was reliably 20-30 feet shorter than my Star and Champion Thunderbird, and finished consistently 10-20 feet left of them on a RHBH. The Thunderbird is noticeably more glidey than the Volt. This is the range and amount of over-stability I'm looking for. I like throwing low-line lasers, and with the Volt, I can comfortably rip it hard into 5-10mph headwinds without worrying it'll drift too much, or burn into the ground. I threw my 175g Champion Thunderbird on a low line flat laser into a 5-7mph headwind while doing fieldwork, and it ended up burning into the ground after 2/3 of its flight. The Volt remained straight.

Exactly how my Neutron Volt flies for me, which is why I was surprised by your initial experience with one. Definitely my favorite fairway driver right now.

Eventually I'd like a flippy Volt and new/OS Volt for mold simplicity.

I just got 2 Fission Volts trying to accomplish the same thing. One is the same weight as my Neutron. According to Jordan Castro, the Fission Volt at the same weight should be more OS. I also got one that's about 10g lighter than my Neutron Volt. Hoping I can get a nice reliable slow turn with that one, or a nice hyzer flip for tunnel shots. I'll try to remember to check in after I've had some time to play with the Fissions.

Just wanna followup that I was probably tired last night measuring the rim width of the Volt. It comes in at 18.7mm, and the Terra is still it 18.2/18.3mm. Both have the same rim depth as well, at 15/32 of an inch. The more full hand feel might come from the slightly more blunted nose of the Terra. I have a similar experience with the Anax vs the Thunderbird, where their rim widths are fairly close, but the Thunderbird has a bit more blunt of a nose and feels better in my hand.

The mixing of units here triggers me big time

You gotta be inclusive these days, even for measurement units. Nah I just measured the depth real quickly using my 32nd inch ruler and didn't feel like converting.

The Volt is fantastic. The Fission Volt has been my go-to driver since it's release.