• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Looking for a "driving" putter

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
I currently put with Virbram VP's and I have a Zone in the bag for utility, but I don't really have anything for driving that I like. The VP rim is too deep for how I would drive and the Zone is just to stable. I'm not the biggest fan anymore of Wizards so those are out, but what are some good putters for driving? I was looking at the Rhyno, but I'm not as knowledgeable in putters so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I have used many different putters for driving. Nothing keeps up with the Opto pure. holds any line, and will fade if thrown flat or with hyzer.

pure or ridge if you like vibram its a more shallow good HSS driving putter like a slower pure in flight (shorter)

I personally like a RGL Pure and N Anodes but Ions are good for windy situations.

What didn't you like about the wizard? That's one of the most popular driving putters, and many of the others at the top of the list are fairly similar shape wise.

What didn't you like about the wizard? That's one of the most popular driving putters, and many of the others at the top of the list are fairly similar shape wise.

At least on the ones that I've thrown, the rim is very rounded. It's a larger, "bubble" rim (as I like to call it) rather than a flatter, more compact rim. Don't get me wrong, its a great disc, but I don't really like the feel in hand. I actually putted with them all last year until my friend introduced me to the Vibram putters and I love those.

Then you're not going to like Ions, Anodes, Aviars, Focuses (Foci?), Challengers or Ridges, they're all fairly similar. FWIW, it might be worth getting used to that feel, that group of putters are the best you'll find for being able to shape different lines and have some versatility.

Opto Pure. /Thread.

For real. END THE THREAD HERE!

Exactly what I came in here to say. I fell for Pures off the tee on my first throw in the same way I fell for Wizards on my first putt with them. I started with a TM2 but quickly switched (not quick enough to not stock up on them :() to Optos and haven't looked back.

At least on the ones that I've thrown, the rim is very rounded. It's a larger, "bubble" rim (as I like to call it) rather than a flatter, more compact rim. Don't get me wrong, its a great disc, but I don't really like the feel in hand. I actually putted with them all last year until my friend introduced me to the Vibram putters and I love those.

pures are very low profile. you would love them. they mash up well with a Zone from Discraft. The feel in your hand is rather similar so they pair up well.

Rhyno is a great disc. But for me it's a little too beefy, I throw the Ion whenever I need a driving putter. It'll handle all the power and go straight like a laser. The plastic is super durable, great hand feel.

I've never thrown a pure, but of the putters I have thrown, the Ion is by far my favorite.

Latest posts