• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for a fairway driver that has 2.0+ cm wide rim.

Malawi

Par Member
Is there any wide rim fairway driver out there?
Like 2.0 cm or more?

I dont like the feel of small rimed discs. I know it probably has to do with my grip but sometimes i released them slightly right so i miss my line and dont want to chance my footwork to aim more left. Right now i have to throw a Musket or a Thunderbird even a Tern sometimes to know i hit the line att shorter distance below 150-300feet, atleast for BH. Putters work with my index finger on the rim but its not optimal.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're ripe for throwing nothing but dx Rocs for a couple of months. That should sort out your problem

Sounds like you're ripe for throwing nothing but dx Rocs for a couple of months. That should sort out your problem

This method sure helped me sort out some problems.

Disc speeds are defined by their rim widths. Most 10 speed discs will have a 2.0 cm rim. Fairway drivers go up to 8 or 9 speed and have rims of 1.9 cm or less.

After you master the Rocs you might like a 10 speed DX Beast.

Disc speeds are defined by their rim widths. Most 10 speed discs will have a 2.0 cm rim. Fairway drivers go up to 8 or 9 speed and have rims of 1.9 cm or less.

^This is the answer. A Lat64 XXX is listed as a 7 speed, but has a 9 speed rim width. Once beat up, they can turn a little and fade back. New they are very beefy. I play with players who don't use mids, they power down their drivers.

Beast and Orc are good Innova suggestions.

This basically. The whole concept of a "fairway driver" was basically "how do we market speed 6-7 drivers now that we have speed 9-10 drivers?" Your classic control driver (I hate the term "fairway driver") is going to have a 1.7 cm rim; that's just what they are.

Last edited:
Like 2.0 cm or more?

I dont like the feel of small rimed discs. I know it probably has to do with my grip but sometimes i released them slightly right so i miss my line and dont want to chance my footwork to aim more left. Right now i have to throw a Musket or a Thunderbird even a Tern sometimes to know i hit the line att shorter distance below 150-300feet, atleast for BH. Putters work with my index finger on the rim but its not optimal.
Throwing nothing but huge winged discs is going to be hugely limiting for your short game. If you are playing for fun, you can just power down on a Boss and there you go. You can probably have fun doing that. If you want to improve or play remotely seriously, you are just going to have to suck it up and practice with putters and mids until you get used to them. There is really no way on earth I can imagine being competitive throwing 150' upshots with a 2.0 cm winged disc, those discs simply are not designed with those shots in mind.

Once you get used to putters and mids, fairway drivers are a piece of cake.

Last edited:
When I started playing disc golf I was used to throwing frisbees with my index finger on the outside of the rim. A regular fan grip or power grip felt really weird to me. But I just powered through the weird feeling and after a while those grips felt normal. So maybe you just need to spend more time throwing smaller-rimmed discs, even if they don't feel right. Eventually they'll probably start to feel ok.

Dynamic Escape - 2.0 rim, classified as a fairway.

Last edited:
Infinite Discs, advanced disc search, disc dimensions.

I really like their advanced disc search feature when I'm searching for something specific. I'm assuming that you want something that will hold a line at low speeds and won't skip much. So add understable and a soft grippy plastic to your search. If you can accept a 1.9 rim you'll have far more options.

I will now make a suggestion that you won't hear from anyone else. A Skyquest Lucky 13. It is a very, very understable driver in a grippy plastic, but since you're throwing high speed drivers so slowly a touchy disc might prove to be the right choice. Or, it could be the worst $15 plus shipping you'll ever spend. It's a rare bird, but then so are your requirements.

If I had to have what you're looking for, I'd also go volt.

But I'd rather fix my game. Putters and mids are far better suited for what you wanna do.

Like 2.0 cm or more?

There isn't one. But, a Roc or KCPro Roc will show you everything about your form and what work is needed. The problem you describe will only be amplified by sticking with plus 10 speed discs and you are probably over compensating i.e overpowering with those discs already.
Disc down, and learn how to do everything with nothing faster than a 7 speed. Do that for a couple months, i.e. the winter.

There isn't one. But, a Roc or KCPro Roc will show you everything about your form and what work is needed. The problem you describe will only be amplified by sticking with plus 10 speed discs and you are probably over compensating i.e overpowering with those discs already.
Disc down, and learn how to do everything with nothing faster than a 7 speed. Do that for a couple months, i.e. the winter.

Well i need to power it down with any type of driver. Usually my lower speeds like a crave if using a xstep can go to 380 not so much less then my Mayhem or Shryke. Trying to take a small plant step for less distance and using forehand for tunnelshots up to 270. But i will try just bring 7 or lower with me next session and see how it goes :) and try more of a fan grip aswell.

Well i need to power it down with any type of driver. Usually my lower speeds like a crave if using a xstep can go to 380 not so much less then my Mayhem or Shryke. Trying to take a small plant step for less distance and using forehand for tunnelshots up to 270. But i will try just bring 7 or lower with me next session and see how it goes :) and try more of a fan grip aswell.

Hmmm if you like the crave the Volt is very similar just with a wider rim. Speed 8, the two are likely redundant in the same bag.

Latest posts