• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a new disc golf camera

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
My old disc golf camera died. Trying to see if I can get it repaired or exchanged on warranty. In the meantime I got a similar, but cheaper model. The image quality isn't quite as clear as I'd hope...footage has been turning out pretty dark. So I'm planning to buy a nicer one, maybe a new tripod to go with it.

I'm looking for something that has a minimum of 16x optical zoom. Preferably one that zooms in and out smoothly instead of in set intervals.

Good battery life is nice, but whatever I get I'll probably buy a second battery for.

Prefer one that charges with a standard mini or micro USB cable as opposed to a proprietary charger

Budget is 500$, cheaper is nice but I don't want to sacrifice image quality to get to a certain price point lower than that.

I'm not well versed in technical aspects of cameras, but considering one of the issues I'm having with my new camera is the image quality is too dark, I'd like the sensor in my new one to be capable of clear video on overcast days.

Lastly, some sort of built in lens cover is nice. Some portable camera don't have them and that makes me nervous carrying them around the course without one.

Any suggestions? I don't get much time to golf compared to years ago, so when I do get time to shoot test videos, I need the footage to be quality.

Great seeing you on the course yesterday trying to make some videos of new discs, I guess you'll also need a new camera to record your new daughter!

The 16x zoom you mention is critical. Good choice. I have only 10x on my current HD cam and it is not great for shooting live golf despite the generally nice image quality. My old SD 20x zoom was so much more capable in capturing the long shots needed on the course. If I was doing any serious shooting these days I would have to have been much pickier on the optical zoom.

I find shooting without a viewfinder very difficult. The LCD screen is just too hard to see in most situations on the course.

Unfortunately, viewfinders have been engineered out of many currently produced cameras. And many of those which are now produced are very small and perhaps inadequate.

There are so many models and features its hard to keep them straight. There are nice cam review articles, feature comparisons, and recommendations online and I found those helpful.

I would definitely explore the used market. Identify a few likely models from a few years ago which fit your needs and keep an eye open for them on Ebay. It may take a few weeks but something useful will turn up, probably with a pile of accessories at a decent price.

Best of luck on your search.

Joe

I would like to echo what DGL said.
Models that are a year or two behind the present models are still available, even new.
They would have the same capability, but not the up-to-date marketing and packaging.
Consider doing your research and then looking on eBay, then be patient.
When I got my camcorder, I saved a bundle

I've had good luck with the Canon Vixia series and Sony HDR. There are models in both that should fit in your price range. The HF-R series is what most people buy and are usually under $500. If you could squeeze an extra $100-$125, you could upgrade to the HF-G series. The G series are really nice. I've been contemplating picking up a G20, but still on the fence. I think most of the lower priced Canon models are 10x though.

Other models I've been looking at are:
- Sony HDR-PJ540 (The projector feature isn't necessary, but is kind of cool)
- Sony HDR-CX405 (I like the price and features in this one)
- Canon Vixia R62 (I like the price of this and the features)

** This is a camcorder that I'd be mounting to my Zuca Cart. So I would be mainly using it for DG.

I'm looking for something that has a minimum of 16x optical zoom. Preferably one that zooms in and out smoothly instead of in set intervals.

Good battery life is nice, but whatever I get I'll probably buy a second battery for.

Prefer one that charges with a standard mini or micro USB cable as opposed to a proprietary charger

Budget is 500$, cheaper is nice but I don't want to sacrifice image quality to get to a certain price point lower than that.

I'm not well versed in technical aspects of cameras, but considering one of the issues I'm having with my new camera is the image quality is too dark, I'd like the sensor in my new one to be capable of clear video on overcast days.

Re Zoom, I've found you really don't need much over 12, but 16 is def nice to have. Most of them have digital zoom on top of optical, which can get you a little more zoom w/o compromising quality too much.

Re battery life, whatever you get, go on amazon and search Wasabi Power + camera model. They make great batteries for al cameras, and they have super high capacity. Last for 3-4 hours. I have them for all my Panasonics, and my workhorse Sony (PXW-X70).

I bet you could get one of my older panasonic's for 500 or less (I have). 700 and 900 series. They've lasted me for 5 years with 0 issues. They shoot 1080 60p (which should also be added to your requirements list btw).

If your footage is coming out too dark, the number one thing you want to look for is sensor size. Bigger the better. My Sony has a 1 inch sensor, which is pretty nuts for camcorder. It shoots great in low light.

I find shooting without a viewfinder very difficult. The LCD screen is just too hard to see in most situations on the course.

Unfortunately, viewfinders have been engineered out of many currently produced cameras. And many of those which are now produced are very small and perhaps inadequate.

I would definitely explore the used market. Identify a few likely models from a few years ago which fit your needs and keep an eye open for them on Ebay. It may take a few weeks but something useful will turn up, probably with a pile of accessories at a decent price.

Best of luck on your search.

Joe

Funny, me and all the guys that shoot for me are the opposite. We all use the LCD screen. Using the viewfinder I found really hard.

Good advice on the used market though. All of my cams were bought used.

DSLR or point and shoot?

DSLRs are garbage for filming disc golf (my opinion). He meant camcorder.

I can go either way when it comes to viewfinders and LCD screens.

I've had good luck with the Canon Vixia series and Sony HDR. There are models in both that should fit in your price range. The HF-R series is what most people buy and are usually under $500. If you could squeeze an extra $100-$125, you could upgrade to the HF-G series. The G series are really nice. I've been contemplating picking up a G20, but still on the fence. I think most of the lower priced Canon models are 10x though.

Other models I've been looking at are:
- Sony HDR-PJ540 (The projector feature isn't necessary, but is kind of cool)
- Sony HDR-CX405 (I like the price and features in this one)
- Canon Vixia R62 (I like the price of this and the features)

** This is a camcorder that I'd be mounting to my Zuca Cart. So I would be mainly using it for DG.

The Vixia HF R700 is pretty close to my last Panasonic camera. I think mine was limited to 30fps at 1080, 60fps only available at lower resolutions.

Re Zoom, I've found you really don't need much over 12, but 16 is def nice to have. Most of them have digital zoom on top of optical, which can get you a little more zoom w/o compromising quality too much.

Re battery life, whatever you get, go on amazon and search Wasabi Power + camera model. They make great batteries for al cameras, and they have super high capacity. Last for 3-4 hours. I have them for all my Panasonics, and my workhorse Sony (PXW-X70).

I bet you could get one of my older panasonic's for 500 or less (I have). 700 and 900 series. They've lasted me for 5 years with 0 issues. They shoot 1080 60p (which should also be added to your requirements list btw).

Filming with other people I like having a nice optical zoom. It's not as critical for solo filming, but I'm coming from a 42x model so I was pretty spoiled in that regard.

Forgot to mention 1080p60fps. Good call. Having some higher FPS modes at 720p or higher would be welcome, something I'd pay extra for.

Great seeing you on the course yesterday trying to make some videos of new discs, I guess you'll also need a new camera to record your new daughter!

It was nice running into you. I'll try to free up a Sunday morning sometime soon.

Good discussion. Thinking about it more, I guess my problem viewing via LCD is more my old-man eyes than anything else. With a viewfinder, I can operate without reading glasses since there is a focal adjustment on the viewfinder (no glasses necessary). If I want to try to view with the darn LCD, I have to have my reading specs on.

Good luck with finding a suitable unit. Be patient and take a few weeks to follow the market for the cam models you are considering so you know what to expect to pay on ebay. Like Ian, I have had great success with used cams over the years.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you end up with.

Joe