• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Looking for a new distance driver (sidearmer)

Boompaman

So I've been playing disc golf for about a month now and I mainly use a sidarm throw due to my backhand being extremely.... lacking. Luckily I play in New England and our courses tend to be heavily forested so mega distance isn't required. However I do feel like I can improve; my max throw is about 330' with the Champion Orc. I also use the Westside King for distance and the Groove for a reliable fade. Is there any discs that sidearmers specifically use? Thanks for any advice and hopefully I posted in the right forum.!

The Destroyer is a great disc for Forehand drives, i have seen some pros use the destroyer forehand.

If you are only getting just over 330' right now, i would suggest maybe a lower speed disc, like a Wraith.

MVP Makes a disc called the Volt that i love for forehand throws, i prefer the Proton Volt for forehand specifically for its more HSS flight.

Cant go wrong with a Destroyer (if you can handle a disc that fast) otherwise the Wraith or Volt might be good options.

There's no magic disc/s for sidearm. Many people have different preferences & different discs work for different people. Many people (including myself) say that you shouldn't use really overstable discs when learning how to throw forehand b/c overstable discs tend to mask flaws. If you feel confident in your forehand ability & have good form I'd say you could handle a OS disc but b/c I've never watched you throw, you can make that judgment for yourself. If you think you can handle a overstable disc popular choices are the Firebird, XXX & Predator. When purchasing an overstable disc I'd recomend getting it in Champion/Elite Z type plastic so the disc stays overstable. If you're planning on staying a forehand dominate player I'd recommenced learning how to throw understable discs as well as stable & overstable. Learning how to throw understable discs which allows you to have a shot in your bag that goes the opposite direction of your normal sidearm throw & they help show form flaws in the process to make you a better player. For the understbale slot in your bag I'd recommend trying a Leopard, Amp or River. As for your stable slot I'd recommend the Teebird, Volt or Rival. Even if you do decide to peruse learning backhand all of the discs I've recommended are great for both sidearm & backhand so you won't be at a lose at all & won't have wasted any money buying plastic.

I will throw sidearm shots as often as the hole will allow. The great sidearm players like Sarah Hokum, can throw any disc sidearm. I've seen Hokum park a tightly wooded hole with a sidearm hyzer flip up that turned at the end of it's flight with a Meteor. The less stable the disc the more you have to tip the wing down on release. If you play strictly sidearm you will need to learn how to throw this type of shot for anhyzers that turn left. Because I have a backhand that I can run out to 300ft, I throw my sidearm shots with over stable discs only. This allows me to learn one angle of release (which is essentially flat). My bag includes 8 OS discs that I use for my sidearm shots and 1 under stable disc I use for a roller. I only buy Z plastic or champion plastic for sidearm discs. These seem to keep their stability much longer. My longest flying disc is a Z Nuke. It has great stability, yet it will flip just enough that it can ride an S curve and finish with a hyzer. This disc is my 350-400ft driver. For really windy conditions, elevated tees, or a sharp fade to the right I throw my Z Nuke OS. Brand new they are really tight and over stable, however, as they beat in a little bit they loosen up and become awesome sidearm discs. For me they travel 260-295, because they want to fade early. My go to discs are 3 Champion Bosses. One is beat in and a little flippy, one is stable, and a newer one that is a little bit over stable. The Boss is great from 280-335. The beat in Boss doesn't fade as much as it decelerates. I also carry a Z Force. This is solid into a headwind, but is a little shorter than the boss. The Force has a range for me from 265-315. It will hyzer (or fade) a little more than my Boss. I use a Predator as my stationary get out of trouble midrange disc. It performs best with a little less torque. It's great from 200-240. I have an XCaliber that I use for thumbers up to 180 and a Valkyrie for rollers up to 260. The star destroyer and wraith, which many rave about, are too flippy for my normal sidearm torque.

TeeBird and Eagle.

Notice that your longest distance of the three discs you listed is with the slowest. I'd dare say you'd get even more distance if you went with even slower discs. You'd also have the added benefit of getting better feedback about the inevitable flaws you have in your throw that will help you eliminate them and begin throwing not only further than you do now but also with increased accuracy.

Last edited:
So I've been playing disc golf for about a month now and I mainly use a sidarm throw due to my backhand being extremely.... lacking. Luckily I play in New England and our courses tend to be heavily forested so mega distance isn't required. However I do feel like I can improve; my max throw is about 330' with the Champion Orc. I also use the Westside King for distance and the Groove for a reliable fade. Is there any discs that sidearmers specifically use? Thanks for any advice and hopefully I posted in the right forum.!

The Orc is a good disc. It was my primary driver for many years when I was also throwing exclusively sidearm. Stick with it, there's no reason to change it up.

If you really are itching to try something new, try a Nuke. That's my current max distance sidearm disc.

Also, where in New England are you?

I throw everything I have both BH and FH. Except the Comet, she's a tricky b***h that I get great and awful shots from, but working on it. Wraith is my go-to sidearm disc for longer holes (350+), feels great in hand.

I your playing heavily wooded courses it would be beneficial to learn to throw some stable/under stable stuff. Tee birds, eagle's, saints. they're all fun to throw and super controllable. They will only help your game.

Wraith is also a great choice for OS.

DITCH THE GROOVE!

haha in all seriousness, this thread is full of opinions more so than fact. The only way to know for sure is to try different discs.

It is true you can throw any disc sidearm or backhand. Any plastic can work well too.

I like tbird's recommendation about trying something slower. I will add that I'd recommend something mildly ovestable to stable. I think Teebird and Eagle are perfect choices. I don't believe you will ever outgrow those discs especially if the courses you play often require tight accuracy.

Get rid of the groove an learn to chuck a volt 400. It's possible trust me. Slower speed discs will tie your form and give you more D than a speed 13 driver

A Vibram Ascent would be an excellent control driver option.

But as stated, any disc can be thrown FH or BH, throw what feels right, and try throwing some fairway drivers instead of warp speed distance drivers.

I throw everything I have both BH and FH. Except the Comet, she's a tricky b***h that I get great and awful shots from, but working on it. Wraith is my go-to sidearm disc for longer holes (350+), feels great in hand.

My roommate just recently discovered that he can drive farther and more accurately with a sidearm and his go to driver is a wraith. He uses a champ wraith for OS stuff and a Star wraith for his S-turn and long bomb drives.

I throw a beast at a hyzer angle I also use a destroyer and a firebird

Orc is good, don't get rid of it or stop throwing it by any means.

Wraith will be a little faster, drives forward well and is solid in all 4 plastics it's made in. Champ is nice and OS, Star solidly stable, Pro/DX have some turn and still keep the fade new yet beat into nice neutral/understable discs.

PD, can't go wrong here. PD is to the wraith what the Teebird is to the Eagle. More HSS, touch less LSS. Straighter lines, less flexing ability. If you play wooded courses that need some tunnel shots, pick this one.

Speaking of which, Teebirds and Eagles are great too.

For stuff a little less stable than the above drivers: Volt, Viking, SL ('Pro Starfires' are SL molds btw), Saint, there's lots you get the idea.

That all being said, do yourself a favor and grab a Champ/Star Sidewinder (or something you like in the same stability range). These babies work wonders and are just effortless. I used to drive mostly XCals and other such big time OS discs, and while they are nice sometimes now for big flexy max distance shots or the occasional 90 degree doglegs, when more neutral stuff is your bread and butter it's much easier on the arm/smoother/more relaxed. It's a really nice feeling parking a sidewinder 300+ from a nice easy one step throw, and multiple rounds are a breeze.

I never flicked with the destroyer, something about it felt weird in the hand with a forehand grip. I like the pd for more control shots, but its gotta be a flatter one. Domey discs just don't feel right in my hand. Currently I'm getting my best forehand d with a 168 bio fusion trespass, they flat out crush. I have also been tinkering with a heavier air giant and its a fun disc to throw too.