• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Looking for a shallow rimmed mid-range

Old Dog

Eagle Member
Help! I know that the Buzzz is arguably the #1 mid range on the planet but I just can't seem to get a good handle on it.

First a little background. I am over 50, have smallish hands and also have some problems with arthritis. If I grip it like most experienced players suggest with my finger tips against the inside of the rim my release is erratic. Sometimes the Buzzz slips out of my grip early and goes left or I grip lock it and fire the thing off hard right. My shallow rimmed Beast and Leopard feel much better in my hand and generally release well.

Is there a mid-range driver with a shallower rim than the Buzzz that might work for an old guy beginner such as myself?

Dude, check out a dx XD. XDs are super low-profile, and I've yet to feel anything with a shallower rim :)| :|).

:thmbup:

The Wedge is built for small hands. A Star Wedge would be a great beginner mid.

Wedge or Cobra? :\ I'm also over 50 & liked those starting out. My daughter throws the Wedges now, and I hung the Cobra on the wall after hitting my first tournament ace with it. :p

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I checked out the info on the Wedge, Stingray and Cobra published on the DGC website and they all sound promising.

Fuse for sure. Small comfortable rim, stable to understable. Excellent!

Innova Mako or Coyote. Even the Atlas has a pretty shallow rim. Of the three(which I have thrown each) I like the Coyote the most. It is a neutral stable to understable beadles mid-range. It is a very easy disc to learn how to use and will do most jobs quite well. Headwinds can be a little tricky, but with proper release angle it will fly in a headwind.

Wedge or Cobra? :\ I'm also over 50 & liked those starting out. My daughter throws the Wedges now, and I hung the Cobra on the wall after hitting my first tournament ace with it. :p

Why not take it off the wall and get more aces :thmbup:

Have you tried a fan grip with your mids?

This. I had to move to a fan grip. I also use a stack grip. Index finger curled around the disc and the rest of my fingers stacked on the flight plate. The stack I use more for power, the fan grip I use for accuracy and placement.

If you're looking for understable and like the Stingray, I'll suggest a Crosslap Lucky. It's my personal favorite midrange disc.