• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

looking for a straight driver

Which is a better driver? Has anyone thrown both, and prefers one?

• Innova Krait

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Surge SS

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

mikepowles

I want a fairly straight flying distance driver, and think that either the krait or surge ss would be a good option for me. They have the exact same flight ratings, so I am wondering if anyone has tried both and has a preference.

The Krait is a good bit more overstable for me than the Surge SS. The Krait I have now I save for headwind days. It's for sale BTW. 166 I think. Champion.

I really want whichever one ends straightest. Because I throw a teerex and a tern, and want something in between to try to narrow my lineup down to 3 main drivers.

Be advised though that what you're looking for might turn out not to exist. It would appear that the wider the rim of the disc, the narrower the cruising speed (speed range where it goes straight), and after about speed 9-10 a disc that flies straight without a very specific power range or hyzerflipping it is a very very rare thing indeed.

I know it probly doesnt exist, but im just wondering which of the two finishes with less fade

I also did look at a discraft stalker, but wanted a little more distance. Speed 11 seems to fit me really well, but maybe the stalker would work.

Well the straightest distance drivers I've thrown have been Westside Swords, but only around 380-400', before that they fade significantly. And the balance is so fine at that point anyway that the next disc you get will probably fly slightly differently anyway. You can find mids and fairway drivers that do consistently fly straight (MD2 and TeeBird spring to mind), but distance drivers start to be so touchy that it's hard to develop that sort of trust on any of them. Learning to hyzerflip a slightly understable disc that won't fade too much is probably the straightest shot at long distances. Keeping it as low as possible and getting as much spin on it as possible will help further.

To kind of piggyback on what others are saying, I only throw my Terns and Destroyers when I have a lot of right/left space to play with. My high speed stuff is only for chewing up large amounts of distance without as much regard for pinpoint accuracy. If I don't have perfect conditions to throw a high-speed driver, I'm throwing a Leopard, TeeBird, or Firebird (if not a Roc). At the Live Oak course here in San Antonio (kinda), there are/were 38 holes. The course is fairly long, but I only throw high-speed stuff on *maybe* 5-6 holes. Most holes, I drive with a Roc or a Leopard.

so what you guys are saying is that I should learn to hyzer flip my MVP amp so that it flies straight, and that may be my best bet here, over going with the surge ss or the krait?

or maybe go with the stalker? I believe the flight ratings (innova scale) are 8, 5, -1, 1. If I got that, my distance drivers would be teerex, nuke ss, and tern. and then my fairways would be shock, stalker, and amp. How does that sound?

mikepowles said:
or maybe go with the stalker? I believe the flight ratings (innova scale) are 8, 5, -1, 1. If I got that, my distance drivers would be teerex, nuke ss, and tern. and then my fairways would be shock, stalker, and amp. How does that sound?

It sounds like too many molds. Fewer molds, more discs of the same mold in different states of wear. I carry two fairway drivers; TeeBirds and Leopards (as well as a Firebird for specialty shots, but not a regular disc). I also carry two distance discs: Destroyers and Terns. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Terns and beating in Destroyers for simplicity. The upshot (no pun intended) is you might be better served by practicing shaping lines with more neutral discs than carrying a bunch of molds. My personal philosophy (YMMV, of course) for drivers is:

1 slower understable mold
1 slower neutral to overstable mold
1 faster understable mold
1 faster overstable mold
(I also carry 1 mold for trick/specialty shots like thumbers, spike hyzers, forehand rollers, etc., but this disc isn't typically thrown normally)

The rest is just line shaping. Hell, I can throw my Leopards on hyzer lines if I want or give it a little gas, throw it flat, and have it turn over. Personally, I wouldn't over-think the disc selection and simply work on throwing straight.

keltik said:
it starts with an L and rhymes with shepherd.

This. Really, with enough control and maybe some good plastic selection, one could really make this the only fairway driver you need, especially for beginners.

At that range beast is the straightest i have found and it hyzer flip compensates better in winds than the faster crank which is close otherwise but cannot take any headwind without higher risk of judgment error. And less powering down tolerance. Not reliable but the straightest i have found is a broken in dx Leopard that flips a lot and dies in the wind.

Leopards are great, and I think would be a great choice if you want something that is going to fly really straight and finish with minimal fade right now. However, the straightest flying thing I have ever thrown is a beat in champ teebird. This thing will fly, with a very slight hyzer flip, 360-390 and land almost flat. It's also great for releasing dead flat and flying and landing flat anywhere from 280-350 or so. Beat in a teebird.

I would also like to suggest a S-FD. It is slower than a surge-ss or Krait, but has almost no fade and a ton of glide. Definitely long for a fairway driver.

Don't know how useful it is to suggest a whole bunch of understable fairway drivers, when the question was about straight distance drivers. If we're dropping down to fairway driver speeds then the choice is pretty obvious: There's hardly a straighter driver in existence than the TeeBird.

Leo is definitely harder to keep from annies but Stalker is not any less hss at his power in mild winds and fades less than the Teebird. Actually i have flipping Teebirds and have had one flipping when new Stalker and three non flippers. There are less fading drivers than the Teebird. Some are reasonably hss too like the Fury and the TL. Stalker is shorter being a tweener but QJLS is very close to my TBs in hss and less lss faster and longer. I had a non flipping c tb almost ten years ago and the rest have flipped a degree or two. They say that tournament TBs such as Brinsters are beefier. They could be good if the least possibme lss can be substituted for wind handling hss. There a robust Teebird has the edge on these other options save for the glo z Stalker perhaps.

Latest posts