• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Looking for Putter similar to Champion Classic Roc

GoldenGoat

The first disc I ever bought was a Champion Classic Roc, I've had the disc for about 10 years now and I think it's time to retire it. I've been choosing to use my Roc3 as a putter recently since it has the same flat top and small bead but it's just not working as well for me as it has a more mid range lip and the larger diameter. I have 8 other putters, including a DX classic roc, but none are really that similar to what I'm used to.

So I'm looking for a putter in Champion (or equivalent) plastic with a fairly flat top, and small bead. Any ideas?

I wouldnt really consider a Champ Classic Roc a putter...But they are unique and awesome little mids.
Is your's the Ontario mold?

There are some discs that have recently hit the market that are similar.
Axiom Envy (and maybe Alias)
Westside Harp (a bit more OS than the CCR)

^Those are both kinda tweener mid/putters and feel similar to the CCR though they may not be exact replicas in flight

The Latitude64 Opto Pure is more ofa low profile putter mold, but flys very similar to the CCR
it wont feel quite the same, but it does feel great. The Opto Pure is what kicked out my CCR.

I used it for longer upshots and driving, not putting so YMMV

I wouldnt really consider a Champ Classic Roc a putter...But they are unique and awesome little mids.
Is your's the Ontario mold?

No mines a CE CCR. I wouldn't consider mine a mid as I would never power grip it or throw more than a 150 ft upshot with it..

the have star classic rocs at the innova store... maybe that might be similar (since you were using a super beat in CE champion classic).

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-classic-roc.html

st-clr-xx-yellow.png

There are some discs that have recently hit the market that are similar.
Axiom Envy (and maybe Alias)
Westside Harp (a bit more OS than the CCR)

^Those are both kinda tweener mid/putters and feel similar to the CCR though they may not be exact replicas in flight

The Latitude64 Opto Pure is more ofa low profile putter mold, but flys very similar to the CCR
it wont feel quite the same, but it does feel great. The Opto Pure is what kicked out my CCR.

The Envy looks pretty close to what I'm looking for but the harp is definately too overstable. I throw my putts with a little anhyzer and like it to turn a little and fade back level. The opto pure might be too stable, the flight numbers on a classic roc show as 3 3 0 2 on the innova site.

You could try a Tank. I got a buddy who used the DX Classic Rocs,but now he uses a Tank. He loves them things.

WTF? In oposite world maybe

In a sense yes in opposite world, but at the same time if we're talking large rimmed mids...And if we're talking putting, then stability really isn't part of the equation anymore either. Some people really like putting with midrange discs around here, pick what feels good in the hand.

the have star classic rocs at the innova store... maybe that might be similar (since you were using a super beat in CE champion classic).

Yea I saw that, I'm looking for champion equivalent plastic because its usually pretty windy at the courses I play and they seem to fight the wind a little better.

The Envy looks pretty close to what I'm looking for but the harp is definately too overstable. I throw my putts with a little anhyzer and like it to turn a little and fade back level. The opto pure might be too stable, the flight numbers on a classic roc show as 3 3 0 2 on the innova site.

Pure is 3 3 0 1. Definitely not overstable, just what I would consider stable.

Yea I saw that, I'm looking for champion equivalent plastic because its usually pretty windy at the courses I play and they seem to fight the wind a little better.

I'd give a star version a chance just to try it out. It might be the same disc but in star plastic. Star plastic can be quite overstable (especially in comparison to a 10 year old beat in champion plasic).

You can put in a request with the order to give you the stiffest/highest PLH one they have in stock.

If it compares then you know you have something that's still in production (at the innova pro shop at least) at a fixed price.

If you want to keep the mid feel go get a couple dx gators and throw them for a few weeks to knock the stability out of them. My buddy uses these. If not the envy is the ticket. I use the soft neutron but the proton version is good too. You just might want to throw it into a couple honeysuckles to rough it up alittle for grip.

Thank you, I think you may have solved my problem. The Chiefs flight characteristics are the same and the dimensions are almost spot on.

Yes sir. I'd opt to go for the Chief OS. It is much more reliable in the wind and will season in to be a great up shot disc. The standard Chief gets squirrely very quickly.

As a lover of the CR I must say the DGA Breaker is an excellent alternative to dishing out $40-100 for a Ontario tooled Classic Roc. The breaker comes in a star-like and champ-like plastic. It is small diameter, very flat, and very stable.

Breaker vs. Classic Roc Dimensions

Diameter: 21.0 cm vs. 21.2 cm
Height: 1.7 cm vs. 2.0 cm
Rim Depth: 1.2 cm vs. 1.2 cm
Rim Width: 1.0 cm vs. 0.9 cm
Max Weight: 173.00 g vs. 175g

The Salient Vaccine is really close to me, but there are some Star ones out there that might be the closest.

Latest posts