• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for some help - Good woodland course examples

PBokor

Eagle Member
We are about to launch a new course in a couple of days. It is a very tight, technical course. Our deal with the City stipulated that only a very few mature trees (those greater than 24" in diameter) could be removed, so the course currently has only one playable (non optimal) route on many holes. The canopies are also very low right now so, even though only a few holes exceed 300', ace runs or even close birdies are more luck than skill. As spring approaches, the paths will get even tighter as leaves replace branches.

The good news is our arborist, though he doesn't throw, specializes in 'canopy solutions', so we have a great technical resource. If we provide him with the proper suggestions, he can turn design thoughts into practical improvements.

I have only played a few courses (Oak Grove and Sylmar in the 80's and White River and Lake Fenwick this year), so I don't have enough experience with what 'right' looks like to feel comfortable. I am looking for suggested videos I can view to see what a well-designed, moderately wooded course looks like. Our little course has a good balance of straight, dogleg right, and dogleg left shots and resembles a crude, immature version of dela.

What videos can I watch to gain more perspective for future course improvements?

TIA

There are "good" examples of wooded holes? Trim all the lower limbs you reach so at least you only have trunks to hit.

Latest posts