• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking to bring some MVP/AXIOM to my bag (partial conversion)

MikeTheBlueCow

Par Member
I'd like your opinions on comparable MVP+Axiom discs for my bag. I've held the plastic and I like Neutron (soft or firm) over Proton, but I have not held Plasma. From what I've heard it is a grippier Neutron (how grippy compared to Soft N?) and has more dome (so maybe good to get if I want the disc to be a little less stable?).

Boatman -> Wrath

Firebird -> Fireball or Motion?
Thunderbird -> Volt
Avenger SS -> Impulse or Virus? I think I'm looking for something that is more understable, or at least definitely not less understable.

Resistor or Clash? I don't really have a disc for this slot at the moment to compare to, except maybe the Whippet that I use for shorter shots usually.
Teebird -> I think I'm looking at the Crave but could be persuaded to go Servo.
Glide -> Inspire seems more understable than the Switch?

Gator/Whippet -> Tensor (looking for OS mid not necessarily a direct match)
Shark3 -> Alias. The Vector seems more stable than what I want for this slot (and I think I just read it has a bead which I don't usually like beads), and Axis seems less stable.
Atlas (beat in) + Wedge -> Theory. My Atlas will finish right and the Wedge is very understable, so between the two I have the full range of shots I'm looking for this slot. The Theory is more a replacement for my Wedge because I think the Alias will be able to cover what I use the Atlas for.

I don't really have driving putters but I need them.
Thinking of an Envy+Proxy. Envy seems like a great stable-overstable driving putter, and Proxy I'm hoping replaces my Dart for approach shots -- I've always felt like the Dart was the perfect stability but is too domey/uncomfortable. The Proxy also seems like it could be a good driving putter if I need less fade than the Envy. Curious about the Ion because I've heard so much about it, but not sure where it fits in for me because it seems inbetween the two. I also heard it's a bit deeper and I'm looking forward to shallower discs for these slots. How understable is the Anode? I saw they are coming out with a more understable putter this year so maybe I should wait for that?

This isn't my whole bag because I'm waiting for the 23mm driver releases this year to see what might replace those. I'd like your opinions on if the discs would be good replacements, and also if I should look at any of the other molds I haven't mentioned. Also if there is a reason to get any of the discs in a certain plastic to better fit the flight I'm looking for -- I mostly want Neutron/Soft Neutron/Plasma, not a fan of the clear plastics (from just about any company), unless there is a good reason for it that effects flight.

Boatman and wrath don't match from my experience.

Firebird -- fireball
Thunderbird -- volt
Teebird -- heavy crave but MVP doesn't have a real teebird replacement imo.
Shark3 -- vector is very close to a shark3, alias not so much

Envy and proxy are fantastic driving putters.

For driving putters I go Envy, Atom because the Envy is available in multiple plastics and I got one beat into a proxy already. When it comes to soft finesse approaches I feel the ion or anode(bead vs. no bead) is appropriate because in my opinion the Axiom putters are too fast for this type of touch. A MVPolecat would be killer for this. :popcorn:

Boatman and wrath don't match from my experience.

Firebird -- fireball
Thunderbird -- volt
Teebird -- heavy crave but MVP doesn't have a real teebird replacement imo.
Shark3 -- vector is very close to a shark3, alias not so much

Envy and proxy are fantastic driving putters.

Is the Wrath less stable? I think I'd be okay with that as long as it wasn't a lot less stable. I have a Sword which has some turn to it compared to the Boatman; is the Wrath more like that?

As far as the Crave, I'm guessing it's less stable than the Teebird?

The crave is less stable than a teebird in my experience but I'm not sure everyone agrees with that.

I've only owned one boatman, so it's a small sample size. The wrath is less stable than a boatman. I don't know how to talk about the sword. I've only thrown old ones and some were slightly under stable and others the complete opposite.

I would go with a Relay over the switch or inspire. I would stick with the Gator/whippet for now, because there is supposed to be a new OS mid on the way. Crave v Servo just depends on what you are looking for in that slot. If you want a slight turn and a good fade then get a servo. If you want straight with a mild fade then go Crave.

The crave is less stable than a teebird in my experience but I'm not sure everyone agrees with that.

It depends one what you mean and which teebird. You have to have a big arm to get any turn from a fresh N Crave but it wont have the fade of a champ tbird.

Last edited:
Crave isn't hss like a current champ teebird is. Crave is pretty neutral IMO.

Word on the street seems to indicate that plasma volt is your thunderbird replacement.

Motion is more firebird-y.

Tensor is nowhere near a gator. Alias is more neutral, but my sample size was only 2. Tensor would probably be a fine shark3 replacement (aren't the shark3 kind of over stable?) all 3 I've tried were straight to fade but okay in wind, surprisingly. Very hss, not a chance to flip whatsoever but not a ton of fade. Will pull out of anny. It's like a shorter teebird or maybe shorter banshee. More Hss than a vector, so if you think a vector is too os, then I dunno...

I think you're right on track with the theory.

Last edited:
I'd compare Craves more to TeeBirds than Servos. Every Servo I've thrown has some solid late turn and a stronger fade than Craves. I trust Craves more in the wind as well. There's not really a TeeBird in either of them in Neutron plastic.

I would go with a Relay over the switch or inspire. I would stick with the Gator/whippet for now, because there is supposed to be a new OS mid on the way. Crave v Servo just depends on what you are looking for in that slot. If you want a slight turn and a good fade then get a servo. If you want straight with a mild fade then go Crave.

Okay, yeah I'll wait on the OS mid. Thanks for the reminder.

It depends one what you mean and which teebird. You have to have a big arm to get any turn from a fresh N Crave but it wont have the fade of a champ tbird.

The Crave sounds like what I was thinking. I'm okay with it being less stable than a Teebird, and I have a Champ Teebird that has more fade than I like, so the Crave seems to be right in there. Thanks.

All comments about stability on shark3 vs tensors there were about tensors. I've never thrown a shark3 but I lurk a lot.

I'd say tb is right too. If you want something more like a tl or eagle l, then the crave is your guy.

Crave isn't hss like a current champ teebird is. Crave is pretty neutral IMO.

Word on the street seems to indicate that plasma volt is your thunderbird replacement.

Motion is more firebird-y.

Tensor is nowhere near a gator. Alias is more neutral, but my sample size was only 2. Tensor would probably be a fine shark3 replacement (aren't the shark3 kind of over stable?) all 3 I've tried were straight to fade but okay in wind, surprisingly. Very hss, not a chance to flip whatsoever but not a ton of fade. Will pull out of anny. It's like a shorter teebird or maybe shorter banshee. More Hss than a vector, so if you think a vector is too os, then I dunno...

I think you're right on track with the theory.

Thanks for the plastic recommendation on the Volt.

My SHark3 has been more overstable than I wanted but it is still pretty fresh, I was looking for something more like what my Atlas was when new, but would stay stable longer. Tensor seemed more OS in videos but sometimes it can be hard to tell. I mostly have the Mike C videos to go by which is definitely not comparable to my arm speed, which is what makes me think that a Tensor is too OS for that slot (for me) and that the Alias might be right in the area.

I'd compare Craves more to TeeBirds than Servos. Every Servo I've thrown has some solid late turn and a stronger fade than Craves. I trust Craves more in the wind as well. There's not really a TeeBird in either of them in Neutron plastic.

Would it make more sense to get a Crave in Proton (I'm guessing that's more stable like Champ is for Innova)? I'm okay with a soft fade as long as the turn isn't too pronounced.

Completely agree.

To me the Crave is equivalent/similar to the TL

And the Volt is equivalent/similar to a Teebird.

(Unless I've only had very under stable craves, I've never had one with Teebird stability.)

My SHark3 has been more overstable than I wanted but it is still pretty fresh, I was looking for something more like what my Atlas was when new, but would stay stable longer. Tensor seemed more OS in videos but sometimes it can be hard to tell. I mostly have the Mike C videos to go by which is definitely not comparable to my arm speed, which is what makes me think that a Tensor is too OS for that slot (for me) and that the Alias might be right in the area.

Looks like the Vector is between the Tensor and Alias. I was hoping to avoid a bead on the Vector so I think I'll try the Alias and see if it's what I'm looking for and if not I'll bump over to a Vector. I'm not necessarily looking for a direct replacement to my Shark3, which has more fade than I like, but it's possible the Alias is too neutral.

The thing about the tensor is that it has a **** ton of hss but not a huge fade unless it's thrown high. But I'd agree that if you don't like your shark3 the way it is now then you probably won't like the tensor. I was assuming you wanted as close to a 1-1 replacement as possible.

If you just want a straight shooter, a workhorse type, the alias can do that. You're right though, vector is somewhere in the middle.

The thing about the tensor is that it has a **** ton of hss but not a huge fade unless it's thrown high. But I'd agree that if you don't like your shark3 the way it is now then you probably won't like the tensor. I was assuming you wanted as close to a 1-1 replacement as possible.

If you just want a straight shooter, a workhorse type, the alias can do that. You're right though, vector is somewhere in the middle.

Awesome, thank you.

Looks like the Vector is between the Tensor and Alias. I was hoping to avoid a bead on the Vector so I think I'll try the Alias and see if it's what I'm looking for and if not I'll bump over to a Vector. I'm not necessarily looking for a direct replacement to my Shark3, which has more fade than I like, but it's possible the Alias is too neutral.

Depends what you're looking for. The alias is sorta like a short buzzz. Maybe even a tiny bit less stable.

Would it make more sense to get a Crave in Proton (I'm guessing that's more stable like Champ is for Innova)? I'm okay with a soft fade as long as the turn isn't too pronounced.

Nope. Proton/neutron fly the same. Max weight vs lighter might have more vs less fade but not all craves are 100% identical. Ive had some pretty stable or even OS craves just like you will find with some champ/star teebirds. Ive also come across craves with a little bit of turn and not much fade like it was seasoned off the shelf.

Just get a color and weight you like. Volt is faster and more LSS when new vs a teebird or crave.