• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Looking to replace my Terns

I recently dropped Terns from my bag for Hatchets.
Terns were too nose sensitive for me. Hatchets give me more consistency while only losing about 30 to 50 feet on max drives.

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned the Freedom. A 172+ Opto Freedom may have enough fade for you and will go a long, long way.

I have found the new -3 turn stamped Stars to be definitely more stable than the -4 stamped. Granted I have only thrown two, but that was my experience. I tend to like the feel of the Champ better anyway, so it works out that those have flights I like better as well.

BTW, my Trespasses are nowhere near replacing even my most stable Glo Tern. I think the two I have are just aberrations b/c they are actually more stable than the Star Destroyer I have. Maybe the Air would work, but don't bother with an Opto or Bio if you are trying to replace Terns out of the box (sure they will season into the slot, but will take a while)

My 164g Lucid Trespass, brand new, actually flies pretty similarly to my 8/10 worn 164g -4 turn stamped Star Tern. The flight path is very very similar, yet I don't get quite the same distance with the Trespass. I need more time with the Trespass though.

Then again, I had the throw of my life with the Tern last night. 420' throw... turned right... barely avoided the trees on the right... and gently faded left to end up dead straight in a fairly narrow fairway... 120' short of the 540' basket. With trees on the right, and an OB road on the left, I've never made it past 300'ish on this hole before. Last night, I let it rip as fast as I could... and nailed the release perfectly... with just enough of a tailwind breeze to keep the Tern out of the trees on the right. It was one of those shots that, when playing alone, you just have a huge silly grin on your face afterwards.

It's the only Tern I've had, so debating whether to add other Star Terns and hope to get one that flies the same as this one, or switch over to Trespasses or something else.

I threw Terns for awhile and had some of my farthest throws with them, but I prefer pro Destroyers in that spot now. It doesn't take long for a pro Destroyer to get beat in to fly like my champ Terns did. I also like mold minimalizing and I throw Destroyers as my only high speed driver at the moment.

I threw Terns for awhile and had some of my farthest throws with them, but I prefer pro Destroyers in that spot now. It doesn't take long for a pro Destroyer to get beat in to fly like my champ Terns did. I also like mold minimalizing and I throw Destroyers as my only high speed driver at the moment.

this is the one option I haven't done yet, I throw star destroyers and champ terns (all max weight now) but was always curious about just dropping terns and going pro-destoyers (or even try cycling echostar destroyers).

I play in mostly heavily wooded new england courses though (which can season even hard JL champion plastic quickly if you play enough and hit trees/rocks/roots/ect) and was afraid of hitting a pro destroyer on a full speed drive with an early tree (which happens often :eek: ) and needed to cycle pro destroyers out too quickly.

Wave replaced my Gstar tern, and a 157g fission Photon replaced my Glow champ tern.

interesting

I currently bag glow terns. They are some of my longest throws and not hyzer flip needed. The added stability is amazing.

Scorpius? havent thrown one but seems like its faster, has some turn and relatively small rim size ..

I throw the scopius along with the tern. The star (whatever it's called) Scorpius is not much like a tern. It has more of a destroyer rim but a little deeper I think. They are definitely more stable than most terns as well.

I throw the scopius along with the tern. The star (whatever it's called) Scorpius is not much like a tern. It has more of a destroyer rim but a little deeper I think. They are definitely more stable than most terns as well.

Pretty sure Scorpius is literally a Destroyer mold, only made by Millennium. Difference being that Scorpius seem to consistently be beefy overstable, compared to Destroyers that vary wildly.

There's a new Kasta Plast driver out that has similar flight numbers as the Champion Tern called "Grym". Might be worth a try..?

I love the Prodigy D3 for that shot. The D4 is a little more understable and akin to the Tern, but I tend to lose them to the right.

I recently dropped Terns from my bag for Hatchets.
Terns were too nose sensitive for me. Hatchets give me more consistency while only losing about 30 to 50 feet on max drives.

Whoa. That's a lot to lose in my book. Sticking with my Terns.

this is the one option I haven't done yet, I throw star destroyers and champ terns (all max weight now) but was always curious about just dropping terns and going pro-destoyers (or even try cycling echostar destroyers).

I play in mostly heavily wooded new england courses though (which can season even hard JL champion plastic quickly if you play enough and hit trees/rocks/roots/ect) and was afraid of hitting a pro destroyer on a full speed drive with an early tree (which happens often :eek: ) and needed to cycle pro destroyers out too quickly.

I play in heavy woods here in the SE and rock a pro destroyer or two at all times. How much life you get out of them really depends on how much you throw them and play (well, and hit trees too). My last go-to Pro was just BARELY getting into unpredictable / good roller territory after about 6 months of moderate use. So they can last a fair bit really. But you've gotta get the ones that are decently stable out of the box. You will get some flippy turds from time to time that are practically useless out of the box.

For me (at about 420 average power) one good thwock with a pro destroyer doesn't really change it much.

Pretty sure Scorpius is literally a Destroyer mold, only made by Millennium. Difference being that Scorpius seem to consistently be beefy overstable, compared to Destroyers that vary wildly.

It's close but the rim is deeper.

It's also not super beefy over stable like some destroyers. That's pretty much the reason I bag them.

My Sorcerer is similar to my Tern. It's less sensitive to nose angle too. I benched my Tern mid tourney two weeks ago for a Sorcerer, it saved my bacon

There's a new Kasta Plast driver out that has similar flight numbers as the Champion Tern called "Grym". Might be worth a try..?
The grym is a gem, I have three and bag 2 the higher plh has a beat in destroyer flight, the other grym I got on release day and I can turn and burn it if I try to, but on a normal golf throw, it has some decent s, like a sorcerer with WAY more fade. I'd say the - 2 turn is accurate but I'd rate the fade at a 2.5

If anyone has any beefy max weight terns they dont want, I'm interested in buying or trading for them. Found similar in stability but the first tern I ever bought was awesome. Sadly I lost it.

Latest posts