• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost one of our own today..

zugthug1705

Par Member
I've been playing in a league this year (off and on) for the first time, and was really enjoying how I got to meet so many different players from my area. I tried to engage in a conversation whenever given the chance just to get to know some of the guys I was throwing with. Sadly, we lost one of our own. He suffered a heart attack about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't looking good. But he was a tough guy... we all knew he would find a way to make it through it. But it just wasn't meant to be. Oddly enough, I never spoke to him until the day before he was hospitalized and he seemed really cool.

Anyways, tonight is our last league event of the season, and they're going to try to come up with some sort of fundraiser to help out with the mountain of medical bills his family is inheriting. I was hoping, in my mind anyways, this would be something the whole DG community would rally around. So my question is, if they start a fund of some sort, do you think people on the site would be willing to pitch in, help out, etc?

Any input is appreciated and if I get details of what they're going to do I'll try to pass it along.

Reach out to the Twin Cities disc golf community. Tragically they just went through a very similar situation in the last few weeks. They (I would have liked to say "we" but I could not find the time to get involved this time) really rallied together and put on a tremendous memorial tournament on Sunday. They really did justice for this player's legacy and I think it really helped the family.

That's awesome of them to do that. Sorry if I made it sound like a DGCR member when I said "one of our own"... I just feel like the disc golf community if one big, slightly dysfunctional family. We have our ups and our downs, but I treat (most) disc golfers with the same respect as my own blood. Like I said, I'll see tonight what they've been able to come up with. This guy wasn't very old at all. Maybe late 30's...we were playing with him one night and the next he wasn't even able to breathe on his own. It just seemed so sudden.

Latest posts