• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lumi's hotchpotch

Lumi

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 3 years.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: R
Throwing Style: mainly RHBH, some RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Neutron soft Envy: 280/300'; Matrix 280/300, Volt 320/350'; G* destroyer 360/400'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Old and overweight
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I like my putters, but find it hard to find a balanced distance driver setup
Specific areas of desired feedback: I throw pretty far for an older and newish player (above distances are not "internet" distances) but I'm not very accurate with my approaches. Still I'm happy with most of my putter selection but unhappy with the drivers since there is too much overlap and too many molds.

Bag:
All discs are max weight or very close to it unless otherwise stated

Putters:

1) Bt hard Swan- puts and sharpish turnovers
2) Plasma proxy (somewhat beat), short straight drives without fade and longer slow turnovers (rarely used, maybe could ditch it)
3) Plasma envy (somewhat beat) longer straight drives and annys
4) Soft neutron envy (pretty new) open drives upto 300ft with reliable fade (most used disc in the bag)
5) K2 berg (new) approaches 50ft-180ft Straight, glideless, never turns and still a very small fade
6) Zone, overstable utility disc

Mids (rarely used except when low ceiling since I get the same distance with the Envys)

1) GL fuse (new): some straight tunnel shots hyzerflipped and slow turnovers in the woods
2) Proton matrix (beat) Straight to fade shots
3) Neutron matrix (new) more overstable than the proton, primarily a forehand and headwind disc

Fairways:

1) 400 F5 (somehwat beat), turnovers
2) GL river (new)straight tunnel shots when I don't want fade (for some reason the F5 works well as a turnover disc but not as slighly hyzerflipped straight disc for me)
3) Plasma crave (new), staight to slight fade tunnel shots, not used much
4) Proton volt (new), straight to fade backhand and most forehand shots (my second most used disc after the envy)
5) Plasma volt (newish), less stable than proton, used for open drives for example when I have to throw a higher straight shot over some bushes etc, or for max distance uphill when I can't power up my distance drivers properly
6) Star firebird (beat), utility, flex shots, used to throw a lot of forehand shots with this, but proton volt has mostly taken over

Distance drivers (this is a mess, I change these all the time)

1) G*destroyer 170g (newish) straigh to fade
2) G* destroyer 175g new (less stable than above), straight to fade with considerable turn, more distance
3) G* shryke, large S curve, max distance (slightly more than the flippier G* destroyer)
4) Plasma inertia (new) gradual left to right turnovers without hardly any fade

Since all of the above seem to turn over and ride right in even mild headwind or unclean throw including the 170g G* destroyer, I have incorporated the followin

5) Star Shryke (new) max distance, but even though seems more stable than G*destroyers, behaves somewhat erratically and not very accurate compared to them
6) Fuzion Tresspass (new) More reliable and stable than the G* destroyers (even in mild headwind or downhill), taking over the role of primary distance driver, does not glide as well though
7) Star destroyer (new 4x Paul) or champion Boss (somewhat beat) strong headwind or downhill discs, max distance FH flex lines. I keep changing which one to carry since I orefer the Boss but would like to reduce molds so the destroyer would be better in that regard.

One problem seems to be that I love the G*destroyers but since I have gotten some more distance this fall, they have become a bit too flippy in many situations. But the Star destroyer on the other hand is way too stable to get a good flight when calm unless I put some anny and flex it. Need something in between and the Tresspass is taking up that role.

People advocate cycling but I work and have a small child so time is limited to break in discs. Additionally I keep losing the distance drivers in bushes or water before they break in.

Any advice would be appreciated, sorry for the long post.

Sorry two more midranges occassionally in the bag:

1) G* mako3 for staight tunnel shots. Works well on a good day but on a bad day I might turn it over by mistake or put too much hyzer to prevent it from flying straight. I have considered replacing it with a Buzz that I have for the role of straigh low ceiling tunnel shots
2) Plasma theory (new) is occassionally bagged and is very understable. Used for sharper turnovers than the fuse and does not fly as far either. Since I have gotten better with RHFH and the Swan flys pretty much as far, this disc has seen little use

Last edited:
Another update:

Strong wind today (up to 20m/s) So I went to the field on my lunchbreak. Into the headwind the more stable gstar destroyer immediately cutrolled. Tried a champion wraith (practically unused) and that turned also without coming back. Funnily even the max weight champion boss did a rather large curve but came back. But the Tresspass surprised me. In calm conditions it does have a nice S curve when thrown flat. But thrown into a strong headwind on a slight hyzer it flew just fine. Had some turn sure, but came back ok. It doesn't fly quite as far as the Gstar destroyers but maybe I should just make the transition? Seems pretty consistent in all conditions.

Whew, I have not been able to turn over my champ wraith even in the coastal winds I have here. Is your Wraith pretty beat? could also just be a different PLH.

I would hold on to that G* Mako3 and do some field work with it. At your power you should be able to throw at around 70-80% and have that thing fly 300' on a frozen rope. If it turns and burns, that is telling you that you have an issue with form. Keep using it for field work to fix the issue and it should help with consistency as well. Alot of your drivers are too fast for my arm, so I have no advice there.

Lastly, Welcome to DGCR.