• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Madison, WI

AcornRadio42

Bogey Member
Going to the Madison area soon. I will have time to play one or maybe 2 courses and will probably check out the glide store. I need recommendations of what course(s) to go to.

Token Creek(Vallarta-Ast) was AMAZING when I went down there. They just opened the 3rd 9 the week before I went. Hiestand, which is right across the street from Glide, is also a great course! I've also hear good things about Elder.

thanks, just looked the pictures of Vallarta-Ast and it looks nice but im a big fan of wooded holes and that looks mostly open but i may still check it out.

It's kind of open, but still pretty technical. Hiestand is definitely wooded. But whether you like open holes or not, Vallarta is definitely worth a round if you're in the area.

If you like wooded golf, definitely skip Token Creek and stick to Hiestand and Elver. IMO it's a beautifully maintained course, but the golf is nothing special and has a lot of pretty open holes, and on top of that it's a bit on the pricey side as pay to play courses go.

probably gonna check out elver. and then if i have time go to hiestand or vallarta-ast, or maybe birds ruins which looks great and would only be a small detour

Bird's Ruins is mostly wide open with a few fun wooded shots, the rest is just open fields.

Hiestand:
+ Elevation
+ Good mix of shot selection needed
+ Across the street from Glide Pro Shop
- Crowds in the afternoon

Elver:
+ Elevation
+ More challenging than Hiestand
- Crowds in the afternoon
- Blind hole can be tough if you're unfamiliar

Token:
+ Well groomed
+ Can be toughest course (blue pins)
+ No Crowds
+ Bombers
+ 27 Holes
- Can be easiest course (white pins)
- Pay to play daily pass is expensive ($8)
- Few Elevation Changes

If you only can get to one course, stop by Glide Pro Shop and play Hiestand.

If you can play two courses make it Hiestand and Token as they're only 10 minutes away from each other. Elver is on the west side which can be slow to get to depending on when in the day you try to get to it.

Elver is my home course, so you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Play all 3 courses - all offer something different and are great 4+ courses.

Play Elver very early in the morning (the most crowded course in town) - Elver is a lot of fun from the long tees and a birdie fest from the shorts - Hole 18 is really fun (never play 18 short)

Hiestand - the best in town, hands down - if you can shot under par from the longs (all par 3s) you shot yourself a great round - great views of the Capitol on clear days - many signature holes

Token - havent played the new 9, but the course is just beautiful - not very wooded, more of a 450ft paradise (with accuracy of course) and worth 5 for the day. EDIT: didnt realize they upped the price to 8. . .ouch (I always got a season pass)

Madison (with more 2 temp courses) would be a great place for a Pro Worlds. . .

Last edited:
Play all 3 courses - all offer something different and are great 4+ courses.

Play Elver very early in the morning (the most crowded course in town) - Elver is a lot of fun from the long tees and a birdie fest from the shorts - Hole 18 is really fun (never play 18 short)

Hiestand - the best in town, hands down - if you can shot under par from the longs (all par 3s) you shot yourself a great round - great views of the Capitol on clear days - many signature holes

Token - havent played the new 9, but the course is just beautiful - not very wooded, more of a 450ft paradise (with accuracy of course) and worth 5 for the day. EDIT: didnt realize they upped the price to 8. . .ouch (I always got a season pass)

Madison (with more 2 temp courses) would be a great place for a Pro Worlds. . .

Is that the one w/ the downhill bomber?? I played a course there a few years back, then I played it again. Do not remember the name, obviously.

yeah elver has the big downhill on the last hole. its the only course ive played in madison but i highly recommend it. fun course with a good mix of shots. going with someone local would be helpful though as there a couple blind shots and a spotter is nice to have.

If you like wooded golf, definitely skip Token Creek and stick to Hiestand and Elver.

I prefer wooded courses as well. I have been to all three Madison courses and I would go back to Hiestand and Elver before Token Creek.

I didn't mind paying for the round at Token. If all three were the same $8/round price, I would still rank Hiestand and Elver ahead of Token.

Have fun up there! :thmbup:

Don't know what you mean by "soon", but there is an Ace Race on Sat Sept 15th, another event on Sept 22nd, and the Ale Asylum Open on Sat Oct 27th, all at Hiestand. Bird's Ruins has a tourney on Sat Sept 8th. Our club picnic is Sun Oct 14th at Elver ... course isn't closed that day, but will be busy in the morning.

I have a slight preference for Elver, but Hiestand is really close, and since you want to go to Glide anyway, I'd make Hiestand the choice if you only play one.

If you do go to Elver, #9 is the blind hole that people are referring to. It is probably worth a hike down towards the hole to take a look, and a spotter is always nice. #18 is the bomber, and as mentioned, don't play the short tee (a lot of people don't even know where it is!). The long tee is the straight shot down the center of the hill.