• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

I honestly don't know what there isn't to like. Used this bag almost everyday since mid-November of last year in all kinds of weather conditions. It carries my 20 discs just fine (16 in the main compartment, 2 in the top and 2 in the front). Plenty of room for other essentials as well. It is holding up fine and the only upgrade I did was add a "plastic cardboard" frame. I understand it isn't a "pro" bag but I didn't pay nearly $200 for it either. If you take it for what it is, it is a pretty good deal. Just my two cents though.

I saw one of these in action a few weeks back and all I can say is keep your $30, these things are pieces of $hit. My buddy who had one wasn't to happy and I could see why, just low quality all around.

lol piece of ****? a little harsh.

Had this bag for a while now and it's still holding up good. For the price, it is definitely worth it. I figure you can get 3 or 4 of these for the price of one of the expensive backpacks, so I'll take my chances. Obviously if you have $150 to drop then those are more high quality and durable, but these will do for me.

Just make sure to use CPVC and not PVC. CPVC is the smaller stuff.

I used mine for a few weeks without the frame and it was ok, but since adding the frame makes it SO much better. I only carry 15 discs in the lower compartment and 2 putters in the top pocket. Without the frame the bag sagged and it was difficult to take out/ put in discs. With it everything stays upright and the putters slide in/out of the top pocket very easily. For $8.50 you cant go wrong with the frame. Takes a bit of figuring to get it together because you can't assembly it outside the bag and put it in or I couldn't. Im going to take it out this weekend and epoxy it all together.

I have a Blue Magellan, carried it a few rounds and decided it really needed a frame. I got some corrugated sign plastic, cut about two inches off the top, rounded the corners then slid it in. It's 100% better in my opinion, the plastic adds almost no weight, and holds the bag up and open. I'm looking for some kind of divider as well, because I don't carry 18-20 discs normally. I have been very impressed with this bag, and actually carried it in a tournament last weekend instead of my normal Innova Discarrier. Sure, it might wear out sooner than a higher dollar bag, but at the price I almost expect that.

Any chance you could show some pics of the plastic in the bag?

Or if anyone else has some more specifics on how to put some sort of extra support in.

As for people saying this is a piece of ****...not really. I've played 2-3 times a week since March and you can't tell of any wear or tear so far. It is super comfortable.

And I think there is plenty of storage...it carries two nalgene bottles, a big can of OFF, extra socks and shirt, a sweat towel, personal items, snacks, etc. What the **** else do you want it to carry?

I started out just using plastic coat hangers from work. Does an alright job. Holds the bag up fairly rigid, doesn't fold in, but, they tend to break after about a month of use, so, I still recommend a frame as a long term option.

Plastic Coat Hangers I use.
nu4T8JM.jpg

Bag with coat hangers inserted.
http://i.imgur.com/P96Hzg9.jpg

Cheers.

Page 13 of this thread gives details for a PVC frame, page 22 for a wire frame from coat hangers, and page 30 for corrugated plastic sides (this is what I used). Just be careful not to make it too tight or the material and zippers may suffer.

Page 13 of this thread gives details for a PVC frame, page 22 for a wire frame from coat hangers, and page 30 for corrugated plastic sides (this is what I used). Just be careful not to make it too tight or the material and zippers may suffer.

Perfect! Thanks

Could someone who made a CPVC frame please post of video of you putting it inside of the bag. I just made a frame and now I am struggling to get it inside of my bag. I'm worried I'm going to rip it if I stretch it more. Even if leave part of it unglued I still can't get the upper portion to fit. Help!

Or even if someone could just tell me step by step how to get the frame in I would appreciate it!

I assembled mine inside the bag. I glued the top and bottom together outside the bag with out gluing the front and back long vertical pieces. The main reason for this was to make sure the corners were square. Set the bottom in place and then position the top of the frame. I laid the bag on its back to make it easier to work with. Install the vertical pieces in one at a time starting with the back (longer) ones first. It was a bit tricky to get them installed and a got some glue inside the bag doing so. Just take your time and do one corner at a time. let it dry for a few hours and then you are ready to go.

Ok....well whats the best way to get a glued frame apart with out breaking the pvc? :D

If you used PVC glue you wont be able to get it apart. If you used another type of glue try heating it with a hair dryer and that might help loosen it up enough to get it free.

If you used PVC glue you wont be able to get it apart. If you used another type of glue try heating it with a hair dryer and that might help loosen it up enough to get it free.

I guess I'll be going back to ACE.

I've purchased 10' of 1/2" cpvc, all the connection pieces, primer, and cement. Looking forward to assembling the frame soon.

I read back a few pages (can't remember where) that someone said the bottom of the frame could be wider than what was detailed on page 13. Has anyone else confirmed this? I'm going to do my own measurements inside the bag before cutting my pipe to be sure.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

And would super glue work just as well since the frame is only for structural support and not actual plumbing?

Mine held together decently well without any glue, so I would think super glue would do a pretty good job.

I wouldn't go much bigger. My frame was pretty damn tight inside my bag.

Just finished putting it together! Really looking forward to taking this out on the course soon.

Some of the seams appear to be under stress, so I bought some Tenacious Tape to hopefully alleviate that pressure and keep it from ripping.

Thanks for all the great info!

Latest posts