• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mako3

Not sure what weight you are throwing, but I've found the max weights to have a nice bit of stability. Sure, you can turn them over just fine, but they aren't flippy out of the box like the lower weights.

I use my 180 Champ for dead straight shots to full on turnover drives. This disc is also my go to for stand still upshots just out of my putter comfort zone. It's very controllable and has a gentle fade for lower powered upshots.

See, now you are making me feel bad. I, too have a 180g Mako3. lol

Random question - do you play cello or some other bass clef instrument?

See, now you are making me feel bad. I, too have a 180g Mako3. lol

Random question - do you play cello or some other bass clef instrument?

Yeah, I play trombone and electric bass. Disc golf has been taking up all of my would be practice time as of late.

Yeah, I play trombone and electric bass. Disc golf has been taking up all of my would be practice time as of late.

Sweet. I figured since your avatar is a bass clef. I used to play piano and violin but that was for middle/high school and a little bit of college.

Having never thrown a star Mako3, I will say that I buy my flippy discs in the most durable plastic I can, as I want them to break in as slow as I can.

I have an FAF factory second mako 3 in star/gstar? (Flat color like star, floppy and grippy like gstar). I would highly recommend it. I dont see how it would lose stability any quicker than champ seeing as its flexible enough to absorb impacts rather than take damage.

Love this disc, holds an anny for soooo long without dumping all the way over.

I have a 180g Champ Mako3. It is not bagged though, because I also have a 180g Prodigy M4. This flies exactly the same as the Mako3, but its plastic is better and it can fly WAY farther than the Mako3. It's not that the Mako3 doesn't fly far, it's that the M4 flies as far as my fairway drivers. I have the M4-M2-M1 setup for my mids and it works out really well! I also like the Roc3 for straight shots as well...

I personally love my Mako3 champion plastic! I throw this disc the most out of any in my bag.

Nice necro bump.

I like the Mako3 in Star and Champ plastics. My first Star Mako3 was one of the first two discs I bought, and I still throw it from time to time. I got a newer one, and it's nice and FAF board flat and flies well. The Champ Mako3s (at least mine) aren't quite as board flat, but fly like Mako3s should... very straight, turn over a bit if some power is cranked onto them.

I was perusing the selection of discs at my local brick and mortar and I ran across a nice flat star mako3. For too long I have wondered how it compares with an eco star mako. Things have been going too smooth with my midranges lately, time to throw a wrench in the works and mess up my consistency!

Is there any difference between a Mako3 and an MD?

The Mako3 flies much better; farther, more consistent. Mako3=awesome. MD=meh.

Edited to add: I was hoping the MD would be a straight shooter between the Roc3/MD3 and Mako3... the MD was simply "blah". No need for it in my bag...

Last edited:
After a round at my local course I can defiantly tell it's a little tiny bit faster than a regular Mako. Color me impressed. Actually, the flight sort of reminds me of a fresh M4. I like how comfortable flat, non beaded mids feel in the hand. I wonder how long that will last? There's only one way to find out. I do declare this, I say this, Mako3 will be staying in my bag until a larger sample size of throws have been made.

I've gone on and on about my love of the Mako3 in other threads, but maybe it bears repeating in this thread.

I came across one in a used disc bin, and it was maybe one of the best training tools for a new player that I can imagine. 172g Champion, purchased in very good condition, and has not changed in the year and a half I've been throwing it.

I have since purchased another champ (used, very good condition) and found a Star (also in vg condition). They all throw very similarly.

For my arm speed, I almost can't get them to roll anny, regardless of how hard I throw them, but they hold the line they're thrown on. This made my Mako3 a particularly cruel teacher to show me when I wasn't throwing dead level. Because of this, I don't think the Mako3 is the best FIRST disc, but a great EARLY disc, once you decide you want to get serious.

I can throw the Mako3 about 250' dead straight. DEAD straight. I made a shot the other day that if it wavered more than 2 degrees through the entire flight I'd be shocked. Unless it reaches absolute stall speed, there is no fade. AT complete stall speed, I sometimes see a bit of fade at the end. This is the highest speed disc I've ever seen with no fade, and because of it, I prefer it for approach shots where maybe a lot of others would use an Aviar or similar 0-fade P&A disc.

It will hold an anhyzer well. It will hold those tricky super subtle anhyzers to the ground at 200'. It will hold a considerably stronger anhyzer, with some panning out at the end, given enough air.

It is NOT the best at hyzers. While it doesn't want to roll beyond flat, it WILL roll to flat if thrown hard enough.

It is absolutely NOT a flex disc. It just flies the line it's put on.

As a new player, I've run my champ into trees maybe 6 times per round, or something like 300-400 times in a year and a half, and the flight has remained consistent.

This is the disc I carry for almost all mid/approach ranged straight and anhyzer angles. That covers a pretty huge range of shots, and makes it, imo, one of the most useful discs in my bag.

It has a permanent place in my bag (you know, for the foreseeable future).

I lost my Mako3 last year. Since then my mids have all gone to DD (warrant/truth/verdict) which I love. That being said, I have yet to come across a straighter disc than that Mako3. Lynn above said it best in that it is the longest disc with zero fade. You seriously can throw it almost any distance and it not move left or right more than a few feet all the way to the ground.

It is almost a boring disc to throw it is so straight. With that said, my bag is begging for another Mako3 as there are many times when I need something to go dead straight all the way to the ground without a risk of turning over.

Not sure I agree it as an approach disc as I like the predictability of a strong finish (harp/suspect), but for general midrange and fairway shots that need to go dead straight there is no better disc.

Please note that I just meant approach shots replacing the (also 0-fade) Aviar.

I actually do MOST approach shots with a beat-up DX Roc. I have no idea why but it feels more reliable at low power than any other disc in the 100' to 30' range.

Hey FYI everyone who has a stake in putting a good disc in the hands of a beginner - my wife was saying that she likes the discs I had selected for her (shark, stratus, polecats) but might prefer something with a more comfortable hand feel. I took a chance on the Mako3 and it's a winner in GStar at about 168g. Could there be a more perfect disc for a one-disc beginner round??

Latest posts