• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mako3

I'm still in love with my max weight mako but my 170 is probably getting the boot. It's just a bit too sensitive for some reason.

Are you talking about Mako3's or Star/Glow champ Mako's??? 2 different molds that resist turn in 2 different ways.

Mako 3

The light one is just a bit too sensitive if I want to put some power behind it

Mako 3

The light one is just a bit too sensitive if I want to put some power behind it

I throw a 171 and it seems to resist both turn and fade pretty good , dead straight flight for 300-320 ft on a normal throw, even on a full power throw it remains pretty stable

That's how I would describe my 180

The 170 took a pretty unlucky ding off a basket. Big bite out of the disc. Maybe that's the problem.

I had a few of the first 180g CFR runs of the mako3 and used the **** out of them until I switched to all sharks and shark3s. Recently I picked up the makos again and I can hyzer flip them and hit 350 if I really get a good snap and the right angle becasue they have sooo much glide. I have a 176g that is very unforgiving, and I have become addicted to trying to throw it right. I can never hit the right anhyzer lines though only dead straight shots or just a bit left or right finish. I much prefer using a more stable disc (175 star shark or shark3) because I can control how it finishes out more, or at least I mess that up less often than the mk3. But I am definitely learning a lot from that 176. I would love a pro mako3, like the roc3 pro's from usdgc.

I have a mako3 max weight. It is definitely a hyzer flip to turnover disc.
NEVER BEEN STAMPED
Anyone interested?

I had a few of the first 180g CFR runs of the mako3 and used the **** out of them until I switched to all sharks and shark3s. Recently I picked up the makos again and I can hyzer flip them and hit 350 if I really get a good snap and the right angle becasue they have sooo much glide. I have a 176g that is very unforgiving, and I have become addicted to trying to throw it right. I can never hit the right anhyzer lines though only dead straight shots or just a bit left or right finish. I much prefer using a more stable disc (175 star shark or shark3) because I can control how it finishes out more, or at least I mess that up less often than the mk3. But I am definitely learning a lot from that 176. I would love a pro mako3, like the roc3 pro's from usdgc.

I could easily be talked into more shark 3 use for the same reason.

What's the star shark like? Only tried the dx.

I could easily be talked into more shark 3 use for the same reason.

What's the star shark like? Only tried the dx.

Super glidy, slightly overstable, little bit of turn. Kinda S curvy or good for a 'small hyzer' flip.

I have some really old star sharks, probably one of the first runs. They have an identical shape and dome as the old pre 3 champion shark and fly slightly less stable with more glide. Newer ones I have felt have the dx dome, which is super rounded. I hate those. I have to have the flatter top.

The shark 3's on the other hand have even more glide than the stars, but way more LSS. Like champion rancho roc fade if let go with a hyzer. In my opinion the shark 3 is more stable than almost any roc, but the extra glide makes it less accurate. SO the star sharks behave like a worn in version of that. And then I carry a couple 180g DX sharks and try to beat them to **** to use for all things near water.

I have a mako3 max weight. It is definitely a hyzer flip to turnover disc.
NEVER BEEN STAMPED
Anyone interested?

are you on facebook? i have a buddy that would be interested but i dont think he is on here.. he has been looking for non stamp or small stamped ones

...The shark 3's on the other hand have even more glide than the stars, but way more LSS. Like champion rancho roc fade if let go with a hyzer. In my opinion the shark 3 is more stable than almost any roc, but the extra glide makes it less accurate...

^^ I like this description, and agree completely.

I was excited to try the shark 3 and I like the old champ sharks, especially the gummy button tops. However, the Shark 3 did not last long in my bag for the reasons above.

I was ok with the fact that is was supposed to be more stable than the Roc3 (kind of a role reversal IMO), bc I LOVE my RC3's, but sometimes miss the OS fade of the Rancho Champ Rocs. I was hoping to pair the Shark 3 in there for that spot. It feels very Roc like in the hand, nice and flat, with a little larger diameter sort of like a cobra. But it is just not as acurate as the Roc for me, so I had to toss a CryZtal Wasp in there to cover the Slightly OS mid spot.

The Mako 3 is super sweet!! It has an excellent hand feel, nice HF to flat for tunnels and rides a beautiful anny line! <== As mentioned already

Its a good fit between my Meteor and RC3

Mid lineup: Drone - Wasp - RC3 - Mako3 - Meteor

ncgamedog, have you tried different weights of the shark 3? I throw mostly max weight stuff, especially my dx and pro stuff, but going down to a 175 or even a 172 I have found incredible control with the shark on high ceiling shots. Anyway, yeah, back to mako 3 love. I have mine back in the bag for sure.

ncgamedog, have you tried different weights of the shark 3? I throw mostly max weight stuff, especially my dx and pro stuff, but going down to a 175 or even a 172 I have found incredible control with the shark on high ceiling shots. Anyway, yeah, back to mako 3 love. I have mine back in the bag for sure.

Good to know! Thanks!

I might give it another shot at some point. I have not tried different weights. I typically throw max weight too (except Leopards & high speed drivers). When I try a new mold I normally start with max weight, and if I like it I explore different weights from there.

I have found that the RC3's are NOT very weight dependent. I keep 180g in the bag, but I own and have thrown down to 166 :eek: and I pretty much get the same flight out of them. Of course, the light ones show a tad more turn under full power drives, and the heavys a bit more stability, but not a real significant amount thats not easily controllable. I assumed the same would hold true of the Shark 3 b/c of the similarities between the molds. I have to say, I really like the new Jolly Launcher Champ plastic! I find it to be amazingly consistent, espescially for Innova haha.

That all being said... Most of the courses I play are %80-%90 heavily wooded (Charlotte, NC), especially where I would normally use my mids. So I dont have a lot of need/opportunity for high ceiling shots with mids. Usually they are my primany shot shaping, laser beam, line drive discs, that I need a direct accurate line from.

When on the bigger open holes, I throw up in elevation (depending on wind) more with High Speed Drivers or Fairways. I also go up in elevation with glidey putters like a BB Aviar to get long soft approaches or shorter shapey touch-shot drives.

Anyway thanks again for the tip...I'll def give the Shark 3 another try, bc the Discraft mids I like are really only the CryZtal plastic which is priceier and hard to find. Shark 3's are freakin EVERYWHERE!

Back to our regularly scheduled Mako 3 discussion...:popcorn:

Question: Is the Mako3 reliable on anhyzer or turnover lines?

I have bounced back and forth between Fuse and Comet for a while. Both discs do straight and drift right very well, but I have trouble with them on controlled anhyzer lines. They fly great on hyzer and flat shots (which yield a gentle drift right), but if I want to turn the Comet or Fuse controllably I run into trouble.

Tried a flattish 162 Star Mako briefly, but it had no chance of booting out the Comet.

I prefer midranges in the 165-170 range, if that makes a difference. Looking to pair this with the Truth, which performs beautifully on straight-to-fade lines and anhyzers that end in a fade or pan out.

I have a mako in star and a mako III in champ. The mako got booted for the III . I like the feel of the champ plastic better, the rim is beefier and more comfortable. It's a touch faster of course, but behaves very similar out of the box. For my average power/technique, and after a season of use, the mako III can be worked to the right on a slow turn. The best attribute is it's forgiving on less than perfect throws. Doesn't get a mile out of shape in either direction, but can be shaped either way at the same time. As it's broken in, I have to hyzer flip on a good pull. But it pops up into a laser flight and has surprising distance potential. I got it to pop up into a 250 laser last weekend, and I'm a little underpowered. It's an all around good disc. Shark III or roc III might pair up well for slightly more stable side. The rims feel similar in grip , and that's a plus in my book. I love the more stable flight of my wasp, but feels so different in the hand . I will be checking out a shark and roc III.

. . . The best attribute is it's forgiving on less than perfect throws. Doesn't get a mile out of shape in either direction, but can be shaped either way at the same time. . .

I like the sound of this. The thing is - I don't much care how I throw right-turning BH shots. I am comfortable throwing anny, throwing flat turnovers, or throwing hyzer-flip turnovers. I just want a disc that doesn't get squirrelly once it starts turning right.

Maybe I should wait for more reports on the Gauge.

I figure they are still new, but think these will be worth it to buy a few pink camo/party stamp protos of Mako3's?

I figure they are still new, but think these will be worth it to buy a few pink camo/party stamp protos of Mako3's?

The only protos that werent worth buying were discs people dont like, like the groove. I dont know if the mako will ever become super popular but id say buy em of theyre cheap

I like the sound of this. The thing is - I don't much care how I throw right-turning BH shots. I am comfortable throwing anny, throwing flat turnovers, or throwing hyzer-flip turnovers. I just want a disc that doesn't get squirrelly once it starts turning right.

Maybe I should wait for more reports on the Gauge.

I feel like my max weight mako would do what you want but I'm not sure on my lighter ones.

I feel like my max weight mako would do what you want but I'm not sure on my lighter ones.

Good to know, thanks.

Now that I think of it the perfect disc would be a longer Tangent. The Tangent is fantastic at holding whatever line you put it on, but for me it is a putter-midrange 'tweener.

Would a light Mako3 fly like a longer Tangent, or is it more touchy?