• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Many discs or few

Minimum requirement for a bag (IMO):
1 understable driver
1 stable driver that holds any line
1 overstable driver
1 midrange
1 roller
1 putter (though the midrange can be a good putter too, still I'd recommend a low glide putter)

That's a good list. I carry two different overstable drivers, one that is long range, and one that is a shorter more controlled drive. I also carry two midranges. I like having a stable and an overstable mid...the overstable one being for the shorter controlled upshots and the stable one for everything else.
I would just add those 2 categories to your list for a total of 8 molds.

I keep about 30-40 discs in my car trunk, when I get to the course I pick the usual 4 discs (170 star beast, 150 star sidewinder, 170 star teerex, and a dx putter. I can throw left,right,short,long with these 4 discs. Then I add a few from the other discs to play around with that arent my fave's. I usually try to keep my bag (which holds about 20) 1/2 empty for beer space.

My larger bag just makes my back and shoulder hurt. Then again I am not as young as I used to be.

Quad Shocks or a pull cart. Most of the older guys I have seen playing use carts instead of bags.

This guy made one out of an old baby stroller. Even has a place for cold drinks:
dsicgolfbabystoller.jpg

I went and counted what I have. I have drivers that are Overstable to Understable, a couple of fairway drivers, mids and putters. Here is the break down:

7 drivers

3 fairway drivers

2 midrange

3 putters

1 floating disc

1 trash driver, and one trash putter

I can't forehand and will do so only out of desperation so I need the full complement of discs in my bag...I prefer to have more than less and being an intermediatee player this works best for me as I often encounter holes where something unique is needed....
I prefer heavy and lightweight drivers as I often play uphills and enjoy a lighter disc in such occasions.
I prefer some real overstable stuff in case of headwind.
I try to keep it to one putter as I know I will putt about 27 times a round (1.5 per hole being honest) and want consistency there.
I like a wide selection of mids and a wider selection of drivers to get me through a round.
I often make disc errors because of all my choices but I consider that part of the learning curve.
Heres my typical Bag:
1 Pro Rhyno 167g
Mids

R Pro Dart-sits soft when I need a non roll away approach
2 Rocs-fills my glidey creative shotmaking needs..166 and 180..
1 Star Cro-generally will not glide away on me and stays straight
1 Star Coyote-love this disc and can't keep it out of bag
1 Gator if theres a water hole
1 crystal buzz trying to learn this disc

Drivers

1 leopard
1 roadrunner
1 sidewinder
1 beast or vision
1 TL
1 Tee Bird
1 Wraith or Orc
1 Destroyer
1 Max in case of wind or crazy hyzer shot
1 dragon in case of water

I could always pack more discs and have lighter molds in drivers often DX for uphills etc...I really enjoy the mental strategy of different discs and think only the most refined and expert players can play with less than 10 discs with any consistent success.....I also often will lose a disc and prefer to have something similiar in my bag....

I wouldcarry 20 discs with me before and I would TRY to use each of them at least once. Bad idea. So I stopped trying to use each one but still found I had a disc for each shot specifically to try to hit that perfect line for that hole. Problem with this is, if you are not trying to hit that line often, it doesnt matter if you have the perfect disc because it starts with you knowing your going to hit that line.

I eventually cut back to using just a Leopard to work on form, which was rough at first but I soon realised that while it may not be the perfect disc for the perfect line if I throw it perfectly (Yeah, thats what it requires with a disc for specific shots) I knew the line I could get with it and I was more likely to hit that line since I had hit it over and over again from using that disc so much.

While going through that, I have gotten a smaller bag and have been narrowing my discs down and I have gotten to:
Discraft ESP FLX Avenger SS 165g Big S
Discraft Elite X Banger-GT 174g Putter
Discraft Elite X Buzzz 164g Main Mid/approach
Discraft Elite Z Flick 169g OH/Side arm/hard hyzer
Discraft ESP Stalker 173g medium hyzer
Innova Champion Firebird 150g Tryout for spot
Innova Star Kite 167g Anny/flip/roller mid
Innova Champion Leopard 167g straight/anny driver
Innova Champion Teebird 165g Straight light fade, distance

I have actually been debating taking the Avennger SS our since the only time it would get a shot between the Teebird and Leopard is to S around an obstacle in the middle of the fairway but I think I could get 1 of the other 2 to work.

This simalar to what I talked about in another thread but I really beleive you are better off throwing a disc that you throw a lot and know that you hit that line often, rather than throw a disc you carry for a specific line when you only throw it for that and therefore are less likelly to hit the line in question. Risk vs reward wise, I am becoming very conservative.

This could also go to experience though as well. Say, I use these discs forever and find I need a specific shot often. If I keep up with knowing these discs AND get very familiar with another disc I bring it, then its still the same principal.

Best thing I would say is to just not add and buy new discs too fast.

We have a points series here in SC, so we have a wide range of courses in our state from very hilly and mountain terrain, to wide open, water courses. Therefore, I tend to carry about 23 in my bag. I throw both backhand and forehand, so I have drivers for both. I tend to throw mostly understable backhand to get max distance, but forehand I need much more overstable. I'm like others in this post, there are many in my bag that on some , or most courses, I'll never use some discs, then on others, I may use it 5-6 times a round. There are some of my "go-to" drivers that I use consistently in mountain courses, but can't at the coastal courses because it's too windy. There's no right or wrong amount of discs to carry....it all depends on what/where you play. If you only play 1 course, you may only need 3 discs, but playing 12-15 courses regularly, you need more variety.

I've got a little bit of everything on hand as well. For various reasons.

If I need to thread a tightly wooded hole at a distance, I'll use my Z Stalker. If I need to curve around to the left I'll use my Champ Viking...if I just need big D I'll use either my Viking or my Pro Starfire...okay sometimes I'll bust out the Champ Valk.

If I need to curve right I use either my Z Surge SS or my Champ Valk. If I need to do a roller I'll attempt it with my DX valk...but I don't make any promises.

Then I've got the midrange discs which are currently in great flux. I recently got all new lineup of BuzZz...I don't have an elite X (which I really want) but I've got an ESP and Z...I've got the FLX and slightly less FLX version they made the halloween BuzZz out of... and I over loved my old D buZzz...but I *happened* to be playing Naples the next day...and they *happened* to have 1 BuzZz in D (and like 5 other discs TOTAL for sale) so I bought it...even though it was ridiculously overpriced...But I know that given enough time I will over love this one too..

So I'm trying to figure out what 2 BuzZz I need or so. I'm also playing around with a Star Gator that I JUST GOT (from Toothyfish!) also thinking about dropping the Element(is that what it's called?) into the mix...well I will probably just go set up my practice basket at the local park with all of my mids and see what I can do and let them fight it out.

I've got 2 putters, that might change soon too, I never use my XD anymore. Not since I really learned how to use my magnet to its full potential. I should probably talk to MidnightBiker about Magnets...Still like the XD! Just don't really need it. I want an esp banget gt...this pro d banger gt stuff just isn't cutting it. I can see the point from a distance...but I like softer putters.

I just replaced my old DX Leopard that got all messed up long ago and was my trash disc for a while. It's a Champ Leopard I also got from toothyfish...not in my bag YET...I also just got a KC Pro Whippet and a Banshee I'm messing with.

Essentially I've got WAY TOO MANY DISCS...and I've been getting out and playing a lot of rounds, so I haven't messed with my bag configuration much, just been playing a lot.

I need to get out there and figure out where things go in my bag...but the weather has been so awesome I don't want to waste it in a field when I could be playing for real.

\/\/

At saturday's tourney I carried:

2 Z Stalkers (178,168g) the heavier one has a little more fade and obvious wind resistance.
1 ESP Stalker, no permanent use really
1 KC Pro Gazelle, now that my snap is better it is very straight, need to get something more LSS.
1 150 flick, get out of jail

1 Star Gator, dogleg mid
1 Premiere Sinus AP, laser straight mid

1 Gripline Spike, former go to putter
1 Zeroline Spike, go to putter, short straight drives
1 Pro Rhyno, wind putter, fade putter

I threw: (round 1, large open park)
Stalker x18 (2 holes long enough to drive 2x)
Gazelle x2
Spike every time I putted
Sinus a couple times

2nd round:
Stalker on all drives except:
Sinus hole 5
Sinus hole 6
Spike hole 8
Gator hole 12
Gator hole 15
Sinus on long upshots
Spike all putts
I did use the flick once when I chucked in the woods on 6.

Wow! this has turned into a sortof competition for who carries the most! Admittedly, I'm new to the whole disc choice thing but I love new plastic and tend to buy when the petty cash is there....but, when i play a course i know, i pick just what I'll need to have on that course with the selection I've got...
to that end I usually take with me:
1. Champ Orc 171
2. Star Roadrunner 171
3. ESP Force 174
4. ESP FLX Surge SS 172
5. DX Shark 176
6. DX Glow Roc 180
7. Star SM Roc 180
8. DX Cheetah 171

I have a Champ Rhyno coming to me soon. I threw a friend's Champ Rhyno and the thing was so gummy I just had to have one. So I may start carrying an actual putter again...plus I like how it just drops by the basket instead of powering past it if I mess up the putt (the Champ Rhyno is really great!). I've been using the Shark as a short approach/putter with the Rocs as pure approachers. The Cheetah is my get out of trouble roller. The Orc is my goto driver with the Surge SS a close 2nd. The Force is a great anny flex disc but I have a Firebird coming in so we'll see... The Roadrunner helps me with perfect straight shots with no fade or big annys as required.

I have lighter discs but for some reason I like 'em heavy especially my approach Rocs.

I'll be getting into Glow games soon as the sunlight just fades too quickly this time of year so I would only play with my Glo Stalker and Glo Buzzz during those times. I feel that it will be weird playing only two discs.

I have my 6-7 discs that I use all the time, but I always have to have a backup of those discs just in case I happen to lose one or get one stuck in a tree during a round. I feel completely naked without something I know would work good for a hole. Also, I always keep a couple specials just in case the wind gets crazy. So, I guess its all about how technical you are about your game.

I carry 18. Some discs do 1 shot really well, I figure I should use what works best. I could use fewer. Sometimes I don't need those particular shots. As long as they fit in the bag, why not have them.

Currently I'm carrying 12 or 13 discs. But they all have a specific use. Or most of them do. Depends if I want to go FH or BH or Left or Right or as straight as possible. And then how hard and which direction the wind is blowing.

1 of the discs is a Star Destroyer. I bought it to replace a well beat in Star Destroyer. Out of the box it did not do what my lost Destroyer did. So for the longest time it stayed at home. But a few weeks back I started throwing it again mostly to buck a strong headwind. Well now it's getting beat in and is becoming a more versatile disc. My point is that while most of my discs have a specific purpose I have a slot or 2 for experiments.

But after reading this maybe I should just carry fewer get to know them better. :\

But after reading this maybe I should just carry fewer get to know them better. :\

Don't worry about that feeling. Just because some guys carry only a Tee Bird, Roc and Aviar and shoot 10 down everywhere doesn't mean that's what you have to do or aspire to. There's a pretty high and mighty attitude of get better with fewer discs and shape lines learn how to do everything, yadda, yadda...

Not sure if I buy it. Especially as gospel for every new disc golfer out there. Some personalities are like that and only need minimal sports equipment to do well in that sport. And then there are the disc whores like the rest of us that simply like equipment. Those that get good figure out what they need whether it's 20 discs or 5 and they go from there.

I see the exact same thing in the bowling world with high average guys telling everyone who will listen to only use 1 or 2 bowling balls and learn how to adjust. Doesn't work for everyone. We are all built different physically and as a result throw differently hence the need for different types of discs.

I always laugh at some of the signatures on DGR when they only use 5 different molds etc. Great, get over yourself. Don't worry about using many types of discs, you'll know when it's time to whittle them down. Don't let the gods of the interweb forum prevent you from buy and using what you want.

*backswing

Drivers:
2x Surge
1x Surge SS
1x beat esp crush
1x relatively new z crush
1x heavy flick
1x 150 flick
1x champ teebird

so really only 4 driver molds.

mids:
1x esp flx buzzz
1x esp wasp
1x ching power legacy
1x esp storm

I use all of these

putters:
2x Wizards
1x Magic

overall only 10 molds

I've used as many as 15, but currently only use 5.

1st run Pro Tee-Bird 165
DX Panther 174ish (Disc was given to me.. weight faded off)
DX Shark 150 class
DX Aviar 150 class
Star Aviar 172

That's all I have right now due to a whole bag being stolen. I'm think about pickin' up some Discraft discs though... I had a Elite X Talon once & I aced with it.

Last edited:
If I don't have a specific use for a disc, it doesn't stay in my bag. I use about 14 discs.

I prefer less discs. I currently have six, but I feel like getting rid of my Spectra for another mid range. I can't really see actually buying anything beyond that, except to replace current discs if/when they are lost/beat up

ESP Force - longest distance drives, forehand shots, skipping
Z Spectra - long distance drives, shorter/straighter forehand shots, skipping
ESP Tracker - fairway drives, anhyzers
X Tracker - pretty beat up (my first disc), for dangerous shots and rolling
Z Buzzz - Mid range everything, putts when the Buzzz lands close to the pin
Evo Wizard - Putts, super straight midrange/short drives