• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill Open

Are fpo ratings based on the same scale as mpo ratings. I thought they were but I don't get how a 59 by Paige or Catrina is rated higher than an MPO 60 on the same day. Teeing off from whites on 1,8,17 and 18 plus blue 14 would lower my score by 3 or 4 strokes(8 is only slightly harder from gold but the other four are almost a guaranteed stroke each).

Are fpo ratings based on the same scale as mpo ratings. I thought they were but I don't get how a 59 by Paige or Catrina is rated higher than an MPO 60 on the same day. Teeing off from whites on 1,8,17 and 18 plus blue 14 would lower my score by 3 or 4 strokes(8 is only slightly harder from gold but the other four are almost a guaranteed stroke each).

FPO ratings are based on FPO scores only. Course doesn't even matter.

So, a 50 at a pitch and putt is the same as a 50 at Maple Hill?

Not at all. But two separate pools of players are going to yield different results no matter what course they play. The math involved doesn't take the course into account. So comparing the FPO ratings this weekend to the MPO ratings might as well be comparing scores on Maple Hill to scores at Fountain Hills. A 59 on one is irrelevant to a 59 or 60 on the other.

Not at all. But two separate pools of players are going to yield different results no matter what course they play. The math involved doesn't take the course into account. So comparing the FPO ratings this weekend to the MPO ratings might as well be comparing scores on Maple Hill to scores at Fountain Hills. A 59 on one is irrelevant to a 59 or 60 on the other.

Don't believe that's true. I think they are calculated different in this instance because there are some ladies tees. If they play the same course in the same conditions I believe they will all be pooled to create ratings

So, a 50 at a pitch and putt is the same as a 50 at Maple Hill?

Technically yes it would be, if all of the same players played both courses and shot the exact same score. However, there would likely be many scores around or lower than 50 on a pitch and putt, where as 50 will almost always be hot at maple hill with few even within a stroke or two. The course doesn't matter, it all depends on who shoots what and what they're rated

Thanks for clearing that up.

^ You too NOStheBOSS.

The ratings are propagated by the players competing on a specific course. Since the FPO group played a different course, their player ratings determined the ratings of their rounds on the modified layout. The player ratings for the MPO group propagated the round ratings for the MPO field only.

The ratings are propagated by the players competing on a specific course. Since the FPO group played a different course, their player ratings determined the ratings of their rounds on the modified layout. The player ratings for the MPO group propagated the round ratings for the MPO field only.
The women also played at a different time of day. Tee time starts can have divisions playing in different weather conditions on average.

Don't believe that's true. I think they are calculated different in this instance because there are some ladies tees. If they play the same course in the same conditions I believe they will all be pooled to create ratings

Yes. But since they played shorter tees, they played a different course and are rated separately. My point is since they were rated separately, there's no value in comparing how a 59 rated for them versus the rating of a 59 or 60 by the men. The only factor the course plays is in determining that the two groups of players are rated separately. The course doesn't play a factor in the actual math.

The women also played at a different time of day. Tee time starts can have divisions playing in different weather conditions on average.

For the unofficial ratings, wouldn't all divisions who play the same course be on the same ratings scale?

For the unofficial ratings, wouldn't all divisions who play the same course be on the same ratings scale?
Yes. But my point was that a division playing at a different time of day might get higher unofficial ratings for the same score even though playing an "easier" course.

There are enough tournaments throughout the year where the men and women play the same layout though that a 980 rated player should be a little better than a 970 rated player, regardless of gender, no? Isn't that the point of using player ratings instead of rankings?

I know it does not matter as it more the "archer than the arrow", but what did feldberg use for ace?

I really liked that flight the way it (disc?) when from a gently anny to a nice hook up at the end.

I recall a recent thread in which some were stating that "switching disc brands" would cause a long adjustment period for top pros. Well as one who watched in person 2 of Wysocki's rounds this past weekend, he is certainly at peak form with his new bag of plastic.

Also, saw Cam Colglazier, who has also switched from Prodigy to Lat 64 and despite the fact that Maple Hill was his 1st tournament of the year against any big talent, after shaking off a 3 over par on his first 9 holes on Thursday played above a 1030 level for the other 3-1/2 rounds and produced a top 10 finish.

I know it does not matter as it more the "archer than the arrow", but what did feldberg use for ace?

I really liked that flight the way it (disc?) when from a gently anny to a nice hook up at the end.

That is such a hard shot. It's got to hold the any forever without turning over too far, then flex out hard at the last second. Plus he did it into an insane headwind to boot. That is an amazing shot