• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McAllister Park in Lacey, WA

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
I understand the local club is trying to get an 18 hole course put in in McAllister. Last I heard the first goal was to at least get the city to allow it, then raise money for the hardware. I am also aware there was a tourney there with temp baskets.

Anyone know more info or where I can go to find out?

Don't know if you do FB, but here's a link to the FB page where I've seen info on McAllister in the past. I think you have the gist of what the situation is right now down there. They have set it up temporarily for a couple of tourneys and Team golf. Maybe post your question on that page to get more current info. :thmbup:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NWDiscGolfers/?ref=bookmarks

Facebook: SPS DiscGolfers

The other facebook page NW DiscGolfers is the regional page (multi-state). It should work too. "SPS DiscGolfers" is one of the local club's fb pages.

The next PDGA tourney at McAllister Park is Jun 22 & 23, 2019; South Sound Classic. You can register for it at: 4discgolf.com

Currently the City of Lacey parks dept. is holding public meetings on if a permanent 18 fairway course should be installed there. The local HOA is dead against. A lot of the things they say are invalid. But they may eventually find something valid or the parks dept may cave under all the negativity. The club officers feel that everything is under control. So... am keeping my fingers cross and speaking at the public hearings.

I heard the City offered McAllister for golf. WTF? When will we know if we get this for sure. Whose fighting it and why

I had a look at a flyer from a coworker who lives around there. Kind of one of these situations where a bunch of privileged people who live nearby want to keep it undeveloped for themselves so they can keep jogging and taking their dogs and Chuck-its out in peace. If I lived there and was not a disc golfer, would I want the city to allow a course to be put in? Heck no, so I do understand where they're coming from.

On the other hand, hopefully the city makes the right decision and at the very least allows the club to do its thing in putting in the hardware.

When is the next councilmeeting?

Does the club seem to think this will go thru? It would be awesome to have an 18-hole course in Olympia! When will we know? Id like to play the tourny there in June

When is the next councilmeeting?

I just saw on their facebook page, Wed.,June 5th @ Lacey City Hall.

Does the club seem to think this will go thru? It would be awesome to have an 18-hole course in Olympia! When will we know? Id like to play the tourny there in June

There's already an 18 hole course in Olympia, at Evergreen College, and it's a good one, too. It's listed here as 9 holes but there is a full 18 there now. Alot of progress being made there to get it up to a 4-4.5 disc level.

As far as McAllister, I guess it remains to be seen what they will finally decide. Parks Depts. are aware of the usual NIMBYism that always appears, so that may not play much into the decision. The club down there is doing what they can to get it approved.

How can we help? Does the club know anyone with any connections who can help push this through?

Ill have to check out Evergreen. I get that we want as many courses as possible but is it worth fighting if theres already an 18 course?

How can we help? Does the club know anyone with any connections who can help push this through?

Ill have to check out Evergreen. I get that we want as many courses as possible but is it worth fighting if theres already an 18 course?

You could help by attending the meeting on June 5th. The bigger the DG presence the better it will be. The club does have connections and believe me, they are doing what they can to get it officially approved. Yes, it is worth it as Olympia has a big enough population base to support more than one 18 hole course, and McAllister is over on the east side (actually, Lacey), opposite the west side Evergreen course.

but I live in Fife. I don't think I can attend since its not in my area. I used to know someone on the Lacey Parks Commission but I'm not sure if he's still on.

You can attend, it doesn't matter if you live in the area, just that you support disc golf. They (the South Sound club) put the word out asking for all that can come to please try to make it. We had guys from Bremerton that went down for the last meeting 2 weeks ago, and we've got more from Kitsap going to this next one.

This is from the South Sound facebook group page, posted a few days ago.

Save the date for Wednesday June 5th @ Lacey city hall. This will be one more, probably the last, opportunity to speak to the Lacey park board to support McAllister Park Disc Golf. The SPSDGA will be on the agenda to present the proposal for the new 18 hole course and provide accurate information. Show your passion for the sport we love!

This is from the South Sound facebook group page, posted a few days ago.

Anyone that was planning to attend this meeting, I've heard it's been cancelled for the time being and will be rescheduled, so don't show up on the 5th.

I'm hearing McAllister has been approved only for a few select tournaments a year. It looks like a permanent course won't be happening at this time. :thmbdown:

Mother**k? I thought they told someone golfers could have it!! F**k! Is there anything we can do? I just moved to Lacey and was looking forward to playing.

Will they let us have it next year? Can we at least practice there?

Mother**k? I thought they told someone golfers could have it!! F**k! Is there anything we can do? I just moved to Lacey and was looking forward to playing.

Will they let us have it next year? Can we at least practice there?

It's a public park, I don't see how they could have a legit reason to stop you from practicing out there. I don't know about next year, but it sounds like the affluent dog walkers in the neighborhood next door won out, not surprising.

Here's a link to the FB group down in the south sound, they're the ones more in the know of what's going on down there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/549078911771720/?ref=bookmarks

My friend did something like that with a softball field. His group was offered a bad spot in a park so they went to the spot they wanted and started tossing the ball around. They were banned from the entire park. F**cked up his plans! Not sure this is a good idea. Pizzes me off that the parks turned it down.

I didn't see nothing on that Facebook link. Jeez

My friend did something like that with a softball field. His group was offered a bad spot in a park so they went to the spot they wanted and started tossing the ball around. They were banned from the entire park. F**cked up his plans! Not sure this is a good idea. Pizzes me off that the parks turned it down.

I didn't see nothing on that Facebook link. Jeez

Yeah, I had to scroll down quite a ways to find the small post I saw a few days ago about the results of the meeting. That group is the place where I'm seeing all the info concerning McAllister, sparse as it may be.

I posted that I wanted to be a part of the group that goes out to McAllister to practice but no one is responding. Are they still planning to do this?

Played Evergreen last week. Amazing course!!