• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] McBeth Discraft Signature Line

You don't hear a ton about the Nuke, but I've bagged one for years. Z, 172g. The plastic is outstanding and hasn't degraded or gotten flippier at all. Perfect driver for 430'+ drives. It has some high speed turn, but is by no means flippy.

The first ESP Nuke I ever tried was pretty much a revelation and sold me on the mold. Very domey, a bit flippy, and extremely glidey and long.

The Force is a good driver for Paul, but I'd bet money he can throw Nukes 50' further consistently.

I have a perfect big arm Z Nuke (heavy, high PLH but not too high). It's so overstable for me that I only throw it forehand in solid headwinds. I live in West Virginia, and I'd be willing to meet up with Paul and let him throw it. I have a hunch it's a usable 500' kinda disc, I just don't have the arm. I've found a couple others (Cryztal and Z) that are similar, but the first holds the bag spot.

Paul never seemed to be too excited about throwing utility overstable trick shots, I could definitely see a beefy predator being more than enough for what he is looking for - seemed like the FD3 was in the goldilocks zone for him, until recently when that Michelin man FB was getting camera time.

Speaking of Zones, I am thinking he will finally be comfortable with an OS approach disc. Innova came very close with the AviarX3, and we will have to see about the bullfrog.

Putting with Roaches I'm thinking, throwing some kind of Nate Doss or CT challenger. Buzzzes for sure, but I would really think Wasps would make most sense. Buzzz SS to replace the Mako3, or maybe a comet or two as a nod to Mr. J.

Based on the roller he threw in the video, I suspect he will. I think I might be picking up a new Heat because of that roller. I think my PFN SW isn't as predictable, but I haven't thrown a Heat since I gained a bunch of distance, so we'll see.

Heat makes perfect sense - basically a RR wing with extra glide... and better plastic aside from Star. Still not sure about this new ESP stuff as compared to star.

IMO the Heat is the best understable disc Discraft makes. Very steady, and it will actually fly flat decently unless you really torque it. The Heat is also deceptively long in the air.

I may have posted this elsewhere on these boards, but I saw someone on my home course throw a Heat on an open 300 ft. hole and put in inside the circle. No, the guy was not McBeth, but he was young, pretty good, and threw far. Point being: McBeth can use the Heat as a roller, but can throw it as a turnover disc on courses that might call for that shot. The Heat is a good disc, and is now gonna get some publicity...

The Force is a good driver for Paul, but I'd bet money he can throw Nukes 50' further consistently.

I wouldn't bet against you, but on most courses, even pro layouts, and given the power of pros like McBeast, he'll be throwing the Force for accuracy as much if not more than pure distance. He may bag a Nuke in some situations, but for the most part, that Force is going to do him right...

I may have posted this elsewhere on these boards, but I saw someone on my home course throw a Heat on an open 300 ft. hole and put in inside the circle. No, the guy was not McBeth, but he was young, pretty good, and threw far. Point being: McBeth can use the Heat as a roller, but can throw it as a turnover disc on courses that might call for that shot. The Heat is a good disc, and is now gonna get some publicity...

I wouldn't bet against you, but on most courses, even pro layouts, and given the power of pros like McBeast, he'll be throwing the Force for accuracy as much if not more than pure distance. He may bag a Nuke in some situations, but for the most part, that Force is going to do him right...

You might be right. I don't have a ton of Force experience. The few times I tried it it seemed too beefy for routine distance driving for me. The Force isn't as sleek or fast as a Destroyer. It seems like it has a deep rim and a slower, deliberate flight. I do agree with you that McBeth doesn't necessarily NEED the distance a Nuke can provide. He'd rather throw the Force accurately, even if its a few feet shorter.

The Destroyer was absolutely the backbone to Paul's strategy - unrivaled accuracy at elite distances allowing him to play aggressive. He can go ahead and fill in the rest of his bag with just that - filler. Roaches and filler. But I would bet that right now 90% of his field work is spent dialing in those Destroyer shots with different kinds of Forces.

You might be right. I don't have a ton of Force experience. The few times I tried it it seemed too beefy for routine distance driving for me. The Force isn't as sleek or fast as a Destroyer. It seems like it has a deep rim and a slower, deliberate flight.

Agree with this. I still think he may end up liking Punishers more if he finds the right ones.

The Destroyer was absolutely the backbone to Paul's strategy - unrivaled accuracy at elite distances allowing him to play aggressive. He can go ahead and fill in the rest of his bag with just that - filler. Roaches and filler. But I would bet that right now 90% of his field work is spent dialing in those Destroyer shots with different kinds of Forces.

I agree with the bolded, but only because the early season tournaments (Memorial, LVC, etc.) are on such wide open courses.

Don't agree that the mids and fairways can be "filler" in Paul's bag. The Teebird3 and Roc3 saw some heavy usage on more technical courses; he needs those shots roc(k) solid in order to be in contention throughout the year.

However, in the short term, it's definitely true that figuring out the distance drivers is top priority. And he seemed to have a good start in that first ITB video.

Forces, Nukes, Punishers, whatever. I agree. He'll be learning those drivers, and fast.

Agreed with you guys, and avoiding quoting myself above but to be clear I meant that destroyer shots were the backbone of his strategy, not that it was specifically the destroyer that was to thank for his distance and accuracy. Destroyer happens to be the defacto pro choice for these shots but nothing makes me think he can't figure out a different mold to work as well or better.

Latest posts