• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mcgregor park in Houston scary!

Ok wow this place is not for out of towners! That place is ghetto as it gets! Bums hanging out on the benches napping, thought I was gonna get mugged lol! I just came down from Dallas because I had a few days off, and thought I would try that course out first, well I'm heading to Tom Bass and hoping its a little nicer! Any Houston guys wanna get a round in let me know I'll be heree until tomorrow afternoon.

Try these

Texas Army Trail DGC
Jack Brooks has 2 or 3 courses:clap:
McDade Park- on your way out of town(I have not played here in a few years but loved it when I did)

Texas Army Trail DGC
Jack Brooks has 2 or 3 courses:clap:
McDade Park- on your way out of town(I have not played here in a few years but loved it when I did)

Do not go to Army Trail unless you want to play some stupid golf in the woods with no fairways

If you want real golf with good distance and accuracy:

Tom Bass
TC Jester
McDade

Last edited:
Tom Bass Blows too. MsGregor used to be a decent course but the drought took 70% of its trees and its never been the same. Besides being with 1/4 mile of the UNiversity of HOuston, it is in a pretty rough part of town.

If you want the best golf in houston IMO, you need to go to the NW part of town.

Army trail - gold level course, heavily wooded. Pro level - feldberg shot A 49 here
Windwood - a great 21 holes course with variety and an island hole
Spring Valley - my personal favorite, high fun factor. I recommend only the finesse 18
Stonebridge - a young but awesome course. Som really fun holes here.
Bear Branch - a busy and short 18 holer. You should shot under par.

AND a MUST PLAY on your way home is Shawshank in Huntsville. Skip Mcdade and go to Shawshank. Thank me later. Shawshank is the best course you will play on your visit, hands down. Call steve the owner, first. He and his family are really nice, they just want a heads up.

Last edited:
Do not go to Army Trail unless you want to play some stupid golf in the woods with no fairways

If you want real golf with good distance and accuracy:

Tom Bass
TC Jester
McDade

When was the last time you played army trail? Most decent golfers can find the fairways. Maybe a case of the archer not the arrow?!?

When was the last time you played army trail? Most decent golfers can find the fairways. Maybe a case of the archer not the arrow?!?

I can hit lines, but i cannot always be lucky which is what army trail is all about. This is a poor design. Golf should not involve this much luck, the lines are not legit and there's too many trees.

This BS being thrown around about Feldberg, Ive seen the video, he says its a tough course, he never said it was any good.

Windwood is a good one to add in there, and so is Oak Meadow although its private. Shawshank has some goofy holes so youre better off with McDade

I like the above list :thmbup: There is a mini at Spring Valley tonight where they will be mixing a combo of the Power 9 and the Finesse 18. It is handicapped though based on your pdga rating. Army Trail is a great wooded course, Windwood has some finesse holes and some open holes, and a few "creative" holes (island hole, double OB hole 19), Stonebridge is fun but the teeboxes are crap, Bear Branch is a putter/mid course for the most part but it is a fun way to end a day of disc. McDade is a fun course but Shawshank is pretty damn awesome.

I can hit lines, but i cannot always be lucky which is what army trail is all about. This is a poor design. Golf should not involve this much luck, the lines are not legit and there's too many trees.

This BS being thrown around about Feldberg, Ive seen the video, he says its a tough course, he never said it was any good.

Windwood is a good one to add in there, and so is Oak Meadow although its private. Shawshank has some goofy holes so youre better off with McDade

is this Jim? If so I retract my statement about the archer.

Last edited:
Well I shot 48 at mcgregor from the gold and 53 at Tom Bass Wilmont, so I'm looking for some courses that are not out in the open! I'm looking for the hardest courses in Houston! I'm going back to play the other side of Tom Bass after I get some sonic, but maybe later I'll venture further north. I know tomorrow I have all day I just have to be back to the south side of Houston around 3. If any locals wanna play today or tomorrow hit me up on a pm I would love to get to know some Houston guys!

Army Trail will probably take the title for toughest. Regardless if you think it is bad design due to trees in fairways, its no walk in the park either way.

Feldberg did enjoy the course though. When we were editing that clip we just wanted to get something up on the website. We also wanted to get Josh's ace video up quick. Steve took like 3 minutes to edit both clips. Fred has a lot more footage, he filmed the entire round and then some. I was not there but according to Fred , he had some constructive criticism (hole 17) but overall liked it. Word on the street is they have been removing some of the elements that created the "luck" factor as well...

Last edited:
is this Jim?

Ok so your boss is involved with Texas Army trail, therefore you lose all credibility and objectivity. What else are you going to say about it besides positives? Drunk on the kool aide as many of you are, the cult of army trail.

How about someone who can see this course for what it really is. Im tired of the blind followers who prop up this piece of junk. Anyone can take a tee and a basket, put it in the woods and call it a hole. Great site that was ruined.

Theres a fine line when you are dealing with 'tough' and 'challenging' holes, especially an entire course of mainly tight wooded shots. Houck tells us, you should never pitch off the tee into fairways. True golf is drives, approaches, putts.

Why is it that your league had 5 people and was canceled?

Why is it that you are basically begging people to sign up for the upcoming c tier?

Its because the higher level players are not really fond of this site, despite all the artificial propping up that the army trail cronies do.

AND a MUST PLAY on your way home is Shawshank in Huntsville. Skip Mcdade and go to Shawshank. Thank me later. Shawshank is the best course you will play on your visit, hands down. Call steve the owner, first. He and his family are really nice, they just want a heads up.

My friends played Shawshank a couple of weeks ago. They say it is a must play. But I love McDade. :)

All the way down south, the two courses at Jack Brooks Park (Galveston County) make a nice 36-hole. Texas States at Brooks provides the most variety IMO.

Well I shot 48 at mcgregor from the gold and 53 at Tom Bass Wilmont, so I'm looking for some courses that are not out in the open! I'm looking for the hardest courses in Houston! I'm going back to play the other side of Tom Bass after I get some sonic, but maybe later I'll venture further north. I know tomorrow I have all day I just have to be back to the south side of Houston around 3. If any locals wanna play today or tomorrow hit me up on a pm I would love to get to know some Houston guys!

Jack Brooks would be a good choice down south, it has a decent balance of woods and open.

Ok well since I'll be down south, sounds like jack brooks it is! Thanks for all the input and sorry I didn't mean to start a thread that would have this much pop to it lol! Tom Bass was ok, just not enough trees for my liking! Plus the grass was really tall so there was no risk going for any hole except I think number 8 where it sits at the top of that hill and the water sits behind it! Not alot of basket protection on this course!

there is a mini thursday afternoon at tlv(which is on the south side) you should check out if you decide to stay an extra day.

Latest posts