• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mental Competition

As a reformed basket case who is well on his way to being a basket luggage collection, I have to ask:

Is 'self-importance' inherent in verbosity?

Because it seems to me that the two can be exclusive. It also seems like some people need more-regular hugs and/or time with a roomful of puppies.

It's called gamesmanship.

Nothing tests the mental game like gamesmanship. I find it vastly more enjoyable to play with those who love to banter, love to challenge you on tough shots, love to talk sh**in hopes it will bring down your game to their level and so on. It doesn't have to be overt either. It can be as simple as asking a guy who birdied 3 in a row, what is his record for consecutive birdies? A guy who had a hot start, whats your personal best? The people who can't handle these type of things are the people I don't really enjoy playing with.

Indeed. I'll never ever forget one instance, I think in the 1999 DGLO. He and Ron Russell were tied going into the last hole on the Final 9 they put on for spectators. It's a flex shot hole, left to right first over a bridge on a creek that runs parallel to the hole, then right to left for the second half. Woods long left in front of the tee if you miss the first turn of the flex shot, woods along the entire creek instead of the bridge, and woods long of the basket. (It's the final hole of Hudson Mills Monster. I haven't been there in a good 10 years so I don't know if it's still the same).

Russell was first and the drive slipped out of his hand, landing in the woods straight ahead instead of making the anny over the bridge.

Everybody there could see the look on Climo's face. He knew this was his opportunity. He knew he was going to pipe the throw and we knew he was going to pipe the throw. And he did perfectly. He was like a shark detecting blood in the water.

I've got it on tape somewhere. One of these days I'm going to get this stuff up and on YouTube.

I was also there watching this and you could not be more correct. THERE WAS NO DOUBT.

I'm still of the mindset from long ago that this is a happy hippie sport with specialized, holy Frisbees. Negativity of any sort is beneath us. We're different than the other projectile sports, and that's why we continue to grow at the astronomical rate we have been consistently growing. So long as no obvious jerks are nearby, I'm rooting for everybody to do as well as they can, even in tournaments, and any gathering on the course is a holy experience of like-minded positivity and fun.

This doesn't mean performance takes a back seat. I believe our scores are as sacred as the Discs themselves, as is the whole experience.

Even our PDGA numbers are sacred and special. I always look for addresses that have my PDGA number or my friends' PDGA numbers when I'm gazing out the passenger window of a vehicle. I got excited one day when the serial number of a vinyl record matched my buddy's number. It was a Pearl Bailey album.

Ultimately, I believe all of this rubs off on everybody on the tee, up the fairway, and around the basket, and scores tend to be lower as a result. Plus the sport grows (as it consistently and positively has for decade after decade) and we get more courses and more Discs.

My role in a tournament is to do as well as I can numerically AND for camaraderie, and where I end up on the leader board is where I end up.

Friendly banter (like saying "nice up!" on a putt that's too short to razz a friend you know well) while playing casually falls into the "camaraderie" aspect and is perfectly fine.

So that's my take. Mind games of negativity can take place in the other sports that are based in the culture of the brutish industrial revolution. We're different and far superior.

And yes, I always capitalize "Disc" and "Disc Golf" because of its prominent place in my life. I'm not a religious person until I pull into the parking lot of a Disc Golf course, or even if I'm discussing Disc Golf out in the regular world. I suppose this makes me a Frisbeetarian.

You sir are my brother, from a different mother. *wipes tear from eyes*

It's a flex shot hole, left to right first over a bridge on a creek that runs parallel to the hole, then right to left for the second half. Woods long left in front of the tee if you miss the first turn of the flex shot, woods along the entire creek instead of the bridge, and woods long of the basket. (It's the final hole of Hudson Mills Monster. I haven't been there in a good 10 years so I don't know if it's still the same).
I didn't start laying until 2004, but...

Except for the park having cleared out almost all the rough around the pond that just left of the basket (park's response to invasive Russian Olive a few years back), I'm pretty sure that hole hasn't changed at all since that event in 1999.

The line on that hole requires a combo of power and finnesse that really makes it fun to watch when someone hits it just right to end up with a good birdie look. Gotta get that anny up high enough to clear the trees, and flex back just right. Flex too early or too much, and you could find the pond. Not enough and you have a long putt.

Last edited:
I remember Mike Moser also pinning that hole, flexing a Banshee perfectly. Stokely didn't have an answer, just threw a FH over the bridge leaving him that 80' of open space to the basket.

I'd love to hook up with you guys sometime this upcoming year.

Nothing tests the mental game like gamesmanship. I find it vastly more enjoyable to play with those who love to banter, love to challenge you on tough shots, love to talk sh**in hopes it will bring down your game to their level and so on. It doesn't have to be overt either. It can be as simple as asking a guy who birdied 3 in a row, what is his record for consecutive birdies? A guy who had a hot start, whats your personal best? The people who can't handle these type of things are the people I don't really enjoy playing with.

I find it valuable to be able to enjoy playing with people that aren't exactly like me, but I get it. Not everybody likes diversity

... My competence is revealed in the quality of my work, not in comparison to anyone else's, but in its utility over time, and in the pleasure it brings me and those I work with and for...

I'll take this to mean you've never had anyone work for you. You've never been a boss.

On your finite journey through this ethereal realm, take the time to hire someone and treat them poorly. You will learn more from that than working with anyone. (I believe you are out to learn, since you ask so many questions.)

You remind me of a paralegal I once met. I was straightening out her computer workstation issues (which she had caused due to her ignorance). She was watching me closely. Out of the blue, she tells me; "You may know more about computers than I do, but I know more about the law then you do." Never one to worry about what people think of me, I responded with a simple question. "Have you ever been arrested?" She answered that no, she had not. I told her; "I think I know more about the law than you do." She left the room.

If I were you (and obviously I am not), I'd stop talking and start doing.

And stop looking into your neighbors windows. Unless you have their permission.

I remember Mike Moser also pinning that hole, flexing a Banshee perfectly. Stokely didn't have an answer, just threw a FH over the bridge leaving him that 80' of open space to the basket.

I'd love to hook up with you guys sometime this upcoming year.

CS...aren't you tight with Wildner? Seems like you have talked about this before.

If we don't get together down here, you should let us know when you are going to be up at Wild Haven. I don't get up there enough, that would be a great time as well.

I'll take this to mean you've never had anyone work for you. You've never been a boss.

On your finite journey through this ethereal realm, take the time to hire someone and treat them poorly. You will learn more from that than working with anyone. (I believe you are out to learn, since you ask so many questions.)

You remind me of a paralegal I once met. I was straightening out her computer workstation issues (which she had caused due to her ignorance). She was watching me closely. Out of the blue, she tells me; "You may know more about computers than I do, but I know more about the law then you do." Never one to worry about what people think of me, I responded with a simple question. "Have you ever been arrested?" She answered that no, she had not. I told her; "I think I know more about the law than you do." She left the room.

If I were you (and obviously I am not), I'd stop talking and start doing.

And stop looking into your neighbors windows. Unless you have their permission.

I've never been a boss, you're right. Never will be I reckon. From a household/husbandry standpoint, I believe in doing for myself whenever possible, and in mutual help with friends and neighbors. From a business standpoint I have no ambition to have more money than what I already get by solitary work. If the lessons learned by following your suggestion involve empathy and vengeance and waste and hopelessness and hatred and guilt, I'll do my best to learn them without mistreating people. I have some experience here... my closest friend having been a terribly mistreated person.

I am a little like your paralegal lady. I've never been arrested. If I had a computer workstation I would certainly muck it up with my ignorance. I know little about the law (I don't know what a paralegal is).

Doing what? Can I not talk and do? Do you know anything of the scope of my experiences or the aim of my life? I am not proud of my tiny knowledge. I didn't make it but I love it, because I found it free in the ditch, in the woods, in the islands and mountains and cities, in books, in speech, in work, in love, in the creek, in factories and farms, in songs and sickness, in cures and curses, under the ground, beside me in bed. I'm willing to take good advice from any source. If you have anything demonstrably wise and practically useful to say I welcome it.

My neighbors are whichever people I'm near. Their windows are their words, their movements, their cars, their discs, their clothes, their food, their music, their jobs, their romances, their crimes, their sicknesses, their children, their hands. Their eyes. I will not ask permission to include myself in the beloved world of humanity, even when throwing frisbees.

CS...aren't you tight with Wildner? Seems like you have talked about this before.

If we don't get together down here, you should let us know when you are going to be up at Wild Haven. I don't get up there enough, that would be a great time as well.

Wildman and I go way back. We encountered one another at Grand Woods in '96. I asked to play along on Hole #10 and the rest is history!

We camp out at Wild Haven several times a season. There's a music/Disc fest to take place on the summer Solstice weekend this June. We'll be jamming up on the new stage he built on Hole #2! No idea if Stonehenge will somehow be involved...Stay tuned!

I am probably also going to be there for Memorial Day Weekend as well. That's usually one of our camping funfests there.

Bring your night Discs!