• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MI to Blockhouse in Spotsylvania, VA and back again

AKormendi

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My brother's getting married out in Luray, VA, so me and my wife are playing some disc golf on the journey. Heading from Ypsilanti, MI out to Luray, stopping at Deer Lakes Park on the way out, then we're hitting the Blockhouse after the wedding, and probably making a day trip to Loriella Park and Pratt Park while we're in the region. Then we've got a trek back that would be a lot nicer if we had a chance to throw a round somewhere in the middle. Anything on the way between Spotsylvania and Michigan that we should make sure to hit that A) hasn't already been covered and B) isn't very far out of our way? We've got over 10 hours drive back, all planned for one day, so we don't want to overdo it with work the next day. But two 5.5 hour drives with a huck in between is a lot nicer than one straight trek.

Another option may be to spend a little less time at the Blockhouse area, and head towards Paw Paw, WVa... the courses seem great, but there's no contact information and they're listed as private, and I wouldn't want to trek all that way and not be able to play. On the other hand, starting the last day's drive that much closer to home would be nice, and I'd get to bag another state.

Deer Lakes, Loriella and Blockhouse are good courses...I am told Hawk Hollow is the best course in Spotsy and Moraine is the toughest and many say the best course in the Pitt area

I would suggest hitting the Black Course in Wheeling West Virginia....it's probably the most amazing and most underrated disc golf park on this site

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3640

Last edited:
Wont be playing an Toledo golf this trip, I can make it down there any day. Would like to make a day of Ottawa, Vienna, and Parmalee again, though.

You can take an alternate route home through Dover, OH and play Deis Hill, the detour should only add 30-45 minutes to the trip. And if you make two days of the drive back it looks like there are some nice courses between Canton and Akron.

Paw Paw is open, just show up there. May also consider Seneca Creek and Patapsco.

As a Pittsburgher. I would play Moraine over Deer Lakes any day....but Deer Lakes is nice also.

As a Pittsburgher. I would play Deer Lakes over Moraine any day....but Moraine is nice also. :D

Honestly, they are both superb courses and you cannot go wrong playing either/both. I would also suggest Paw Paw for some tight, tough courses.

When are you going?

Funny, I had the exact same situation on a recent road trip. We stayed two nights at The Grange, then had to get back to Michigan. We decided to play Knob Hill and Moraine on the way back, spending a night near Moraine. Moraine was and is probably the finest course I've ever played.

Paw Paw is a must play though, if you can spare the time. We didn't do it, and I regret it.

heads up, while Paw Paw or The Black Course are superior courses, you must allot plenty of time to play these and you might not want to do that if your are driving 10 hours that day.

I like Deer lakes slightly better than Moraine, both are great though and both are fairly close to the interstate. Even closer to I-76/I-79 is Knob Hill (north of Pittsburgh). Pittsburgh DG has plenty of choices and is probably half way on your trip!

an epic trip if you could hold up physically: Moraine, Deer Lakes, Paw Paw, Seneca, Blockhouses, Hawk Hollow.

I suggest contacting Lance Armstrong for some endurance enhancers. :p

I'd also consider the 'big 3' in the Cincinnati/N Ky area, the combo of Mt Airy, Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge
might be better than Pittsburgh's Knob Hill, Moraine and Deer Lakes. Now that's a discussion deserving it's own thread.

We also have a new course in Pittsburgh, just 5 minutes from Knob Hill. Only 9 baskets are installed right now. It is definitely worth a look if you are in the area.