• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid range disc selection help

Overpar

Par Member
I have a 168 Skeeter, 168 Shark, and a 170 Stingray I am not overly fond of any of these. The shark feels the best in my hand but it always seems to fade left on me. I was told by a friend that the skeeter and the stingray would give me a starighter finish I just hate the way they feel and because of the feel my accuacey suffers greatly when I use them.

Is there a mid range disc out there that would give me the feel of the shark but with a straighter finish?

Welcome to DGCR!

The Skeeter and Stingray are both understable mids that have fairly shallow rims...you might like something with a beefier rim. The Shark should be a pretty straight shooter, provided enough snap is applied. How far do you typically throw and do you have any nose-angle issues, e.g. do the discs seem to float above the ground at the same height for most of the flight or do they go up into the air? This might help you to figure out what disc (or technique change) will work best for you...a lot of the time it's not the instrument but the musician.

My midgame is my weakpoint. I can drive 300+ no prob and I am money on my puts within 50ft. It's that space between that gets me. I feel I am getting a decent snap but I have to back off my arm alot because I tend to overthrow in my mid shots. Could it be that I am throwing too light of a disc?

Your best bet is to learn how to deal with fade. Every disc has it, even the straightest shooter out there...some just more than others.

That said, if you desperately want a straight disc, latitude fuse or comet and from what I am hearing I would go rather lightweight for now until you start turning them over.

The light weights could be impacting it, or you might have a bit of OAT. A lot of the guys I know throw mids of the heaviest weights most of the time.

I am still very noob to the terms what does "turning them over" mean?
I didnt understand it either at first but what I recognize it as is the disc comes out on this angle / then levels out -- and sometimes mine fades to the right depending on which disc it is

Sweet ty for the info. I am going to the pro shop at a tourney tomorrow so I will see about getting a max weight to see if that helps. I tried a 150 way back and it just did not feel right so maybe a heavy will help with my overthrow issues. And I will take the advice on fade management.

If you are not throwing the mids well because you are powering down to much, you can try throwing something that won't go as far so you can still apply a good amount of power....

Putters do not have to be used just for putting and are disc that are generally made to fly straight. you can also get some putt and approach discs like a Classic Roc (very different from all the other Rocs), a Zone, etc.

oh, welcome to the site as well!

I feel I am getting a decent snap but I have to back off my arm alot because I tend to overthrow in my mid shots. Could it be that I am throwing too light of a disc?
I agree with Kwick. It sounds like experimenting with throwing putters a lot more will help with this a lot more than searching for a different mid.

I agree with Kwick. It sounds like experimenting with throwing putters a lot more will help with this a lot more than searching for a different mid.

+1 to that as well. Someone pointed out to me once that those are mid-range drivers, and putters are really for putt and approach. I've been using my putters more and more for shorter shots and trying to use the midranges when I know I can't reach it with a putter.

I only have a ss magic and a SSS vodoo for putters. They seem a bit floppy for anything that long, but I am throwing tonight so I will give it a shot.

Try a GL Core 170s,me and BCR were playing earlyer this week,had a slight down hill 100' nothing but straight to the pole.

You should be able to drive all-out with your putters and mids. Mids don't really take kindly to being underpowered. Putters take it just fine.

Most people will (or maybe should is a better word) throw their discs in these types of ranges:

Putters - 0' to as far as they can throw them with a full drive.
Mids - 80% of putter distance to how far they can throw them with a full drive.
Control drivers - 80% of mid distance to how far they can throw them with a full drive.
etc.

The 80% number is a loose approximation, but you get the idea.

What really helped my mid game was taking a soft putter I could and playing catch with a buddy at around 150-200 feet. I found I had no problem hitting my friend in the numbers at that distance. The 2nd step was talking that confidence to the course.

Latest posts