• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid-range Headwind discs?

Easy to find at shops and often in used sections:
Drone in Z as a true mid (pro d ok, but gets chewed up quick)
Firebird in Star or Champion (or DX too) as a mid/driver

Both super beefy and they make great utility discs beyond throwing into headwinds.
For sure two classic discs to try.

MVP Tensor is always reliable, but if you're looking for something a little cheaper a flat-top DX Roc will do in a pinch.

I use a gator or whippet for OS mids. I know the whippet is classified as a fairway driver but works well as a mid for me.

What type of distance do you throw? What are you trying to do with said midrange....go straight, go left, slight right then fade left if RHBH? This would help us figure out what would be best.

I throw Rocs so I have 4 rocs in my bag at all times:

1x KC Pro Glow 10x Replica 175g (used for straight shots with subtle fade at the end);
1x DX Zone Driven Ontario Roc 180g (used for straight to turnover shots);
1x DX Skull Ching Roc 180g (used for wind shots and predictable hard fade); and
1x 8x Kc Pro Roc 180g (wind beater and predictable fade at end of flight).

The only Roc that doesn't like the wind (except if it's downwind) is the Ontario Roc...every other Roc will fight the wind and put me right where I intended the disc to go.

I also put in the new Steve Brinster Millenium Sentinel and that can fight the wind pretty good as well. I haven't played that many rounds with it but it sure does have some great glide to it even in a headwind.

I don't like to give out the advice, "buy this disc" or buy that disc, because every disc is different. Also, not every disc is going to click with you.

Here's a solid piece of advice (worth repeating): discs will fade more in a tailwind, but less severely (discs will act like they are going slower than usual). Conversely, discs will fade less in a headwind, but will do so more severely (discs will act like they are going faster than usual), which is where you can get into problems, because discs will flip over or turn to the right too much.

Try to use a faster disc in a headwind, maybe bump up a speed. If you normally throw a speed 4 mid-range like a roc, try throwing a Buzzz which is a speed 5. Also, you might try throwing a fairway driver, instead of a mid-range if it's a really strong headwind. Fairway drivers without as much glide are good for powering-down on shorter holes. Many overstable fairway drivers power down well. I use the Vibram Ascent for this purpose.

Remember this: don't increase the number of discs in your bag needlessly. Increase your skill and knowledge of the game.

My disc selection is limited in my bag, so I usually throw my ESP Buzzz if there is a headwind.

I'll second the MVP Tensor recommendation. It's an impressive disc in that it will hold fairly straight and not dump too soon when it's calm out, but will still fight a headwind really well. I guess I'm saying that it's not SO beefy that it's not useful anyplace but a headwind, and as such is a versatile addition to your bag.

Hello - slight threadjack but didn't want to post another thread.

I would like some midrange disc suggestions for my wife's bag. She started discing with me somewhat recently and is at a novice skill level.

Presently she putts with a pair of 167g DX polecats. She used to throw a lightweight X stratus and has recently upgraded to a 152g opto diamond. We have not yet gotten out to the course with the diamond but she used to throw the stratus a bit over 100ft max.

Any suggestions for a disc that would complement her understable putter and driver?

Specifications:

She says anything higher than 160s hurts her shoulder. I am working on form with her.

I'm thinking something that would fight the wind but not fade like a brick in calm conditions would be ideal. Maybe a stable mid like a shark?

She wants something in pink or purple.

A 150-165 Cobra will fight the wind to some extent without acting way different from her other discs. I'm using a 167 Z Buzzz as a stable/wind mid, but that might be too heavy for her current form. The next step up in drivers for her might be the Leopard or Cyclone (LOVE my 150 Cyclone!!) - I'm using a Champ Leopard and X Cyclone as my main drivers after going with much faster discs then "discing down" with much success. I've heard alot of good things about the Diamond and can't wait to try one out.

A 150-165 Cobra will fight the wind to some extent without acting way different from her other discs. I'm using a 167 Z Buzzz as a stable/wind mid, but that might be too heavy for her current form. The next step up in drivers for her might be the Leopard or Cyclone (LOVE my 150 Cyclone!!) - I'm using a Champ Leopard and X Cyclone as my main drivers after going with much faster discs then "discing down" with much success. I've heard alot of good things about the Diamond and can't wait to try one out.

Talk about a blast from the past. Welcome back, Volkl.

I have the best results with a firebird, but also have enjoyed a wasp or a hornet for mids in the wind.

Latest posts