• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid-range Headwind discs?

xseption

Bogey Member
Is there a good mid-range disc for headwinds? Most refer to overstable distance drivers which I am not up to using yet.

~ Edd

Use a putter like the Sinus or Harp, there are more - I just forget the names all the time.

As a rule of thumb, headwinds make discs fly more understable. Throwing stable and overstable discs will provide the most distance. Any disc can be thrown in a headwind though.

My first "headwind mid" was a driver, a M JLS. Now I throw a Ti Wasp and a Cryztal Drone, depending on how much wind and how much fade I need.

I prefer the Wasp myself. Not as overstable as some options listed but a solid overstable mid.

Hello - slight threadjack but didn't want to post another thread.

I would like some midrange disc suggestions for my wife's bag. She started discing with me somewhat recently and is at a novice skill level.

Presently she putts with a pair of 167g DX polecats. She used to throw a lightweight X stratus and has recently upgraded to a 152g opto diamond. We have not yet gotten out to the course with the diamond but she used to throw the stratus a bit over 100ft max.

Any suggestions for a disc that would complement her understable putter and driver?

Specifications:

She says anything higher than 160s hurts her shoulder. I am working on form with her.

I'm thinking something that would fight the wind but not fade like a brick in calm conditions would be ideal. Maybe a stable mid like a shark?

She wants something in pink or purple.

CMD2. it's definitely the best stable mid at dealing with headwind that i've thrown. it's not overstable like what others are suggesting it's more like a roc but handles wind better.

OP- KC Pro Roc 180 or Roc3 JL 180. Both have enough stability to handle headwinds unless you are talking over 25-30. The KC will be a bit more stable then the Roc3. If you need something even more stable then go to a Gator or Zone. Both very beefy.

Hello - slight threadjack but didn't want to post another thread.

I would like some midrange disc suggestions for my wife's bag. She started discing with me somewhat recently and is at a novice skill level.

Presently she putts with a pair of 167g DX polecats. She used to throw a lightweight X stratus and has recently upgraded to a 152g opto diamond. We have not yet gotten out to the course with the diamond but she used to throw the stratus a bit over 100ft max.

Any suggestions for a disc that would complement her understable putter and driver?

Specifications:

She says anything higher than 160s hurts her shoulder. I am working on form with her.

I'm thinking something that would fight the wind but not fade like a brick in calm conditions would be ideal. Maybe a stable mid like a shark?

She wants something in pink or purple.

Get her a Jade.
It will pair up with that Diamond very nicely.
Or a lighter Teebird.
Both will fight wind, but be good for every day use.

My wife also carries a 162 QLF for high winds, and a 159 Hornet for a overstable mid.

Last edited:
I prefer the Wasp myself. Not as overstable as some options listed but a solid overstable mid.

I often throw my 175g Z Wasp in 15-20 mph headwinds and it handles itself just fine. I often think of it has a Mid-Range/Fairway Driver hybrid just like my Buzzz. I've thought about getting a 180g Z Wasp for extra windy days +20 mph winds. I found the Hornet had too much glide for windy days and the Drone was too OS for me. All three of those are great windy day "Mids". Just find which one works best for you.