• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Midrange help

If ur gonna forehand it as much as backhand, u definitely want something with good stability. The Cro would good for a small diameter mid and perhaps a Warrior for a large diameter.

if you're looking for an overstable mid (to prevent flipping) go with either a KC Pro Roc or a Latitude 64 Opto (plastic) fuse. It's much more overstable than the Core.

Brand New RANCHO KC Pro Roc is what you want for most overstable. I played ultimate for 10 years and have pretty darn good snap and this is what i use to prevent turnover

Another suggestion would be the Innova Cobra, which has a shallow rim that I really really like (and I like teebirds, too). The downside is that it's difficult to find in anything other than DX plastic. I'd suggest a weight around 175g. I can't speak too much about its value as a FH disc, but it gets slightly understable pretty quickly, so maybe couple it with a Millennium Sentinel (A Cobra with a thicker nose)?

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with CWAlbino here.....a Mid typically requires a slower smoother release and this is tough to do forehand.
Mids are meant to be touchy and sensitive to nose angle.......This feature also allows you to control them with more precision and allows for more lines
The Roc has tons of glide for a stable disc and thus allows for many unique line shaping options.....thats why its so popular
My advice....stop forehanding mids (unless last resort and escape shot)

Perhaps your trying to get too much distance out of your mid....maybe you are actually looking for a fairway driver...what distance are using the mid from?

If you insist of forehanding from under 250 away consider the banshee or whippet from Innova
Ions and Makos require almost perfect release to perform well and the Core and Cobra both have more understability than most might might think and require a smooth controlled perfect release.

Get a Cro.

It's a smaller-diameter mid, so it'll feel good in your hands. When I threw mine (before I found Rocs), it acted like a faster, overstable putter, with little glide and it stops dead when flat.

Cro is a good option.....keep in mind it will drop like a stone and is a more of a skip action disc than an in the air line shaper......I like them for ground skips or low celing shots

thanx for the tip. I used my z buzzz for about a year, lost it, and picked up a roc. the roc always seemed to turn over or flip up when throwing forehand. How is the mako? I don't always trust innova descriptions.

Try a Pig and a Gator. Although the Pig is classified as a putter, I use it for my go-to midrange disc and for shorter driving situations. Both start out overstable when new but break in very nicely. I think you would be able to throw both of these with your same motion and get better results.

Having said that, the roc typically shows flaws in the motion/release of the thrower. It sounds like you are either rolling your wrist when you release or you are just putting too much power into the throw.

if you're looking for an overstable mid (to prevent flipping) go with either a KC Pro Roc or a Latitude 64 Opto (plastic) fuse. It's much more overstable than the Core.

Brand New RANCHO KC Pro Roc is what you want for most overstable. I played ultimate for 10 years and have pretty darn good snap and this is what i use to prevent turnover

I think you might have your fuse and core confused.

I tried every mid out there and wound up with a 3 Rocs in my bag. I thought I needed some type of modified special grip cause the disc felt weird in my hand, but I really didn't. Save yourself all the time, money, and trouble....learn a Roc or Buzz.

3 Rocs: 1 Pro, 1 Beat DX, 1 New DX (These cover every shot you might need)

I tried every mid out there and wound up with a 3 Rocs in my bag. I thought I needed some type of modified special grip cause the disc felt weird in my hand, but I really didn't. Save yourself all the time, money, and trouble....learn a Roc or Buzz.

3 Rocs: 1 Pro, 1 Beat DX, 1 New DX (These cover every shot you might need)

This. 95% of the dg population throws a Buzzz or a Roc (it seems). They cant all be wrong.....my choice is the Buzzz. How can that NOT feel great in the hand!? Favorite disc for sure....

Maybe the Gateway Warrior...I saw it mentioned earlier. It is a moderately overstable mid so it may be a good FH disc, but not drasitcally overstable like a Gator or Drone, making it quite usable BH as well. It has a very small bead on it, that it can barely be felt

However, the rim width on this disc is about 1.4cm as opposed to Rocs, Buzzzs, and Cores that are about 1.2ish. It's in that really fast mid or really slow driver range. Since you said you liked the Teebird-feel, maybe this wider rim will brige the gap. The Mako also has a "big" feel in the hand, too.

Just because you don't like how a disc feels doesn't mean you can't throw it. Comets Used to feel so weird in my hand, but I got used to it because they are great. It doesn't matter how it feels, as long as it flies well

I dislike the feel of rocs and they make up my midrange game.

Warrior does feel great, but S plastic beats fast from gateway. Not exactly a popular stocked item around me.

I don't see how you can like the rim of a teebird and at the same time feel that your hands are too small for a buzzz or roc?.?.? Not that a teebird has an enormous rim, but compared to either of these discs it does.

if you are trying to find a mid that flies as far as your teebird because other people are driving with their mids, then I would encourage you to just play your game. I don't know, I just find the post kind of weird.

If it really is the "feel" of a rim because your hands are too small, then I would suggest just showing up at a shop and gripping every mid in the place. Hopefully you like one that can hold three lines...Hyzer, Straight, & Anny. That's what I expect my control mid to do. I throw a Shark, but I've found that Rocs, Buzzz, Fuse, Aviar, Wizard, Rattler, Comet...just about anything but an "overstable" as in Gator or Drone is capable of taking all three lines.

Last edited:
WOW thanks for all the feedback guys! I didn't expect so many posts. I wish I could have checked back earlier.

I have held a core and a cro and liked the way both felt. However I didn't get to throw them, they were customer discs I was dying.

I used my buzzz/roc midrange from 100-200 feet or so.

I agree that FH generates more spin and thus flips over a lower range disc. I may take you up on the "backhand only" suggestion.

I love the teebird because it just feels right. The angle of the lip, the way my finger wrap around and fit inside the rim, and can really fling it off my fingers and drive accurately 350. I can also pretty accurately throw it softer in the 200 range and just let it die out, stall and fall into place.

I use a dart for all my putting needs and anything under 100 ft gets this disc thrown at it.

Oh, another complaint about the buzzz, my index finger would occasionally hook on the rim for a late release. I know that is a technique/grip problem, but with all the plastic out there I'm sure there is a personal one for me. I will try a core and a warrior since a warrior seems to be more of a mid/fairway hybrid.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and feed back.

someone who has thrown a core and a buzzz might be able to comment on this but it may have a shallower rim than the buzzz
but otherwise the core and buzzz are very similar

edit: thrown both enough to comment
I have thrown a core and chose the buzzz

I agree that FH generates more spin and thus flips over a lower range disc. I may take you up on the "backhand only" suggestion.

I think that FH actually generates less spin and has more speed, that is why the disc flips easier. The spin stablizes the disc, so if it is traveling faster with less spin, it will turn over easier

Latest posts