• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Midrange help

bigmanbailye

Birdie Member
I need to find a midrange I like. I have tried Roc's and Buzzz's but I am looking for something that fits me better. I am 6' 5" with relatively small hands for my size (but not the burger king whopper hand guy) and I don't like the rims of the 2 most popular mid ranges. I throw FH and BH equally well and I am looking for a stable utility mid range that has a good BH and FH feel to it. The Teebird is my all time favorite disc and nothing feels better in my hand than that. Any suggestions?

Things on my try list:
Core, Comet, and Cro. just realized they all start with 'C' hmmmm

It looks like you have a lot of trial and error in your future. IF possible find a local player with different mids for you to try, shark, coyote, mako, aftershock, core, comet, and a dozen others are all options. There are a lot of versatile mids it's just time now to find one you like gripping.

Or you could just work more with your buzzz until you feel comfortable...

thanx for the tip. I used my z buzzz for about a year, lost it, and picked up a roc. the roc always seemed to turn over or flip up when throwing forehand. How is the mako? I don't always trust innova descriptions.

Mako or Coyote might have more of the type of rim you are looking for... No bead or anything... Just flat

Something you might want to consider is xXx or trident. the xXx I use as my overstable mid, utility disc, forehand shoots, and forehand rollers. The trident, I just got but have yet to test it out due to lots of snow but it is an overstable disc. Also worth nothing is Lat 64 is coming out w/a new overstable mid called the Pain, it may be of interest. To help save you money and if it's an option, try to finder a fellow golfer and try some of their mids to see if you like them before purchasing...just like the person before had said. Good luck!

I haven't thrown one but folks speak highly of the Core. You could also try the Classic Roc (has a different feel than a regular Roc) or an XD, they both are slightly understable though.

I'll pitch in and second the option of the Shark (or Spider depending on how stable you want it). I have both in my bag and throw them both. I love the shark because it has a SUPER predictable fade. You will hear a lot of jokes about that disc, but it has found a permanent place in my bag!

Perhaps trying something a little different might help. Have you tried throwing a driving putter like an Ion? You can get the same distance, but I like the control I have with a medium plastic Ion.

What is it exactly that you think you might be looking for in terms of grip? If you don't like Rocs you probably won't like a Comet. If you want something with a shallow or narrow rim a Core might be your best bet in terms of that. If you're looking for a mid with a driver-ish rim then a Squall, Nebula, or maybe even a Gremlin (can't remember what their rim is like). A Hornet is pretty nice for FH and pretty straight when you beat them in pretty good.

Try an Innova Cro. It feels much better in the hand than most of the others, and is a solid disc for forehand and backhand. I use a Cro and a Buzzz (less fade) for my mids, as I've never had a good relationship with the the bigger beaded Mids.

Tim S.

What is it exactly that you think you might be looking for in terms of grip? If you don't like Rocs you probably won't like a Comet. If you want something with a shallow or narrow rim a Core might be your best bet in terms of that. If you're looking for a mid with a driver-ish rim then a Squall, Nebula, or maybe even a Gremlin (can't remember what their rim is like). A Hornet is pretty nice for FH and pretty straight when you beat them in pretty good.

Almost forgot the squall, never thrown one but I've felt one and the guy throwing it was having some luck with it. Definitely has a comfy drivery feel to it.

I had and really liked my Panther until I lost it. It's very low profile (as you can see on Innova's website) and had a driver feel about it.

About the Mako, it almost feels like a slightly shallower putter. Out of the box, it's a straight flier that will hold any line. It was my go to disc after a pro recommended it to me right after I started playing and only recently was pushed out by my Christmas P-MD2. Both are very similar discs, but the MD2 is a little longer has a microbead (I think, have to go check) while I don't believe the Mako does. They feel very similar in hand to me.

thanx for the tip. I used my z buzzz for about a year, lost it, and picked up a roc. the roc always seemed to turn over or flip up when throwing forehand. How is the mako? I don't always trust innova descriptions.

That's a problem in form, not the disc. Forehanding mids and putters is touchy and best done with a slow driver like a teebird anyway. You should be picking mids by preference of your backhand and then finding out how to fix your forehand to use that mid. Forehands have faster velocity vs speed of spin ratio for most people, causing discs to turn over more than their backhand counterpart.

I would try out a Cro and Classic roc. I had the same issue that you have, roc and buzzz just dont feel right. These fit much better in my hand.

I don't think a lot of people start out with this mid, but a Discraft Stratus was the first mid I ever bought and it's my favorite disc!

I don't think a Shark would be the answer. Its rim is very[/I similar to the Roc's. Maybe a Mako, but it might not be stable enough to cover FH shots; but those shots might be better suited for powering down a fairway driver.

Mako or Coyote might have more of the type of rim you are looking for... No bead or anything... Just flat

I think the Coyote feels similar to the buzzz, but I have both a Mako and a Coyote for sale if that is what you decide. (I have a Champ panther too, but I think it feels similar to the Buzzz also :))

I like the Mako suggestion the best. If you can find someone with an ABC Mission, that may be a good disc for you.

Latest posts