• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Mids with large rims

First off, this is my first post on the forum. I come on here and read often and have learned a lot! Now it's time to start getting my hands dirty, so to speak.

Let me start by saying I am a fairly new player to the game (less than a year) and have had trouble being consistent with midrange discs. I do fine with my drivers (currently throwing in the 330-340 range) and putters, but have had serious problems with mids. I have thrown Rocs (I own 6 in less than a year of playing!), a buzzz, comet, and stingray. After practicing and practicing and practicing with the Rocs, as much as I like the disc and want to use it, just can't get comfortable with a grip on the disc. I should mention I'm 6'4" and have large hands. The comet and buzzz are easier to control for me than the roc because I can get a better grip on them due to larger rims.

Last week I bought an FLX Drone on a whim to try an overstable mid and LOVE it. It just fits my hand perfect. I love the beefy/deep rim and have no trouble controlling this disc as it fits my hand better. What other midrange discs are out there with large/deep rims? Overstable, stable, understable... I don't care as long as they have larger than average rim size. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I should also ask if anyone else has had a similar problem or maybe if there's a grip that would help or maybe my technique needs more work (which is does).

Last edited:
One question that comes to mind is how you grip the midrange discs? Is it a powergrip?

The Discmania MD2 and MD3 have "beefier" rims than most other mids. Also, since you're ok with the Buzzz I suggest checking out Prodigy's line of midranges, they feel great!

I would ditch those rocs for a few buzzes in different plastics.

Been there....sounds like my exact story
I'm 6-3, larger hands. Tried a lot of mids..started with Rocs, tried Wasps, Buzzzs.....Drone felt awesome! Went back to Rocs, then back to Buzzzs, tried the Core, you name it...Buzzz was the most comfortable...and after about a year or so, was in about the same distance range as you.

Here's my take...

There are ALOT of players that are bigger and they throw Rocs really well. Since you are newer, you are most likely still working on fundamental grip, stance, timing, angles, etc...and that is all affecting your ability to throw them.

I do agree that the grip is not comfortable...at first. But I throw Vectors now (premium plastic preference) and they are essentially a modernized Roc in rim design and I love 'em. After working out grip and OAT issues, which took a lot of time, I feel I now have decent control over the disc and can throw them in a variety of conditions on a variety of lines.

One thing that did help me grip and form wise is...(and I essentially use a power grip)
-Get the bead right in the fold of your first knuckle, with your thumb directly over it on the flight plate. You should be able to hold the disc just like this...and then grip the rest of the disc with a bit less force...this will help it release cleanly. I believe there is a David Feldberg vid on this (check Youtube)
-Practice driving putters. If a Roc feels awkward, then a putter probably feels terrible. But as you get better, it will feel more controllable, and suddenly the Roc will feel huge. :)

I'm not turning this into a Roc vs. Buzzz thread, or a Vector promo, but just suggesting and encouraging you to work through this. Ultimately, your style of play will help you select the right discs for your bag, but working through these issues early on will make you a better player, regardless of disc selection.

First off, this is my first post on the forum. I come on here and read often and have learned a lot! Now it's time to start getting my hands dirty, so to speak.

Let me start by saying I am a fairly new player to the game (less than a year) and have had trouble being consistent with midrange discs. I do fine with my drivers (currently throwing in the 330-340 range) and putters, but have had serious problems with mids. I have thrown Rocs (I own 6 in less than a year of playing!), a buzzz, comet, and stingray. After practicing and practicing and practicing with the Rocs, as much as I like the disc and want to use it, just can't get comfortable with a grip on the disc. I should mention I'm 6'4" and have large hands. The comet and buzzz are easier to control for me than the roc because I can get a better grip on them due to larger rims.

Last week I bought an FLX Drone on a whim to try an overstable mid and LOVE it. It just fits my hand perfect. I love the beefy/deep rim and have no trouble controlling this disc as it fits my hand better. What other midrange discs are out there with large/deep rims? Overstable, stable, understable... I don't care as long as they have larger than average rim size. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I should also ask if anyone else has had a similar problem or maybe if there's a grip that would help or maybe my technique needs more work (which is does).

Im in the same boat as you. Im tall with big hands, and the grip on the roc just never clicked with me. The first disc I really liked was the core from Latitude 64, and it feels very similar to a buzzz

But now Im using the MD2 and it feels great in my hands.

The feel of the roc (KC, DX, champ...) just never clicked with me, but the lower profile of the Roc3 does feel better in my hands IMHO.

All the Gateway mids have big wings. The Lightning #2 Flyer also has a big wing.

The size of the wing has never bothered my since I throw putters and drivers...you adjust grip to wing size all the time. The only thing that bothers me is the depth of the wing. Gateway mids are too shallow for my tastes.

I know you're lookin for mids, but I'll second the suggestion to work with some driving putters... Some good straight putters that come to mind are the wizard, aviar driver, and ion. They are all deep. Practice with this sort of stable putter will be great for your form and consistency

The m4 is a wicked mid and has a very meaty grip for a midrange, not deep, but has a wider wing. They come in heavy weights and feel like they have a larger diameter...

Im 6'4 like you, and have larger hands...and like you I started with rocs and moved to the buzzz for the same reason. I also got a hornet because it has a very similar feel, if you havent tried the hornet yet, I would definately recommend it. I recently transitioned to the Truth. It has a wider rim, but is shallower than the buzzz. It felt slightly odd on first impression because I got so use to my buzzzes, but after one round, I loved the feel of this disc. I throw a fan grip with everything under a fairway, and this disc fits the fan nicely. The disc im going to most recommend to you though, is the verdict. The verdict is slightly OS, has a straight flight path with great glide before a very dependable fade. It has a deeper rim than the truth, and feels very similar to the buzzz in the hand with a slightly wider rim. Over the years of playing, the verdict is the only real mid that when I held it, it felt "right", and I didnt have to "get use to anything". They have lucid proto verdicts on DGC right now for 14.99 I think too.

Edit: ive never tried one, but theTrident has a wide rim on it, not sure on the depth...feldberg loves em...anyways...

Good luck and welcome to DGCR!

If you like the Buzzz, you should try out the Truth and the Verdict. They feel good and fly good.
Their rim is very very similar to the Buzzz.

Mace and Ghost are built just like the Roc. So if you were thinking about those, they will feel the same as the Roc.

Core, Pain, Warship, Axis, and Vector are very similar to the Roc also.

imo u should keep the mids u have and learn how to throw those. u probly just need to modify ur grip to make it more comfortable. Avery Jerkins is pretty big and he throws rocs just fine but I am pretty sure he throws them with some sort of modified fan grip. so try keeping the pointer finger and pinky under the rim and fan out the two in the middle that will most likely help a lot.
buying a bunch of new discs isn't going to help a whole lot u could save money and keep the discs u know just by switching ur grip up some. definatly try out some different grips. everyone has suggested buying all new discs but u have 9+ mids already why go buy more just to have another companies discs? u can make any of them work none are really better than the rest but u have some that will work just fine

Last edited:
imo u should keep the mids u have and learn how to throw those. u probly just need to modify ur grip to make it more comfortable. Avery Jerkins is pretty big and he throws rocs just fine but I am pretty sure he throws them with some sort of modified fan grip. so try keeping the pointer finger and pinky under the rim and fan out the two in the middle that will most likely help a lot.
buying a bunch of new discs isn't going to help a whole lot u could save money and keep the discs u know just by switching ur grip up some. definatly try out some different grips. everyone has suggested buying all new discs but u have 9+ mids already why go buy more just to have another companies discs? u can make any of them work none are really better than the rest but u have some that will work just fine

I don't agree with this. Modifying your grip could lead to a bunch of problems. Adjusting grip could affect release point, accuracy, distance, and so forth. Why not get a disc that feels right instead of adjusting yourself to the disc?

One question that comes to mind is how you grip the midrange discs? Is it a powergrip?

The Discmania MD2 and MD3 have "beefier" rims than most other mids. Also, since you're ok with the Buzzz I suggest checking out Prodigy's line of midranges, they feel great!

I currently use a grip for my mids very similar to what Dave Dunipace calls the "Three finger power/accuracy grip" on the Dave's Grip Tips portion of the Innova website. I wrap three fingers under the rim and place my index finger along the edge of the disc.

Thanks for all the tips! Those are some suggestions I will have to check out.

I am currently using a grip where three fingers wrap around the rim (similar to a power grip) but my idex finger is alongside the edge/bead of the disc. Toothyfish, I will give your grip tips a try with the Rocs and check out that Feldberg vid on youtube. He seems like an excellent teacher.

The MD2 seems to have gotten the most recommendations, so I think I'm going to order one with a discgolfcenter.com gift cert I received for Christmas.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! They are greatly appreciated

Tyler, thank you for your input. I appreciate this comment and advice. However, I think this is pretty much what I have done for the last several months. I have tried several different grips and worked hard on technique in the last few months always thinking that I would eventually get comfortable enough and practice enough to use the roc consistently. Throwing the Drone was sort of an AHA! moment because the grip just clicked. It was easy to throw consistently and just "fit."

All this to say, I am not giving up on the roc and discs I have. I have received some other tips to try in this thread and will definitely try them out before spending a ton of money on more discs. However, I would like to try some others that are out there.

Prodigy M1-5, drone, viper, whippet, pain, warship, sentinel, truth, and verdict to name a few.

Try a shark3 for the same buzzz feel.. But more stability.

Also check out an md2 or md3

Latest posts