• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Mids with large rims

Im 6'4 like you, and have larger hands...and like you I started with rocs and moved to the buzzz for the same reason. I also got a hornet because it has a very similar feel, if you havent tried the hornet yet, I would definately recommend it. I recently transitioned to the Truth. It has a wider rim, but is shallower than the buzzz. It felt slightly odd on first impression because I got so use to my buzzzes, but after one round, I loved the feel of this disc. I throw a fan grip with everything under a fairway, and this disc fits the fan nicely. The disc im going to most recommend to you though, is the verdict. The verdict is slightly OS, has a straight flight path with great glide before a very dependable fade. It has a deeper rim than the truth, and feels very similar to the buzzz in the hand with a slightly wider rim. Over the years of playing, the verdict is the only real mid that when I held it, it felt "right", and I didnt have to "get use to anything". They have lucid proto verdicts on DGC right now for 14.99 I

Edit: ive never tried one, but theTrident has a wide rim on it, not sure on the depth...feldberg loves em...anyways...

Good luck and welcome to DGCR!
trident's rim is 1.9. More of a fairway

If you visit Inbounds at:

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

You can sort out discs by mid ranges, and by manufacturer and look at not only their stabilities, approximate distances, and flight paths, but also their physical specs like Rim Depth and Rim Thickness. You can do this by clicking the arrows on the far right of a disc name that point to the upper right hand side.

I used this feature to help me find a driving putter as I wanted to know the height, and rim depth of the discs when I couldn't actually go to a store and feel each separate mold.

Very useful tool. Great compiled data.

If you visit Inbounds at:

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

You can sort out discs by mid ranges, and by manufacturer and look at not only their stabilities, approximate distances, and flight paths, but also their physical specs like Rim Depth and Rim Thickness. You can do this by clicking the arrows on the far right of a disc name that point to the upper right hand side.

I used this feature to help me find a driving putter as I wanted to know the height, and rim depth of the discs when I couldn't actually go to a store and feel each separate mold.

Very useful tool. Great compiled data.

Thanks for the great tip. That's an incredibly helpful tool when comparing discs!

It technically is a short fairway driver, but the viper is a wider rimmed tweener yup disc. I use a champion one for tons of different shots and really like the beefy feeling rim.

As a kind of side note, does anyone know how Pro-D Drones break in? I love my FLX and assume it will stay very overstable for a very long time. Since I like the feel of the Drone so much, I'm thinking that a lighter weight Pro-D might break in to a straighter, more all purpose disc. Do they get straighter and stay useful as they break in or do they get squirrely/unreliable?

I am 6'4" too. I think you should try the ken climo/stack fork grip. Rocs feel like a little piece of heaven with that grip! Since ya already have six, wouldn't hurt to give em another week!

Pro-D Drones break in pretty nicely. Straighter and reliable type disc after some abuse.

I don't agree with this. Modifying your grip could lead to a bunch of problems. Adjusting grip could affect release point, accuracy, distance, and so forth. Why not get a disc that feels right instead of adjusting yourself to the disc?
I think grip per se doesn't matter at all as long as you get a few key things like grip strength and nose angle. Changing your grip shouldn't make a huge difference.. it doesn't for me atleast especially with mids. maybe a bit on drivers.. but mids I can throw 4 or 3 finger power grip, MJ fan grip, birdie grip, even banopane and they fly the same.. adjusting urself to the disc shouldn't be any more problem than adjusting to a brand new disc. but OP said he tried other grips and couldn't find a comfortable one so..
definitely search inbounds it is a great resource for flight charts and u can find rim depth and width. so if u like the drone find its rim depth and width and find discs in the same speed range with similar rim depth and width

Anything with a thumbtrac, Birdie, Rhyno, etc.

Sentinel MF is the biggest I can think of. not that its really a mid range....more like a slow fairway imo.

if you are looking for the "big" feel, like a drone, but want other flights...good luck. You're better off beating a drone to death.