• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minneapolis DG Adventure

My favorite courses in the twin cities:

Kaposia
Bryant Lake
The Valley
Hansen
Lakewood
CP Adams
Acorn
Oakwood
Basset Creek
Kenwood

Don't forget to swing by GGGT.

How will you be travelling to Minnesota? There are a ton of great courses in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the course list and the mention of GGGT, definitely going to work that into the itinerary for the trip. I will be driving, either solo or with one other buddy, from Michigan to Minny. Plan is to break up drive with a stop on the way there and a stop or two on the way back. Taking a full weeks vacation time or more if needed to make this a really fun trip.

Brp and VQ for northern pay courses.

Highland Hills and Bryant Lake for southern pay.

Crown College and Lions park for open big arm free courses.

Have been doing some homework and checking out all the courses mentioned by the folks in this thread. Also a big shout out to Precision Disc Golf for some quick DGCR videos showing tee signs, hole design and shots thrown. Headed down the Minnesota YouTube rabbit hole over a rainy weekend here.

Looking like late June and trying to get them all there on a Wednesday night so we can play 2 courses Thursday, 2 courses Friday and finish with one final round on Saturday. Reading a lot of (trusted) reviews and seems many of these courses are popular and get crowded in nice weather so hoping to get in two days while most folks work.

Tentative schedule
* Thursday - Blue Ribbon Pines (27) and ???? (18)
* Friday - Hyland Hills (18) and Bryant Lake (18)
* Saturday - Vision Quest (18)

Was going to do BRP and Vision but sounds like VQ is only open to public on weekends? Something nice and fun for AM2/AM3 players around BRP on a Thursday? Still looking into Lakewood, Oakwood, The Valley and Kaposia as possible courses. Nice to have so many options to choose from but narrowing it down gets hard for this trip.

Driving-wise, Lakewood is far closer to BRP than Oakwood, especially on a weekday. Acorn is closer still, but the quality of play is much higher at Lakewood.

Are you planning on playing leagues while out here. Please check BRP's league schedule. If you are up for a league, than you will have a great time. If not, the earlier in the day, the better.

Next question, where are you staying? HSSA is a monster of a course because of the up and down of the ski-hills. A recent re-design made it a little easier, but the toughest part of the course is the second-half. Thankfully there is a chalet where you can get a breather after 9 if you feel that you need to. Otherwise, the course is fairly out in the sun and might be a brutal mid-day play. The earlier the better if you want to beat the heat or sun, or really later in the day when the temp starts to cool and the western trees start to provide some shade. You also get a great view of Bloomington and surrounding cities that looks great late in the day. Bryant is not going to be overly challenging, but it is going to be one of the most relaxing and best rounds you will play all week. It has enough challenge, mainly because it has a little bit of everything (most Minnesota courses lack variety), but it is not overly punishing either. It has more than enough shade and relief from a hot day that there is no bad time of day to play. Traffic around HSSA (494) is going to be insane, especially later in the day. Arriving at HSSA around 10am or finishing your round later than 7:30pm is going to be your best bet.

Minnesota does not lack for options for getting out, but quality of play is not anymore impressive than anywhere else. I am sorry, and I have been given flak for this, but I have seen higher quality courses in IA, WI, MI, and IL. The difference, however, is that we have so many good choices so close together. I think we have some stellar 9 and 12 holers than most other areas would be jealous. I am anxious to see the redesigned Plymouth Creek, Bassett is decent, Lochness is decent if you like big shots, and just outside of the 494/694 loop you have some good choices in Independence and Montrose. Another course maybe worth a look is Wintercrest in Coon Rapids. It is 21 holes. A top player will card -9 to -13 or so, but it is technical enough where you could just as easily go in the opposite direction. It is a newer course, so it is still a little rough around the edges, pun and no pun intended. Unfairly to the NW suburbs, the better courses seem to be in the east to south-east side of the Cities. Lakewood, Kaposia, The Valley, CP Adams, and Oakwood. That is just so unfair to those on the west side of the Cities.

Have been doing some homework and checking out all the courses mentioned by the folks in this thread. Also a big shout out to Precision Disc Golf for some quick DGCR videos showing tee signs, hole design and shots thrown. Headed down the Minnesota YouTube rabbit hole over a rainy weekend here.

Looking like late June and trying to get them all there on a Wednesday night so we can play 2 courses Thursday, 2 courses Friday and finish with one final round on Saturday. Reading a lot of (trusted) reviews and seems many of these courses are popular and get crowded in nice weather so hoping to get in two days while most folks work.

Tentative schedule
* Thursday - Blue Ribbon Pines (27) and ???? (18)
* Friday - Hyland Hills (18) and Bryant Lake (18)
* Saturday - Vision Quest (18)

Was going to do BRP and Vision but sounds like VQ is only open to public on weekends? Something nice and fun for AM2/AM3 players around BRP on a Thursday? Still looking into Lakewood, Oakwood, The Valley and Kaposia as possible courses. Nice to have so many options to choose from but narrowing it down gets hard for this trip.

Thanks for the quick reply, going to pencil in Lakewood for now as the 2nd round on Thursday after a morning round at BRP. We have a group of 5-6 of us meeting up in Minneapolis this year (coming from MI, CO, VA and FL). Every year we try and do a DG trip / mini tournament at various courses. Probably play some doubles and rotate partners each round, then finish each day at a good brewery/eatery. Not planning on playing any leagues for this trip just some quality, fun courses.

As for Hyland I was thinking early AM round there while it is somewhat cooler and we are fresh (5 of us over 40). Got a chance to play Timer Ridge here in Michigan when it was briefly open and completely understand the physical toll it will take on a hot day. Hope to play Hyland, cool off and grab some food then make our way to Bryant Lake for an afternoon round on Friday. Appreciate the heads up on it anyways as those ski slope courses can be quite the work out.

Haven't booked a hotel yet, waiting for 2 of the guys to confirm they can get in on Wed night. Going to start that process next week and shooting for some place centrally located between BRP, Bryant Lake and GGGT store. I am driving in from Michigan so I will have access to a vehicle to get around as needed.

I remember Timber Ridge from the 2015 Am Worlds; it was a far better course than Hyland. The majority of HSSA plays around the perimeter of the property. You have a couple of crossing shots, but several straight up and down instead of criss-crossing. That also means most of the shots will be wide open, but if you fade or turn too much, you will be in the woods. The redesign did help break up the tortorous holes late in the course by trying to incorporating more in-the-woods shots.

It is a decent course, but in comparison to Timber Ridge, Eagles Peak (Mont du Lac), and Giants Ridge, HSSA is nothing special. Hole 18, however, the top of the world shot with a spectacular view of Bloomington can make it worth it. You will probably take numerous shots - as long as you do not fade out early into the pine trees on the left. Not to persuade you away from HSSA; it is only minutes from Bryant. Also, if you have never played cone baskets, Moir is a really old course with 9 cones and it is only minutes from HSSA. Nice piece of disc golf history. Despite it being cones, 9 holes, and 8 of 9 holes you could get by with a putter, it is very fun course. If the park is empty, you can knock a round in 20 minutes or less. So, you have enough time to take numerous ace runs - who does not want to have a cone ace?

Lastly, if you are planning on going to GGGT, Bassett and Plymouth are within minutes. Bassett is more wide open with a little hazard, but Plymouth is a very technical course. It is designed well, and Hole 8 long to long is one of the few legitimate Par 5s in the state, especially if you play over the creek as OB. Problem with Plymouth, it is incredibly popular, especially with newer players. And just for consideration, have you looked at Kenwood Trails? If you are in the area after the school year, one of the best courses in the area. If during the school year, watch the hours if not a weekend.

Thanks for the quick reply, going to pencil in Lakewood for now as the 2nd round on Thursday after a morning round at BRP. We have a group of 5-6 of us meeting up in Minneapolis this year (coming from MI, CO, VA and FL). Every year we try and do a DG trip / mini tournament at various courses. Probably play some doubles and rotate partners each round, then finish each day at a good brewery/eatery. Not planning on playing any leagues for this trip just some quality, fun courses.

As for Hyland I was thinking early AM round there while it is somewhat cooler and we are fresh (5 of us over 40). Got a chance to play Timer Ridge here in Michigan when it was briefly open and completely understand the physical toll it will take on a hot day. Hope to play Hyland, cool off and grab some food then make our way to Bryant Lake for an afternoon round on Friday. Appreciate the heads up on it anyways as those ski slope courses can be quite the work out.

Haven't booked a hotel yet, waiting for 2 of the guys to confirm they can get in on Wed night. Going to start that process next week and shooting for some place centrally located between BRP, Bryant Lake and GGGT store. I am driving in from Michigan so I will have access to a vehicle to get around as needed.

Question for the locals, is Vision Quest only available to the general public on the weekends? We were hoping to play this and BRP on Thursday after everyone arrives on Wednesday. With 5 of us possibly playing doubles (with cali) thought it would be best to avoid weekend crowds and hit these two during the work week. Thanks in advance for the help.

Question for the locals, is Vision Quest only available to the general public on the weekends? We were hoping to play this and BRP on Thursday after everyone arrives on Wednesday. With 5 of us possibly playing doubles (with cali) thought it would be best to avoid weekend crowds and hit these two during the work week. Thanks in advance for the help.

On the Twin Cities Facebook page they advertise all the time about special deals on carts and rounds on Thursday, so while I have not personally checked it out, I would be under the assumption that some, if not most, weekdays they are available. No harm in calling, though.

As for weekend crowds, the course is big enough to hold a lot of players, and with the tournament and summer series leagues playing, most of the crowds are usually somewhere else. For example, MN Ams is at Kaposia Saturday and Sunday, and that will draw over 100 players. I am not sure where the pros are at this weekend, but even still, I can promise you that it would be more crowded at BRP than VQ.

Side note: are you planning on playing Thursday Flex League at BRP on Thursday? It can be moderately crowded throughout the day Thursday and Sunday because of leagues. Not to scare you away, because Thursday before most people are off of work should be fine, but those two days see a lot of traffic.

Call or email the owner and explain you are coming from out of state. You might get special access via an appointment if scheduling works.

Side note: are you planning on playing Thursday Flex League at BRP on Thursday? It can be moderately crowded throughout the day Thursday and Sunday because of leagues. Not to scare you away, because Thursday before most people are off of work should be fine, but those two days see a lot of traffic.

Plan is to play BRP in the morning on Thursday, maybe 9:30/10:00 am range. Then either Vision Quest after (if open to public) or Lakewood Hills (if not) early afternoon like 1:30/2:00 range. With BRP leagues Thursday evening we will definitely play it first as to avoid the traffic. Thanks for the heads up!

Call or email the owner and explain you are coming from out of state. You might get special access via an appointment if scheduling works.

That's what I was thinking, make a personal call and explain our situation and see if there was a way to sneak a round in. Put that on my To Do list for sure now that it sounds like it might be possible to play on a Thursday. Probably getting hotel by the airport and some guys fly out Saturday evening. Was hoping to avoid driving back up to VQ on a Saturday after making that drive on Thursday for BRP. Doing BRP/VQ on Thursday means we can play something closer to airport on Saturday for final round. Thanks!

Well the email didn't work out, maybe it was an old one and needs updating (on About page for course)? Did a quick google and got the phone # and called, was informed they are open to the public all week long. Should make for a fun day hitting both BRP and Vision Quest in the same day. Less than a month to go!

Thanks again to everyone who pitched in their $.02 on which courses to play. Very impressed with the upkeep of just about every course and the multiple pads and baskets giving us all kinds of options to play. Looks like we hit BRP immediately after it was set-up for the Minnesota Majestic, so it was quite challenging but in great shape and even the burger shack was open that Thursday. The weather was amazing in the 78-85 deg range, minimal wind and no rain.

Road trip stops: Lemon Lake (IN), The Canyons (IL), Wilderness (WI) and Zobel Park (WI)

Minnesota courses: BRP, Vision Quest, Bryant Lake Park, The Valley along with Brockway park and Rosland Park. Also snuck in a visit to GGGT and spent a little money.

Now sitting at 120 courses played in 11 different states. Narrowly missed my first out of state ACE, off the cage at The Valley #17 on our last day. Would have been an incredible way to finish out the trip. Thanks again DGCR and all the Minnesota folks for the help!

Sidenote to getting an out of state ace. I have two in Iowa from prior trips (Wildcat Bluff), but I just finished up my family vacation to the Grand Canyon and ended up playing courses in Amarillo, Albuquerque, and Colorado Springs. No metal, but I had a lot of good runs and parked jobs. At Colorado Springs, I had a couple of locals showing me the course and it would have been nice to bag one there in front of them.

The vacation occurred during Majestic week and is the first time I missed that tournament since I started attending in 2009. In fact, I may not be able to play BRP before it goes back to its normal layout. I am a little bummed, but I have a big July planned for disc golfing. I have my league's annual road trip to northern Wisconsin, I am going to hit up Chain's Edge again, and will need to sneak up to White Cedar in Mont du Lac. In August is CCO at Cedar Creek. I am going to have a lot of great rounds before I return to the classroom this fall.

Thanks again to everyone who pitched in their $.02 on which courses to play. Very impressed with the upkeep of just about every course and the multiple pads and baskets giving us all kinds of options to play. Looks like we hit BRP immediately after it was set-up for the Minnesota Majestic, so it was quite challenging but in great shape and even the burger shack was open that Thursday. The weather was amazing in the 78-85 deg range, minimal wind and no rain.

Road trip stops: Lemon Lake (IN), The Canyons (IL), Wilderness (WI) and Zobel Park (WI)

Minnesota courses: BRP, Vision Quest, Bryant Lake Park, The Valley along with Brockway park and Rosland Park. Also snuck in a visit to GGGT and spent a little money.

Now sitting at 120 courses played in 11 different states. Narrowly missed my first out of state ACE, off the cage at The Valley #17 on our last day. Would have been an incredible way to finish out the trip. Thanks again DGCR and all the Minnesota folks for the help!

Glad you had a good trip.

Thanks, some beautiful courses you all got there. :thmbup: The Colorado guys were super impressed with all the mowing they saw going on. Guess mowed fairways are hard to come by out there.

Only change we made was to drop Hyland Ski Area and play Bryant twice, which felt like a solid decision as Bryant was pretty awesome. Ran into some guys at BRP and asked them about the courses we had lined up and got some grumbles about Hyland. Everyone we ran into raved about Bryant so we played longs one round and shorts the second round.

Yeah, man I really need to get out there again. Been since '15 since I've been to the cities.

Bryant 17 is the best top of the world shot I've played. Super fun course.