• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MOLF Revisited

dgdave

* Ace Member *
So, what do you guys think after having time with them?

There was a ton of hoopla for there release and I haven't heard much. People are still talking about the destroyers and they were released around the same time.

I'm thinking about trying these out in the winter

I like them because they are basically like a solf that is slightly longer and more understable....of course they are less stable in windy conditions, but thats the trade off.

I felt like it was a longer Teebird with a tad bit more high speed turn. Good accurate disc but I was expecting a bit more D out of it since I had planned on using it as a Max D disc. I can get Star Wraiths out farther so it came out of the bag. I do like the Millennium plastic though. Overall, good disc but a broken in Tsunami covers the same spot in my bag since it didn't seem to fit my Max D slot.

I just got one... I'll let you know. I've only thrown it a couple of times, but I like so far.

(by the way, I like the QOLF you traded me)

I was one of the people that was excited for it to come out but I wasn't that impressed after a couple of games. It has grown on me. So after more than 50 games I still carry a MOLF in my bag and I really like it. It does fly a lot like a longer DX Teebird. They get high speed flippy a lot faster than a Teebird though. I also carry a SOLF and the MOLF/SOLF combo are my workhorse long drivers. For wide open longest distance I throw a Star Destroyer. I was throwing Pro Starfires before the MOLF and the thing that impressed me most about the MOLF compared to the Pro Starfire was the accuracy/consistency of the MOLF"s flight.

MOLF is glorious, if you like the SOLF then there is no reason to not throw one.

It starts exactly the same as a SOLF, but then beats in a little to be a touch longer and slightly less HSS, and then stays that way.

I've heard of people complaining about them turning into rollers, but my 170g MOLF is my main driver on anything long where accuracy is even remotely important, and it is still in great condition.

It also feels a little better than a SOLF, and a lot better than a QOLF.

Basically, if you throw a SOLF or QOLF, get one to complement it.

I think there wasnt too much fuss over it because it is so similar to the SOLF. I agree that if you already carry a SOLF, the MOLF is a great compliment.

I'll have to agree with most of what's already been posted. Definately flys like my teebird with about 25ft more distance. My 170g broke in fairly quickly to become pretty understable. Not quite as long as my champ wraith but i find it a bit more consistent. I put it in my bag after i lost my SOLF, but I just got a new one so we will see how long the MOLF stays in.

twmccoy,

The MOLF is an Orion LF in standard Millennium plastic. It came out about 8/07

M is Millenium's base plastic. The S in SOLF is Sirius plastic which is a lot like star (I think its damn near the same). The JLS and OLS are already standard in M plastic (which is damn near the same as innova pro plastic). The SOLF came out first--which was kind of strange, but the MOLF is basically just an Orion Long Fade in Innova's pro plastic. Some people say M plastic is slightly higher quality than pro and some people say Sirius plastic is slightly higher quality than star....but they're damn near the same!

Aaron_D said:
I like them because they are basically like a solf that is slightly longer and more understable....of course they are less stable in windy conditions, but thats the trade off.

I agree most with this statement. I did throw these about 30 feet further then the SOLF, but I was a little bit disappointed only because I had a different idea on what to use this disc for. I flip this crap outta these, unlike it's Sirius Plastic version. Plus I tried it in a headwind and it was not as good and actually went to the right on a about 3 of the 5 test throws with almost no fade, which is not what I wanted.
For now I'm going to stick with my Sirius OLF instead, and a QOLF if I can find one, nobody seems to want to give these up...

The Molf is nice, but like other users already have commented, it is pretty understable. It is nowhere near the straightline flyer a teebird is. Dont get wrong it flies really nice. But I would say its more like a Valk than a Solf

well, I think this conversation turned me away from trying them. I'm not a fan of flippy discs. Thanks for all the insight guys.

I enjoyed them when i was throwing SOLF/MOLF for my distance drivers. I agree that they do fly alot like teebirds but with a little more left to right play.

I only stopped throwing them because I recently figured out that good old teebirds and tl's go hella far and the distance/accuracy cannot be beat. For max D now I'm throwing my 171 and 175 ols as far as anything I ever have.

If I had a bigger bag I'd probably keep a 175 SOLF for max distance in headwinds but for now ill sacrifice a little distance and throw my max weight teebird.

long story short - teebird/ tl can't be beat and i've given up trying to find something that will

I'd say the MOLS was more like a Valk than the MOLF. Maybe I didn't throw them enough but mine never got flipply like the MOLS would for me. To each their own I guess.

I think I might stand out as the exception here, I got a MOLF a while ago when they first came out, but I've only thrown it a few times. I was expecting it to be similar to the SOLF (my main driver, probably), but to be maybe a little less stable and longer. What I experienced was the opposite...seemed more stable and noticeably shorter. I don't know what gives, I played a few rounds more with it to beat it in a bit, but didn't see any significant change. It's weird, my SOLFs have flown well for me fresh out of the box, and keep doing well as they get beat in, whereas the MOLF just didn't fly like I wanted it to. Maybe I'll give it another shot, and use it exclusively for a few rounds or something, but I was surprised that I sucked so bad with it.

Tim_the_Enchanter said:
I think I might stand out as the exception here, I got a MOLF a while ago when they first came out, but I've only thrown it a few times. I was expecting it to be similar to the SOLF (my main driver, probably), but to be maybe a little less stable and longer. What I experienced was the opposite...seemed more stable and noticeably shorter. I don't know what gives, I played a few rounds more with it to beat it in a bit, but didn't see any significant change. It's weird, my SOLFs have flown well for me fresh out of the box, and keep doing well as they get beat in, whereas the MOLF just didn't fly like I wanted it to. Maybe I'll give it another shot, and use it exclusively for a few rounds or something, but I was surprised that I sucked so bad with it.

This was the case for me, so you weren't alone. There were times it did go further, but it wasn't consistent and if I put too much on it, it flipped like a 2$ hooker on Colfax.

Latest posts