• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More Shady Reviews

I don't think I want to review a top 10 course. All it does is attract thumbs down no matter what you give them.

If you miss something, thumbs down, if you right a novel so you don't miss anything, thumbsdown
If you give them a 5 rivals give you a thumbs down, if you give them 4.5 locals give you a thumbs down. and so on

You're right, of course (intended), there is no standard for subjectivity.

Thumbs down don't bother, really, it's all relative, which I think was my point.

:)

I've reviewed only two courses: Idlewild because it is Top 10 and Vastwood because it is mine. And while my reviews are brief -clear and concise (less is more is mantra of mine) - they are genuine, yet I received mostly thumbs down on the Idlewild review. I've been playing a long time, many excellent courses in numerous states, and have no allegiance to any (least of all my own) course. I'll likely review Holler in the Hills similarly (I'm playing it Monday) and I wonder how this might speak to my integrity as a reviewer.

Personally, I'd rather photos of courses to entice me to play than long winded hole by hole descriptions. I consider a 4-6 sentence paragraph for each (pro/con/other) sufficient, if seemingly objective, clear and concise.

Should I expect more thumbs down because I'm brief but honest?

I can tell you why I would Thumbs Down your review. Idlewild and a few other courses have lots and lots of locals who love the course. You've played Idlewild 5+ times, offer no criticism of the course, and pretty much say what all the other reviews say. The review doesn't offer any unique perspective that I can see.

My home course has a little war going on for it right now too:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3345&mode=rev

It is a rec/int level course which is fun and challenging to suckos like myself and pros get 44s on the thing. So the course is wildly popular for rec and brand newbian players and has a following of better players as well. It has all the amenities and after people bitched about the long walk the county even put in a big gravel parking lot closer to the course. The only thing at the park is the course, walking trails and a playgroun/pavillion.

It is a love/hate thing among better players...just look at the difference in ratings.

Bill I need to get back out to Alexander soon to see if I still hate it as much as I did when I first played it. Maybe the intense heat just had me in a crabby mood that day.

Theres alot of review snobs on the site.. some have to get over themselves

Lets see, you've been on the site 2 weeks, playing for one tenth of year and you wear empty cases of beer on your head.

I see no reason not to trust your judgement.

Bill I need to get back out to Alexander soon to see if I still hate it as much as I did when I first played it. Maybe the intense heat just had me in a crabby mood that day.

Its ok, you don't have to like it and I wasn't calling you out...there have been other bad reviews and I am not saying they are wrong either, but Alex is one of those courses that seem to draw everything from hate to dislike to impartial to like to love....kind of strange how it runs the whole gamut.

I have certainly found courses out of town that put it to shame...hell, put all of our courses to shame, but I still like it among the choices here.

I do hear you on the heat though, that and a big crappy crowd can make a real sour review.

My home course has a little war going on for it right now too:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3345&mode=rev

It is a rec/int level course which is fun and challenging to suckos like myself and pros get 44s on the thing. So the course is wildly popular for rec and brand newbian players and has a following of better players as well. It has all the amenities and after people bitched about the long walk the county even put in a big gravel parking lot closer to the course. The only thing at the park is the course, walking trails and a playgroun/pavillion.

It is a love/hate thing among better players...just look at the difference in ratings.

Was that hip hop Freudian slip right there? Punks jump up to get beat down if they write crappy reviews of my favorite courses.

I can tell you why I would Thumbs Down your review. Idlewild and a few other courses have lots and lots of locals who love the course. You've played Idlewild 5+ times, offer no criticism of the course, and pretty much say what all the other reviews say. The review doesn't offer any unique perspective that I can see.

Thanks for taking the time, Beable.
The thing is, I can disagree with any number of the reviews which were given thumbs up because of their "unique perspective." I can appreciate them taking the time; I just don't find it useful or necessary.
Tell me succinctly about distance, layout, elevation, trees, tees, benches, a unique shot or two ... and that's all what's neccessary to pique my interest.

Ah well, I'm not here to be awarded a reviewer mini anyway...
I just don't think one's integrity can be questioned based on a course review, as was suggested.

That's why there is a sort function and trusted reviewer program here- to weed out shady reviews. They are very easy to ignore.

Was that hip hop Freudian slip right there? Punks jump up to get beat down if they write crappy reviews of my favorite courses.

Coming from the same guy that made me say "Jump on it!" everytime I throw or see an Apache, what do you think?

That's why there is a sort function and trusted reviewer program here- to weed out shady reviews. They are very easy to ignore.

The problem is that when people are too nit-picky, they discourage others from reviewing at all. I think many like to comment on their experience and highlight a few things here and there, not write a frommers guide on the damn thing. When you read through the reviews (esp when there are many) you dont want to repeat the same things everyone is saying... Do you all want 1500 words double spaced?

I've only reviewed two of twenty plus played because I don't have much more to offer and don't want to be hated on! Plus I think most of my courses would whop up on yours! Jj

Yeah, good idea. I reviewed a couple courses after 2 years since playing them and the thumbs were not kind; though I can get over that.

I've reviewed only two courses: Idlewild because it is Top 10 and Vastwood because it is mine. And while my reviews are brief -clear and concise (less is more is mantra of mine) - they are genuine, yet I received mostly thumbs down on the Idlewild review. I've been playing a long time, many excellent courses in numerous states, and have no allegiance to any (least of all my own) course. I'll likely review Holler in the Hills similarly (I'm playing it Monday) and I wonder how this might speak to my integrity as a reviewer.

Personally, I'd rather photos of courses to entice me to play than long winded hole by hole descriptions. I consider a 4-6 sentence paragraph for each (pro/con/other) sufficient, if seemingly objective, clear and concise.

Should I expect more thumbs down because I'm brief but honest?
yes. If a reviewer gives a 4-5 to a course or a 0-1 it seems that it was a memorable experience either way. You should have several things that made it a 5 or a 0. These courses should be the easiest to write a review full of complete and descriptive sentences to paint a picture of the incredible round or the round from hell. But I do understand thinking "What more can I add, everything has been said". Especially when reviewing a course that has already been reviewed by 50 people with close to 20 of them being trusted reviewers. I agree about the photos of the holes. If I had to chose between between them I would go with photos, but a photo can't give you sometimes badly needed tips about navigation or certain days the course is unplayable due to other activities in the park.