• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most courses per state

I know there have been posts in the past about smaller communities and the amount of holes per population. I'm always interested in the smaller communities that have lots of courses.

Iowa is mostly made up of farming communities and lot of those small towns have several courses. Heck, Oconee County, SC, where I live have 4 18-hole courses and a 9-hole course with another 18 and two other 9-hole courses being installed this spring.

we kind of have an advantage seeing that our state is 10 times bigger than most states.

seems like they are all centered around Denver in Colorado. I also know that in states like CO they probably have a large number or private or renegade courses we don't have listed.

exactly! :D

I know of at least 4 that aren't on the site. And those are within 50 miles of me, I'm sure there are more. There is also a new amazing course going in near PF and BR.. from the video I am guessing it'll (they'll) be an easy top 10 in the next couple of years.

here is the link to the video.. thank you klay for pointing it out to me

Doing a quick search KY has 47 3+ courses. I am very lucky to live in the cincy area.

I've said this before on here and I'll say it again. The way courses seem to proliferate has more to do with the people of a region making demand for them, and very little to do with state lines that were drawn a good 100-200 years before disc golf every came about. Look inside many states and even in ones with lots of courses, you'll generally see hot spots and dead spots, and in cities that are good disc golf meccas, courses will be plenty, even in ones that have a state line going through them. Places like Kansas City, Cincinnati and Charlotte come to mind where you have good courses on both sides of their respective state lines.

So I don't put much stock into a state vs. state measuring stick, or even a per capita, or per square mile one, because things that have nothing to do with disc golf tend to skewer the results.

Ordered by most courses per person. The value is the number courses per 100,000 people.

1 —*Iowa 5.682
2 —*South Dakota 4.854
3 —*North Dakota 4.825
4 —*Wyoming 4.752
5 —*Kansas 4.005
6 —*Montana 3.707
7 —*Vermont 3.672
8 —*Idaho 3.470
9 —*Wisconsin 3.379
10 —*Minnesota 3.349
11 —*Alaska 3.321
12 —*Nebraska 3.202
13 —*Maine 3.162
14 —*Colorado 2.189
15 —*Oklahoma 1.978
16 —*Oregon 1.963
17 —*Mississippi 1.914
18 —*Michigan 1.752
19 —*Kentucky 1.739
20 —*New Mexico 1.681
21 —*South Carolina 1.539
22 —*North Carolina 1.502
23 —*Indiana 1.412
24 —*Missouri 1.331
25 —*Delaware 1.323
26 —*Illinois 1.321
27 —*West Virginia 1.294
28 —*New Hampshire 1.290
29 —*Ohio 1.247
30 —*Arkansas 1.157
31 —*Washington 1.157
32 —*Tennessee 1.109
33 —*Utah 1.029
34 —*Texas 0.974
35 —*Virginia 0.877
36 —*Alabama 0.875
37 —*Pennsylvania 0.855
38 —*Georgia 0.703
39 —*Arizona 0.586
40 —*Louisiana 0.568
41 —*Nevada 0.551
42 —*California 0.523
43 —*Hawaii 0.509
44 —*Connecticut 0.475
45 —*Florida 0.457
46 —*Massachusetts 0.440
47 —*Maryland 0.412
48 —*New York 0.339
49 —*New Jersey 0.227
50 —*Rhode Island 0.095

With just a quick look, that list doesn't look surprising at all, lower population densities and lots of open land in all those at the top of the list.

One factor that works against a state is shoreline boundaries. Typically, your bigger population centers are on coastlines. The coastal border for a city wipes out around 1/3 of the suburban area where more courses typically get located. Note how well course development goes in areas where suburbs completely surround the city center like the Twin Cities, KC, DFW, Charlotte, Cincy, Des Moines. Compare that with the relatively low course development around coastal cities like L.A., S.F., Baltimore, Boston, Miami. Plus, shoreline property anywhere is typically higher value and less likely to be available for DG courses.

In light of that, Michigan's DG development is pretty impressive with its position on the chart above considering all of its shoreline. But you can see California and Florida with lots of shoreline cities are pretty low on the course density chart.

there are countless private courses not listed here. I looked in one city where i have played a couple of private courses in indiana, and not one was listed and I know there are 4 within 10 minutes of one another. When I played there, I played with the guy who owned one and he said that he knew of at least 25 private courses in north central indiana. I can only imagine how many courses there really are in the U.S. but I can't complain because I live within 25 minutes of 8-10 GREAT public courses.

One factor that works against a state is shoreline boundaries. Typically, your bigger population centers are on coastlines. The coastal border for a city wipes out around 1/3 of the suburban area where more courses typically get located. Note how well course development goes in areas where suburbs completely surround the city center like the Twin Cities, KC, DFW, Charlotte, Cincy, Des Moines. Compare that with the relatively low course development around coastal cities like L.A., S.F., Baltimore, Boston, Miami. Plus, shoreline property anywhere is typically higher value and less likely to be available for DG courses.

In light of that, Michigan's DG development is pretty impressive with its position on the chart above considering all of its shoreline. But you can see California and Florida with lots of shoreline cities are pretty low on the course density chart.

There's a lot of undeveloped or lightly populated coastline in Michigan and Wisconsin.

Where the coastline impacts Minnesota is the 10,000 lakes. You would think we'd have more water hazards here. But that shoreline land is more valuable and we have few water hazards on our courses. The one on my home course is artificial as a rain run-off pool.

Everything is bigger in Texas!

20711d1212346520-planning-trip-alaska-vs-texas.gif