• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Most hated disc ever...other than the Groove

If anyone has said this including me I am sorry, 99% of the Quest AT discs, now in a cheep looking Champion/Z type plastic. 10mm Brick is now as floppy as an Aerobie Dogobie. Most of those discs are garbage and hated by everybody.

The only disc from Quest AT that looks and I have had in hand that is worth anything is the 10 meter Crossfire. That disc in the old plastic flew like a Rubber Putter/domed Aero in but more the ROC type size so the putter could be up to 180 grams. I felt the newer version of plastic and it feels like a lesser version of any other brands Clear plastic. Only disc worth using from Quest AT.

I really disliked the TeeDevil. Didn't feel right and didn't glide very well. It was supposed to be a straighter Destroyer but it would go 30-40ft shorter for me. I'll just throw a Rival if I want a straight flight, and with much more control.

Huh. A 180 champ zephyr is by far my favorite catch disc. What didn't you like about it?

I've only thrown Zephyrs in DX plastic. The Zephyrs were ones that that I purchased for an extended family gathering to toss around in the yard with others.

In the past, I have tried bringing putters to the family outings to throw with others. But, I am the only disc golfer in the group, and the other people at these have little to no experience with throwing discs. What one would see is a bunch of people underthrowing discs, and having trouble catching the discs without hurting their hand. Yeah, my rather un-athletic family.

When I tried ultimate discs at subsequent gatherings, they worked great. The others could throw the discs decent distances, the discs would not move too fast, and no one would get smarting hands.

I then purchased some Zephyrs, intending that these would bridge the gap between discs that I am willing to bag during a round and discs for the family gatherings. But, while being big clunky objects, Zephyrs don't have anything like the glide of an ultimate disc. Most of the participants couldn't throw the Zephyrs as far as an ultimate disc. There were lots of underthrows, and less fun. That idea was a dud, and Zephyrs won't be making more appearances at the family gatherings.

I would only bring a Zephyr to a disc golf course if I wanted to severely handicap myself for the round, which I sometimes do actually. But, for normal rounds, a Zephyr has no appeal to me. It won't fit in my bag. I hate the shape of it. And, I can't think of anything that it does even half as well as another disc that it would need to replace.

Last edited:
I would only bring a Zephyr to a disc golf course if I wanted to severely handicap myself for the round, which I sometimes do actually. But, for normal rounds, a Zephyr has no appeal to me. It won't fit in my bag. I hate the shape of it. And, I can't think of anything that it does even half as well as another disc that it would need to replace.

So, you're saying there's still a chance to save the relationship?

Another manufacturer I just don't get is Prodigy. Now I will say I really like their naming convention but the plastic is like the same stuff that my kids toys were made of. Feels cheap. Just couldn't stand it.

And I cannot stand lid type putters. If I'm going to putt with something that has such a crappy rim I'd rather putt with a Whamo Frisbee. I just don't understand how people can like those. Out of the entire lid family like the Birdie I think the Rattler has to be the worst.

As you can tell...this thread is cathartic for me.

Innova has so many speed 12+ discs that I have no love for. Other than the Shryke, Tern, Xcal, and Boss, all the other high speed drivers Innova has released in the past 10 years have been misses.

14 Speed:
-Colossus: Why would I ever need a disc with a rim that large. Can anyone get this disc up to speed?
-Firestorm: Haven't thrown one, but I haven't heard good things.

13 Speed:
-Vulcan: Uncomfortable in the hand. -4 turn is so much. I like beat to understable discs better than designed understable discs.
-Shryke: Good disc. Turns easy. Pretty predictable. Goes far.
-Katana: I remember when this disc came out and was in high demand. I can never remember a disc that has had such a noticeable "break point" in its high speed turn. If you don't get it all the way up to speed, it noob hyzer stalls out. If you do get it to turn, it turns and turns and doesn't come back. Very frustrating disc.
-Groove: The most notoriously inconsistent disc ever made.
-Dominator: Meh. Does anyone throw these?
-Daedalus: The only ones you ever see are ones new players threw in the lake.
-Boss: More disc than most players will ever need, but good for what it is.
-Ape: A ridiculously fast and OS driver. This disc goes nowhere for me.
-Xcaliber: Good disc for long forehands if you have the power.
-Wahoo: This thread has already said all that needs to be said.
-Tern: A good flippy driver. Gives noodle arms a way to throw far.
-Teedevil: Take the "tee" off please. This has nothing to do with my beloved Teebird.
-Destroyer: Oh hey look, about the only Innova speed 12+ disc that is in many high level pros' bags.

Innova tried so many high speed driver molds over the years and very few of them rose to popularity among skilled players. Now they're trying to release something to compete with the Zone/Harp and have produced a myriad of mediocre OS putters and mids: Aviar3, Aviarx3, Caiman (might actually be good), Rat, Hawg, Bullfrog...

This makes me want to go play some one-disc-rounds with the Wolf :)
I'm a sucker for an underdog!
I put it in the winter bag several years ago and seriously threw it trying to find a use for it. Put anything on it and it turns and burns. Back off it and throw it smooth and it's a glideless turd that goes 1/2 as far as a Comet. You are a Comet guy, it will drive you totally bonkers. :|

This makes me want to go play some one-disc-rounds with the Wolf :)
I'm a sucker for an underdog!

Buddy of mine uses a DX Wolf as his main driver. Probably a 20-year old disc but he doesn't play often. He can throw that stupid disc remarkably far.

He throws the Wolf on a steep hyzer, waaaaaaay up in the air, and it turns slowly the entire flight. I mean way higher than you would ever think about throwing a disc. Look for lines up in the canopy lol.

I really disliked the TeeDevil. Didn't feel right and didn't glide very well. It was supposed to be a straighter Destroyer but it would go 30-40ft shorter for me. I'll just throw a Rival if I want a straight flight, and with much more control.

The Teedevil definitely lacked glide. I wasn't super impressed with the couple I threw. They had no dome and just seemed clunky. I'd flip them over and they had a decent S curve, but no real distance. They DID make the Teedevil less overstable than a Destroyer, but it just didn't fly as far. I can see why Innova pulled the plug on it.

On the same note, I think Innova should look at discontinuing the Daedalus. I won't even call the Daedalus terrible, but the Shryke does all the same things. It just does them WAAAYYY better than the Daedalus.

The Teedevil definitely lacked glide. I wasn't super impressed with the couple I threw. They had no dome and just seemed clunky. I'd flip them over and they had a decent S curve, but no real distance. They DID make the Teedevil less overstable than a Destroyer, but it just didn't fly as far. I can see why Innova pulled the plug on it.

On the same note, I think Innova should look at discontinuing the Daedalus. I won't even call the Daedalus terrible, but the Shryke does all the same things. It just does them WAAAYYY better than the Daedalus.

The Shryke actually being good makes the Colossus, Vulcan, katana, Groove, Wahoo Dominator, and Daedalus all obsolete. Shryke fills the same spot in the bag but better. Just discontinue all of them as far as I'm concerned. After 8 or 9 tries Innova finally managed to make a high speed understable driver that goes far.

Last edited:
Innova has so many speed 12+ discs that I have no love for. Other than the Shryke, Tern, Xcal, and Boss, all the other high speed drivers Innova has released in the past 10 years have been misses.

14 Speed:
-Colossus: Why would I ever need a disc with a rim that large. Can anyone get this disc up to speed?
-Firestorm: Haven't thrown one, but I haven't heard good things.

13 Speed:
-Vulcan: Uncomfortable in the hand. -4 turn is so much. I like beat to understable discs better than designed understable discs.
-Shryke: Good disc. Turns easy. Pretty predictable. Goes far.
-Katana: I remember when this disc came out and was in high demand. I can never remember a disc that has had such a noticeable "break point" in its high speed turn. If you don't get it all the way up to speed, it noob hyzer stalls out. If you do get it to turn, it turns and turns and doesn't come back. Very frustrating disc.
-Groove: The most notoriously inconsistent disc ever made.
-Dominator: Meh. Does anyone throw these?
-Daedalus: The only ones you ever see are ones new players threw in the lake.
-Boss: More disc than most players will ever need, but good for what it is.
-Ape: A ridiculously fast and OS driver. This disc goes nowhere for me.
-Xcaliber: Good disc for long forehands if you have the power.
-Wahoo: This thread has already said all that needs to be said.
-Tern: A good flippy driver. Gives noodle arms a way to throw far.
-Teedevil: Take the "tee" off please. This has nothing to do with my beloved Teebird.
-Destroyer: Oh hey look, about the only Innova speed 12+ disc that is in many high level pros' bags.

Innova tried so many high speed driver molds over the years and very few of them rose to popularity among skilled players. Now they're trying to release something to compete with the Zone/Harp and have produced a myriad of mediocre OS putters and mids: Aviar3, Aviarx3, Caiman (might actually be good), Rat, Hawg, Bullfrog...

I agree with pretty much all of your driver analysis. I've thrown all the drivers on your list. I like about half of them. I bag the Boss and XCal.

Boss: Innova's first speed 13 driver. This thing is just like a Destroyer, but a speed faster. You'll need about 400' power to get it up to speed.
Daedalus: A speed 13 flippy driver. I've had good throws with the Daedalus, but I don't really like this mold. Its inconsistent and I feel it lacks glide. The Shryke obsoleted the Daedalus.
Tern: I like the Tern a lot. For a speed 12 understable disc Innova got this one right. Shockingly long with tons of glide.
Wahoo: Pure junk. I think the only selling point here is that the disc floats. Plastic is just trash.
Groove: Everyone knows this disc sucks. Its way more overstable than indicated, and has no glide at all. A total failure of a mold. Very uncomfortable in the hand too.
Vulcan: Very fast and too flippy. It takes an absolutely perfect release to get a Vulcan to fly far. Miss it even a little and it'll stall or flip over into the ground.
Katana: I like this mold, but not enough to bag it. Inconsistent from disc to disc. Again, if you flip a Katana it looks for the ground fast. A good Katana is a thing of beauty though. Problem is, you might have to throw 10 of them to find a good one.
Colossus: I like this mold too. It reminds me of a speed 14 Katana. Very touchy. If you flip it, the disc stays right forever. Throw it too lightly and you get a useless hyzer stall. I could actually bag a Colossus and do OK with it. I think the Colossus is too touchy for most people. Plus, it doesn't glide that well.
Dominator: A purely useless mold. IDK what Innova was shooting for here. For me it flies like a crappy Boss. Clunky and glideless. I doubt the Dominator has been popular since Innova released it.
XCaliber: A very, very good mold here. Steady overstable distance. I bag the XCal because it can be thrown very hard and not flip over. Plus it'll still gain good distance despite being so overstable.
Ape: Similar to the XCal, but a speed faster. I like the Ape too, but have never bagged it. A good overstable disc that gains good distance without being a total meat hook.
Shryke: I love the Shryke. Innova got this one right. A somewhat flippy speed 13 driver with tons of glide. I bag the Shryke for long, open bombs. It does the job better than any disc I've tried.
Destroyer: I bag a star Destroyer. Inconsistent mold overall, but a good star Destroyer is still a very viable workhorse driver. I find myself reaching for it often.
Teedevil: A clunky, slightly flippier, glideless Destroyer wannabe. I have little use for the Teedevil.

The great majority of these drivers aren't thrown by pro level male players. However, a lot of women seem to throw the fast, flippy stuff.

The Shryke actually being good makes the Colossus, Vulcan, katana, Groove, Wahoo Dominator, and Daedalus all obsolete. Shryke fills the same spot in the bag but better. Just discontinue all of them as far as I'm concerned. After 8 or 9 tries Innova finally managed to make a high speed understable driver that goes far.

I agree fully. There's a reason I bag a Shryke and none of those other molds. I think the Shryke immediately obsoleted things like the Vulcan and Daedalus the day it came out.

Another manufacturer I just don't get is Prodigy. Now I will say I really like their naming convention but the plastic is like the same stuff that my kids toys were made of. Feels cheap. Just couldn't stand it.

What? Prodigys plastic is the best on the market hands down. 750g is the tits

Kinda struggled to come up with a disc I actually hated, then I remembered I once tried a Nova.

Oh don't take it the wrong way. Prodigy makes some great stuff and I am sure their plastic is super durable I just don't like the way it feels. :D

What about it dont you like? I switched specifically because the feel is so great. What plastics do you prefer to throw?

I love the gummyness of the 400 and 750g is like a prenium KC Pro with great texture, 700 is like toffee CE.