• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Most overstable Buzz

i replaced my 2 straight stable and overstable buzzz slots with wasps. after i cracked one of my wasps and the RDG gila was released, it was nearly identical to my overstable wasp but more consistent,a little more glide and a little more hss. i now bag a 180g RDG gila for the overstable slot, a 172 proto GILA for the straighter to mildly OS slight and now have to find a replacement for my seasoned wasp that cracked last week. i will be testing out the gateway prophecy and the black zombie crossbow, im certain one of those will fill that spot.

the RDG gila is a great mold though,large diameter,comfortable and very similar to the old sanny q sentinels. ive never had it perform poorly as a result to the wind. since the prophecy and crossbow both share the same gila bottom, i imagine i will like them both.

It's funny, but it seems like something very similar to this thread pops up nearly every year. Seems like lots of people want to use Buzzzes like Rocs (same mold with discs in different stabilities to cover all mid-range lines). I can't really fault them for the approach (I tried to do it too at one point and created my own "most overstable Buzzz" thread). But it doesn't seem like the Buzzz was really designed for this approach. The Buzzz was designed to be a premium plastic mid that held its stability and flew a certain line consistently for a long time. Then they made the Wasp/Drone/Hornet/Comet/Buzzz SS/Buzzz OS to be premium mids to cover more overstable and understable lines.

If I went back to throwing Buzzzes, I think I would just accept that I needed at least 3 molds of mid in my bag, at least for a year or two until some Buzzzes broke in to cover understable shots. If you HAVE to find a Buzzz for more overstable lines, you're going to be doing this painful search for one periodically which probably just isn't worth it.

Didn't Comet and Wasp pre-date the Buzzz? Point taken though. The Buzzz is a good premium plastic mid that is very versatile, but getting a "cycle" of 3 or more Buzzz's that each excel at a certain type of shot just doesn't seem as beneficial as with Rocs. Nevertheless, it's easy to justify bagging a Buzzz pair, and my mid lineup is a beefy and less beefy Buzzz plus a Comet. Maybe it's DGCR's fault, but I barely ever bag my Drone anymore.

I wonder how the MD4 is shaping out? Could be a perfect option. From what I read the 4 was only slightly more OS than the 3. so not a big diff

md4 or a warrior is probably the best bet for a "beadless" ,overstable mold.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2018-2-14 Universal Graphic Disc Flight Charts.png
    Screenshot-2018-2-14 Universal Graphic Disc Flight Charts.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
You should try the ti flx buzzz from the 2015 worlds. You can find them pretty easily on the facebook pages and they're not marked up in price at all. For me, that's the most os buzzz. I would compare it to a bio verdict for my arm speed (I can get buzzzes to about 280-300'). I don't bother with a buzzz os, because with my arm speed, it's just a brick. Elite X, Elite Z, and Ti FLX buzzes go with a utility justice for my mids.

I'm looking for a buzzz that for a 330-350 foot shot will go straight and fade out at the end. All the buzzzes I have love to go really straight at this distance. I have a buzzz is that I really like, but it's more of an overstable utility disc that goes hard left. I'm looking for a disc that fits between the two.

Has anyone thrown a sparkle buzzz? Also, I've been told that new glo buzzzes are pretty straight. Is that true?

I say a Buzz OS In least premium plastic and beat them in or is that too Overstable a disc?

Another disc that does the Straight to Fade Out is the Shark 3 in Champion plastic. It is a Overstable Buzz but not a OS Buzz the few times I tested my new Shark 3. Bonus it is beadles like a Buzz.

Last edited:
Can confirm that ESP Swirly Buzzz is the most HSS of the hundred or so Buzzzes I've thrown. Really nice. Thanks to Howl for the rec.

Can confirm that ESP Swirly Buzzz is the most HSS of the hundred or so Buzzzes I've thrown. Really nice. Thanks to Howl for the rec.

I saw that recommendation as well and didn't realize that I had some lol, I ordered esp buzzes and they were unique in color on dgc, superbly stable dead straight with far more fade than any of my other buzzes(bugs and z)

If you're going as overstable as an MD4, just get a Buzzz OS (If you're throwing 180 Buzzzes maybe try a 170.) Similar rim as a Buzzz (like a Buzzz's rim was flexed out to raise the PLH and flatten the top.) It'll be closer than that strange squared off nose the MD4 is sporting.

Solo,I just wanna say that I got to throw one of the new swirly esp buzzes amd theyre the overstanle buzzz you want. No joke. They are a workable stability but reliable,not a buzzz os. This reminded me instantly of the great glo buzzes I was hunting in 2010/2011.

Solo,I just wanna say that I got to throw one of the new swirly esp buzzes amd theyre the overstanle buzzz you want. No joke. They are a workable stability but reliable,not a buzzz os. This reminded me instantly of the great glo buzzes I was hunting in 2010/2011.

OK, a hair off topic here, but for anyone wanting a disc that feels like a Buzzz, throws like a Buzzz, but is noticeably more overstable than a Buzzz, check out the L64 Pain. Very good overstable mid. It glides well and has good distance, but will always fade out late in fight.

IDK why, but I never got a feel for the Wasp. I like the Pain a whole lot better for overstable mid shots.

OK, a hair off topic here, but for anyone wanting a disc that feels like a Buzzz, throws like a Buzzz, but is noticeably more overstable than a Buzzz, check out the L64 Pain. Very good overstable mid. It glides well and has good distance, but will always fade out late in fight.

IDK why, but I never got a feel for the Wasp. I like the Pain a whole lot better for overstable mid shots.

No.... Pain is more like a roc if anything

Yeah, I agree the Pain is more Roc than Buzzz.

Unfortunately for the OP, the answer to his query is a Discraft Nebula, aka the 2008 Ace Race disc that never went into production. Discraft told me they never could get the disc to mold up consistently but the truth is Discraft would sell way more Hornets, Wasps, Buzzz OSes, and a gazillion more Buzzzes in various plastics if they never produced the Nebula. Same thing with Rocs, why sell one perfect midrange when you can sell 5 million Roc variants?

definitely different than the buzzz flight and not as wind resistant as a wasp or stable buzzz, i never liked it. it just wasnt very hss . either way, it is OOP and no longer available.

Just checking in to see if anything has changed on this...looking for a Buzzz, not OS, or another mold. Which plastic for he most fade? Z Glo, Ti, Z FLX? Thanks!

Just checking in to see if anything has changed on this...looking for a Buzzz, not OS, or another mold. Which plastic for he most fade? Z Glo, Ti, Z FLX? Thanks!

Out of mine +25 Buzzz... the FLX CryZtal

The Crystal one I have with a tournament stamp is the most OS one I have thrown. Not sure how common they are. Zflex was stable but seemed to have less glide than normal. Just my experience with it.