• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Most overstable driver you've ever thrown

I'm sure that Elite Z Flick has been mentioned. I only use it for the occasional forehand, overhand, or extreme spike hyzer.

I'm sure that Elite Z Flick has been mentioned. I only use it for the occasional forehand, overhand, or extreme spike hyzer.

For me the Nuke OS was FAARRRR more overstable and glideless than a Flick. And that's saying something because the Flick is like throwing a tablesaw blade.

My TI-FLX Nuke OS. Flat as a board and just ridiculously overstable.

The Spirit from Gateway and my FAF glow firebird are a close second.

For me, the most overstable driver I have thrown was a 11x FAF Glow Champ Firebird. You can't even throw FH rollers with it because it starts to flex and lands flat from almost vertical. Honorable mention goes to the metal flake Apes that you see running around. Not quite as absurdly OS, but a little bit faster to make up for it.

I had these ~120g S Spirits I got somehow that were the flattest discs I've seen. They were ridiculously overstable (and I throw Spirits for my overstable driver) but were also terrible in the wind. They wouldn't turn no matter what, but if there was any wind they'd get tossed around all over the place.

I found Demons to be more overstable than Spirits. The Spirits would at least go farther if you thew them on an anhyzer while Demons would just go 250' and then fade super hard no matter how I threw them.

I did have an old E Pro Speed Demon that was pretty crazy.

I also had a couple of S Avengers that were a little overstable for Avengers for HSS, but would fade super hard after like 200' no matter how I threw them. It was crazy, they just didn't want to glide at all.

I have a 147g GL Halo that was insanely OS. Also, a freak gunmetal Legend Cannon. Had a local pro (who I have seen hit over 500') throw it on an anny into a headwind and it still fought out of it.

I still keep a Stego in my car to troll guys who claim to have big arms... Just hand it to them, bet them $5 that they can't throw it over 200'. EVERY tryhard laughs and agrees, then fails. I've only had one guy take my $5, because he smartly threw a roller. They all power up and try to rip it, and as any Stego thrower knows, more power = more overstability. Thing crashes to the ground. Putter or not, thing is a beefcake. Best throw (non roller) I've had with it was launched WAAAAAY up in the air, on a strong anhyzer, and still just crashed back down through the trees around the corner. Exactly as intended, but still only about 120'.

I know this is a "driver" thread, but I figured I'd share after all the RDG Stego mentions. :D

175g C-Line PD2. The most impossible disc I've ever field tested. I know my way around Firebirds and OS discs in general. This PD2 was just not doing anything but dump over right out of my hand.

175g C-Line PD2. The most impossible disc I've ever field tested. I know my way around Firebirds and OS discs in general. This PD2 was just not doing anything but dump over right out of my hand.

Try a Swirly S-Line HypnoHuk HukLab PD2. Thing is STUPID overstable. Eagle and Simon actually seek them out for their "OS" run. I swear I cannot get this disc over 300' with perfect form. It's a Whippet with extra speed. Just freaking stupid.

SDS Destroyer. Made my stiletto look like an orbital.

Next would be MOAB > a 168g X-Out pop top pro boss > gl xXx > pop-top star destroyers = stiletto.

To be clear, per the thread, these are just the most overstable discs I've thrown.

Gotta be a Z Xtreme from Discraft.
The Z Xtreme and the Flat Spirits are weird to compare. The Xtreme is a fairway driver that is just a wicked meathook. The Elite Pro Xtreme was a meathook, but the Z's were just too much beef for a mortal.

The Spirit is a lot faster, so you get the speed-overstable effect along with the the fact that they are just stupid overstable. Different types of discs, hard to compare.

The Spirit also has the disadvantage of staying in production, so there have been not-so-stupid runs of the Spirit. The Z Xtreme had one or two runs; they are what they are.

However, back about 10 years ago there was a run of Spirits. They were milky white. Somebody had some at an event I was at; he was letting people try to throw them for the comedic effect. I put the thing on an anny line and it hooked out of my hand. OK, I suck. I saw some guys I know can play throw the same disc. 400' torque monkey guys who threw overstable drivers as a way of life. They were getting off drives that went farther left than they went forward. One guy flicked one that almost landed behind us once it got done hyzering out. That run of Spirits was easily the most overstable driver I've ever seen.

Nothing beats the champ Max

Runner-ups (other extremely overstable stuff for comparison): H1, FAF Firebird, Glow Max, Thrill, Flick, these are all pretty much the same level overstable, but you just notice how ridiculously overstable the champ Maxes are when you realize that you can break 350 ft with them on a thumber-angle forehand line and the disc still manages to fight back every time and do the fade

Haven't tried the champ Monsters, but I can imagine those being nearly or equally overstable

Latest posts