• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Silver Creek now has 18 silver baskets added to create a Super long 18 overlay layout within the existing 36-hole track. I was there a week ago and Jim was still getting the signs updated for the event this weekend.

Silver Creek now has 18 silver baskets added to create a Super long 18 overlay layout within the existing 36-hole track. I was there a week ago and Jim was still getting the signs updated for the event this weekend.

Which of the five Silver Creek courses are you referring to, Chuck? :p

giphy.gif

This makes me exceptionally happy that I got there late last fall. The course was in perfect condition, and soooooo freakin' fun. The way I got to play it, it's in my top 3.

I feel the same way. I played there in the summer of '18 and was there a few days after the Mid America Open. All the pins were in the long positions and the course was in perfect shape. So good!

Yep. 1st time, I actually played it flooded, wearing galoshes (May 2017). Got back in Sept 2018 and played it again in nice weather and great conditions. :)

Does anyone know why Flip City does not having conventional tee signs?
I looked at the last 10 reviews and DFrah, DiscinOhio, wolfhaley, MrFrosty all list the lack of tee signs as the biggest con.
Apparently there are posts at each tee with the hole number on it and that's it.
Just wondering...:confused:

Yep. 1st time, I actually played it flooded, wearing galoshes (May 2017). Got back in Sept 2018 and played it again in nice weather and great conditions. :)

i played it two months before that (March '17) after a recent rain. it must have been a light one because it wasn't flooded. then played it a couple days later as it lightly snowed. hole 11 was the only hole with significant standing water and mud. it was well-mowed and i felt lucky about the conditions after hearing how bad the flooding can be.

I looked at the last 10 reviews and DFrah, DiscinOhio, wolfhaley, MrFrosty all list the lack of tee signs as the biggest con.
Apparently there are posts at each tee with the hole number on it and that's it.

I couldn't tell you why they don't have tee signs.

I mentioned that in my cons from when I played it back in 2019. Played it again less than a month ago. Tee signage hasn't changed. However, they have some shiny new red Chainstar Pros. These are SOOO much easier to see from a distance than the old Mach's they had my first time. There are still lots of baskets that aren't going to be visable from the tee though. Tee signs would go a long way here. Holes 5 and 17 come to mind off the top of my head.

That said, it's still probably my favorite course. It has a vibe that you just don't get at too many other places. Highbridge and Paw Paw are the other similar courses (complexes) that stick out in my head. They make up most of my top ten too. If you haven't been to Flip, find time to.

I'm the doofus who dropped Harmony Bends out of the top spot :eek:

So I'll chime in. I played it last July. It hadn't rained for at least a few days prior as far as I can remember. The creeks weren't high when we played, but those holes on the back 9 that flood were still retaining pools of water and it was a muddy mess on parts of those. If you can play this course in ideal conditions it's without a doubt, the best course I've played. Therein lies the big problem. It's the best designed course I've ever played, bar none. It's location both makes it, but also is what breaks it.

I'm the doofus who dropped Harmony Bends out of the top spot :eek:

So I'll chime in. I played it last July. It hadn't rained for at least a few days prior as far as I can remember. The creeks weren't high when we played, but those holes on the back 9 that flood were still retaining pools of water and it was a muddy mess on parts of those. If you can play this course in ideal conditions it's without a doubt, the best course I've played. Therein lies the big problem. It's the best designed course I've ever played, bar none. It's location both makes it, but also is what breaks it.

They need to call in someone from The Netherlands...:D

Unpopular opinion — I actually really enjoy Flip's lack of tee signs. Most pins are visible from the tee, but walking down the fairway for the first time to find a hidden basket and take in Flip's majesty was fun, not frustrating for me. It gives a greater appreciation for the land and hammers home the "Field of Dreams" aspect. In short, your mileage may vary, but a lack of gaudy signage adds to the vibes for me.