• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

That's my feeling, too. I think my biggest grief is deciding between 3.5 and 4.0. I find a huge gap between 4.0 and 4.5, with very little deliberation needed; 4.5 to 5.0 is more a matter of weather a great course has enough flaws to preclude a 5.0.

Anyone other TR's feel like that you have to really struggle over whether the best courses you play are a 4, 4.5 or 5? I really mull over those because for one I want to get it right and not have to go back and switch it up (which I've done) and secondly because I know multiple people are going to scrutinize my score and every word I write in the review then PM me about it.

I really don't care what review readers think so I just do what I think is right. I just want to give decent representation for the guy driving hours to play. It doesn't have to be perfect. We're not getting paid for this. It's kind of freeing. Kinda like that first time you wore boxers and your jewels swung free! :p

Flip City. It's one of the most fun courses I've played, and that's why we play, right? The elevation is there, the extraordinary attention to detail, and the unique character (rock cairns, etc). Is it challenging enough to be a 5.0, and is that strictly necessary? I haven't written this review yet.

IMO Flip (whether intentionally or not) sacrifices championship challenge for playability to a wider range of skill levels. It can yield many birdies to very good players, but it doesn't serve them up - you have to earn'em. For me, Flip's playability generates greater desire to return to play it again.
In some aspects, maybe that's a question reviewers might ask themselves: "Which do I value more, challenge or playability?" I don't think there's a wrong answer, but it's nice when you explain your point of view so readers understand how you arrived at your rating.

Just 'cause I'll be donning jeans, jacket, and leather gloves in 94 degree heat to go look for a couple of my discs later this afternoon doesn't mean.....
lulz!

Last edited:
Alas, it wasn't a joke, and I didn't find my disc before the heat compelled me to quit. I did, however, de-thorn a bunch of blackberries in the process, as a courtesy to the next disc searcher.

IMO Flip (whether intentionally or not) sacrifices championship challenge for playability to a wider range of skill levels. It can yield many birdies to very good players, but it doesn't serve them up - you have to earn'em. For me, Flip's playability generates greater desire to return to play it again.
In some aspects, maybe that's a question reviewers might ask themselves: "Which do I value more, challenge or playability?"

I don't understand "playability" used as a description for a course, as being opposite of challenge.?.?.
Aren't multiple tee pads the way you deal with a wide range of skill levels ?

Last edited:
Anyone other TR's feel like that you have to really struggle over whether the best courses you play are a 4, 4.5 or 5? I really mull over those because for one I want to get it right and not have to go back and switch it up (which I've done) and secondly because I know multiple people are going to scrutinize my score and every word I write in the review then PM me about it.

I have an average review rating of 3.4 with four courses currently rated 5.

There are others I have played that I think deserve a 5, I just haven't reviewed them.

Never believed in the "no such thing as perfection" mentality.

Diversity/Balance
Challenge/Fairness
Natural Beauty/Aesthetics
Maintenance/Amenities

If the above is met in harmony...it warrants a 5.

It's good to give props to those who do it right. Never cared too much about response. It's just my opinion. Opinions will always vary.

I don't give a **** about people not liking my score or thinking it should be different. I just want all my ducks in a row so when I give a course a score the justification is there in the review because I know people will question it, I bring that out in people I guess. I seem to piss more people off with my reviews than most.

I also really don't think there is such a thing as perfection. If there's a perfect course out there I haven't played it and doubt I ever will.

Anyone other TR's feel like that you have to really struggle over whether the best courses you play are a 4, 4.5 or 5?

I use the full scale, and set 5 as the best course(e) that I've played. My ratings have evolved over time. Use whatever ratings philosophy that you feel is best; so long as you apply it consistently.

First time I've seen Blue Ribbon Pines out of the Top 5 since I started visiting this site. I just played it this weekend, and it's still a damn great course.

I'm not complaining, as Rollin Ridge is only an hour + from my house.

The world just feels...a little different.

Am I really the only notice/comment that Rollin Ridge has now surpassed not only BRP, but Idlewild to move (crazy rapidly) into the #4 spot?

Thought this would be a bigger deal.

I haven't played Idlewild or BRP, but I have played RR several times. It's pretty darn fantastic. Add in Lower Cato and Silver Creek so close, and it's a damn good day of chuckin' plastic.

Rolling Ridge while certainly deserving (imho) of perhaps even the #1 spot (note: I have NOT played either Saleh yet), was probably bumped up by a sketchy review of Idlewild. :\ :\ :\

Rolling Ridge while certainly deserving (imho) of perhaps even the #1 spot (note: I have NOT played either Saleh yet), was probably bumped up by a sketchy review of Idlewild. :\ :\ :\

Noticed that as well.

I love BRP but its way boring now and the flat terrain just provides a lackluster replay experience IMO. Its a hell of a course but pretty over-rated and all the sparkly glitter scattered around is what adds to it not the actual DG.

First of all I'm not questioning the rating by Tim. It is fair and based on his other course ratings Idlewild didn't do too badly.
I do want to clarify a couple of things so that someone reading his review will not be scared away because of the course condition/rough and other things about his review.

1. Poison Ivy - I was not aware of that much poison Ivy on the course. If you(Tim) could tell me exactly where you saw it I will gladly remove it for the safety of the next player to come through. You make it sound like every hole's rough is full of poison ivy.

2. Repetitiveness of wooded holes - This course was designed for the professional caliber player in mind. We were given this area of the park for the disc golf course and 60 % is woods. We wanted to challenge the pro disc disc golfer and I think we accomplished that. Side note: Avery hates this place.

3. Turf Greens: Of all the Idlewild reviews you are the first one to not like the turf greens. I spent over $1,000 of my own money on that experiment/idea. It was labor intensive but they work.
The reason for the turf greens is that I have tried:
Sod - it died because that area doesn't get enough sun during the summer.
Natural - weeds took over, too much maintenance(weed eating etc).
Mulch - it gets washed away when we get heavy rains, the creek really floods badly after a hard rain.
For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShORavggJk
And they are dry, as in not muddy all year round.

4. Concrete cores: Again a first for you. The cores keep the peninsula in place or else it will wash away. I've estimated about 6,000 cores are used at Idlewild. They were free but unfortunately I had to drive 40 miles round trip(up hill both ways :) to pick up 50 at a time. So you can imagine how long that took.

5. Down hill bomber - This is Kentucky not Colorado. #15's 3rd shot(4th for you) is the closest we have to a big down hill bomber. Sorry.

6. Tee Signs/Pin location/baskets - The majority of the holes you won't be able to see from the tee. I get that you want to see where the basket is, the tee sign tells you how far you need to throw the tee shot for a good position for your second shot. You did a lot of unnecessary walking imho.
The majority of those baskets are Mach III's from 1990, they are 23 years old and in great shape. They all catch well, especially the singe chain basket on #5. It used to be a cable catcher(Trivia question:who made them)

I'm starting to ramble so in closing, I want to thank Tim for stopping and playing Idlewild. Sorry for the beat down but that's what it was designed to do. I really believe that if you would have played with me or a local and left the kids and wife at Boone Woods(1 mile away), you would have enjoyed it a lot more. Next time you come through send me a message on facebook @The Nati Disc Golf. I will be glad to meet you there. In my mind it is the 2nd best disc golf course in the country, Flyboy is my favorite.

I don't see any recent reviews of Idlewild I'd call sketchy. The most recent review rates it lower than most, but everything there seems pretty well supported and valid. It doesn't seem to have any agenda other than to state the reviewer's opinion. How's that sketchy? Because they thought it was only excellent rather than one of the very best there is? I wouldn't refer to a review as sketchy unless it seems to be written with an agenda, isn't supported by substantive comments about what the course is like, or smells of someone whose never actually played the course. :\

PS - Fred, thanks for sharing your thoughts above. It's always great to hear some of the thoughts behind the decision making!

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. I could care less about what courses are in what rank, so it's nice to hear honest opinions and get perspective from different segments of the DG community. IMO, a superb course should cater to many skill levels, not just the very best. I think that's the reason Rollin' Ridge is making its ascent up the rankings. The three sets of tee pads offer distinctly different challenges to players, and the amenities are second to none.

I haven't played Idlewild or BRP, but I have played RR several times. It's pretty darn fantastic. Add in Lower Cato and Silver Creek so close, and it's a damn good day of chuckin' plastic.

Don't forget #20 Winter Park about 45 minutes away.