• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I would say the recent influx in reviews for Caliber are directly linked to the Scott video....also the fact that we just had the Farragut tournament which gave alot of players who normally dont make it up to our area a chance to make the short drive north to check it out.
I was one of latest reviews and my motivation to actually get back on DGCR has everything to do with the course itself....it really is unlike anything ive personally played and deserves the reviews. Bonus is that you all are now talking about it and the DG world is aware of its existance.
The notion that Paul is paying top guys to Praise his course is absolutely Laughable! If you were to ever meet Paul personally you would underestand.
I hope everyone here gets a chance to play this course, and have a great day!

Are you implying that Stokely was coerced in any way to speak of Caliber like he did?

.....And what makes you think that Caliber is receiving drive by ratings from folks who possibly might not know what they're talking about?

its a possibility isnt it

the recent increase in reviews seems a little suspicious and especially with many being one review wonders

getting your course as a top rated course on dgcr is one of the best if not the best ads you could ever have and all you gotta do is know how to make multiple accounts or have friends/family hook it up takes minutes for big profit

The owner of Phantom Falls was a nice guy named Paul who recently moved away and the course subsequently closed. Bucksnort, located just next door, is owned by someone else and is luckily still in action.

Here's the listing for the Phantom Falls property, all you need is 900K and 18 baskets and PF could be all yours!
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/16200-Pine-Valley-Rd_Pine_CO_80470_M28925-23930

Caliber Paul is not the same person as from Phantom Falls Paul, right?

I had not heard that Paulie had sold his property at PF, that's too bad. Glad Bucksnort is still up and running though, and no, Caliber Paul is not Paulie Rothley from PF.

Ok, so with all due respect to the course that I built from the ground up, I will start a separate thread introducing Caliber so this one doesn't get mucked up.
The purpose of this thread will be to show the course in it's fullest through pictures and answering of any questions on anything related to the course or disc golf. I will go over the construction of the boxes and why I did it that way. I got a bit carried away with the signs because I wanted to give the player the best representation of the hole they are playing.

I am fortunate to have found this piece of land, it was a chance to showcase the natural beauty of North Idaho and keep it from turning into some development someday as many special places have become.

Even if some of you might have disagreed with my position on certain topics, or used me as a whack-a-mole game toy over other issues you feel strongly about, let's keep on topic for that thread. It might take me a couple days to get something together, but I will.

Paul Stiller

Attachments

• ADDE90A9-55A9-40F0-8CA1-4AA7CFD793B6.jpg
    ADDE90A9-55A9-40F0-8CA1-4AA7CFD793B6.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 76C3DEBF-120D-4D4F-AA12-48A0DDF76B55.jpg
    76C3DEBF-120D-4D4F-AA12-48A0DDF76B55.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 34
I actually randomly ran into Paul from PF at a Subway somewhere in Colorado. Not the same as Paul from Caliber.

But Paul from Caliber is absolutely geniuine and sincere. He's not the kind of person to buy, influence or try to buy votes. He sent me a nice note thanking me for my review. The thing with Paul is the amazing amount of knowledge and expertise he has. The video shows this story pretty well. He tells an amazing, interesting story about each aspect of of the course, all with no bragadocious, just his sincere and incredible way of accomplishing something. But then, I 've never had the op to talk any other course designer in such detail.

IMO Caliber is a 5.0 for the physical workout needed to play in but I don't think it's golf is as challenging as Harmony Bends or Idlewild, both of which I have played or Selah Ranch, which I haven't played.

The property is great but not as awesome as Beaver Ranch, Whistlers Bend, Flip or Hillcrest on Prince Edward Island on Canada's eastern shore. Caliber just doesn't have the jaw dropping beautiful vistas or incredible elevation change or amazing rock formations.

I keep preaching that Hillcrest might be the # 1 course in the world but it's isolation like Caliber will keep players from ever experiencing it. Caliber is great, top 10 probably. When Paul completes his second 18, and with Farragut's five course complex just 28 miles away, Northern Idaho might become a premier destination.

In closing, I'm very comfortable with my 4.5 for Caliber.

It was an awesome meeting The Valkyrie Kid and having a chance to play a round with him. He's got so much experience to draw from in comparing courses. Getting a 4.5 from him is an honor. This course has a lot of elevation change and not suited for some folks having a harder time getting around.
There is no best IMO, because it means different things to different people. I feel like we're still in 1962 for the development of disc courses compared to ball golf. I will be adding amature tee pads and better amenities in the future to round out the offerings. A warm bowl of soup, sandwich and a boot dryers will be nice for wetter/cooler times so a second round is more enjoyable for example.

getting your course as a top rated course on dgcr is one of the best if not the best ads you could ever have and all you gotta do is know how to make multiple accounts or have friends/family hook it up takes minutes for big profit

"Big profit" is laughable in this case. It would take decades to see any return on the time and money that have been put into this course. It truly is a labor of love.

Note that the course designer hasn't even reviewed his own course with the account he used to post in this thread.

Why is it so hard to believe that people appreciate this course and the owner so much that they are willing to log on and write their first review? I know that this is true in my case. I decided to not stop at one however.

"I feel like we're still in 1962 for the development of disc courses compared to ball golf." -Skins

Perhaps 1862?

Exactly, we're in the Stone Age almost and there's no limit to what can be created.

To think that the "top ten" is set in stone is laughable, even to think that Caliber could still be in the top 20 in say 20-30 years is hard to imaging given how we learn from others and strive for excellence in the greater picture of disc golf.

I didn't even know I could review my own course, but I'm not going to because it doesn't seem right. If I did I'd give it a 4.90 because I still have some gaps to cover and I'm a perfectionist.

people seem to rant and rave about you in the reviews

what would you rate yourself

its a possibility isnt it

the recent increase in reviews seems a little suspicious and especially with many being one review wonders

it might be suspicious if it didn't happen all the time on other courses, if there hadn't just been a tournament there, if there hadn't been a recent video promoting the course from a big name in disc golf, if it hadn't recently received many other 4.5-5.0 reviews from some well known TRs, ...

i'm sure you're just having fun. i'm a hater by nature too. but we don't need to be unrealistic about it. there are far better targets of criticism and suspicion in the top 20 than this course.

Ok, so with all due respect to the course that I built from the ground up, I will start a separate thread introducing Caliber so this one doesn't get mucked up.
The purpose of this thread will be to show the course in it's fullest through pictures and answering of any questions on anything related to the course or disc golf. I will go over the construction of the boxes and why I did it that way. I got a bit carried away with the signs because I wanted to give the player the best representation of the hole they are playing.

I am fortunate to have found this piece of land, it was a chance to showcase the natural beauty of North Idaho and keep it from turning into some development someday as many special places have become.

Even if some of you might have disagreed with my position on certain topics, or used me as a whack-a-mole game toy over other issues you feel strongly about, let's keep on topic for that thread. It might take me a couple days to get something together, but I will.

Paul Stiller

thanks, Paul, for the course, the incoming thread, and for joining our community here. looking forward to more info/pics and i really can't wait to make it to your little piece of heaven, sometime soon hopefully.

it might be suspicious if it didn't happen all the time on other courses, if there hadn't just been a tournament there, if there hadn't been a recent video promoting the course from a big name in disc golf, if it hadn't recently received many other 4.5-5.0 reviews from some well known TRs, ...

i'm sure you're just having fun. i'm a hater by nature too. but we don't need to be unrealistic about it. there are far better targets of criticism and suspicion in the top 20 than this course.

thanks, Paul, for the course, the incoming thread, and for joining our community here. looking forward to more info/pics and i really can't wait to make it to your little piece of heaven, sometime soon hopefully.

fair enough

thank you

that was suspiciously reasonable... :D

but maybe i'm wrong and DGCR is exactly the place for wild speculations. either way i'll be pleased to see BRP get pushed further from the top 10 when Caliber hits 20 reviews.

as more great courses get installed and get reviewed i expect debates to intensify as to which #11-15 ranked courses ought to replace the bottom half of the top 10. i think Maple Hill probably ought to be there and a rejuvenated Highbridge should shake things up also.

Last edited: