• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I haven't played Judson Mine yet (hopefully this year). But am curious if we actually have a legitimate >4 rated course in MN. I'm drawing a blank...

We've got a plethora of good to great courses but nothing like a legit wow factor beat down course.

Of the few courses I have played in MN Hidden Lake is a solid 4.5 by my standards.

whats your argument for why it should be in the conversation

I think I said it before, or something like it. A high percentage of the holes are both difficult and fair. If we could boil the down what to me should be the definition of great design, then that would be it.

I think I said it before, or something like it. A high percentage of the holes are both difficult and fair. If we could boil the down what to me should be the definition of great design, then that would be it.

Describe "fair".

lulz wow

I know its not top 10, but its close, and this recent review by Hyoomac is one my personal favorite reviews I have seen in quite a while. Very informative, goes well beyond basket type, parking, bathrooms, etc. I feel like I know very much what to expect if/when I go there. Just wanted to give a shout out. Impressive review. :)

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=8867&mode=rev#91870

Describe "fair".

I think that would be a discussion for outside of this thread and to fully discuss it, let alone define, would require more time and energy than what I have at the moment.

I will say specifically about Judson Mine that compared to many other courses the fairways are well defined and lack random trees left sprinkled here and there.

Lol....the wife struggled mightily. My soft, anhyzer approach shot worked well for many greens. It was such a beautiful day.....man, going south for part of the winter is truly a retirement blessing.

Me and my wife will be heading out of the snow belt in mid April to get in some MLB games.
I am hoping to make it to Waterworks and Eagles Crossing. I haven't really looked at what other top courses are in our path.

Me and my wife will be heading out of the snow belt in mid April to get in some MLB games.
I am hoping to make it to Waterworks and Eagles Crossing. I haven't really looked at what other top courses are in our path.

Just got back from Alabama. No reason, just driving to some warmer weather and avoiding Florida. Great trip, cool eats, nice courses.....but, just good to be able to say "screw winter, let's go find the sun", lol. Have a great trip, man. :hfive:

Just got back from Alabama. No reason, just driving to some warmer weather and avoiding Florida. Great trip, cool eats, nice courses.....but, just good to be able to say "screw winter, let's go find the sun", lol. Have a great trip, man. :hfive:
What was your favorite of the bunch? seems like you hit a handful of courses according to your page.

What was your favorite of the bunch? seems like you hit a handful of courses according to your page.

They were all terrific. See this is why I don't review courses, lol. Each opportunity to get out and run a track is a glorious event. Each day was a great day with my wife and puppy.

The pooch loved John LeMaster DGC and Greg Carter Memorial DGC. We played them early in the trip and they both had considerable standing water, on the first few holes. Few things seem to bring joy to a year and a half old lab, more than big puddles to charge through, lol.

The wife found LeMaster (Civitan) to be her favorite. A bit shorter and it provided for some really cool and unique terrain. Large boulders and smaller elevation changes. It was a nice mix of technical golf and park style.

Clay and Inverness were both a lot of fun. A really different flavor of disc golf for this Michigander. Lots of elevation changes and a very rocky terrain. Inverness was a bit more polished. The first hole really took a lot away from Clay. It was a wide open field of dog sh1t. We sat and had lunch and a couple quick beers after the round and must have seen a dozen locals drive up with their doggos, just to let them run out onto hole one and defecate. None of them picked it up and there are no signs/dog bag stations or garbage cans near hole one. The wife and I BOTH stepped in a pile. Just a pet peeve.

Inverness was a beast and a wonderful round. It was a beautiful day and I was playing pretty well. A good workout for sure. I was confused by Alabama golf. They often have two pin positions, with two different baskets, in two different colors/manufacturers. You would think they would just make all A position pins the yellow banded and the B position the blue baskets....NOPE. They seemed to mix the positions and colors throughout. It was maddening at times. Trying to match up which basket was the A position pin. Navigation was rarely a problem...but I often stood over the tee sign scratching my head, trying to figure out pins. SMH.

George Ward was an old school course in the city. Old, beat up...but you could see the power of the generations shining through. Place had a cool, urban type vibe.

We also got over to play Hobbs Farms in Georgia. My wife's brother lives in Atlanta, so we both drove an hour or so and met up for golf and lunch for the day. Maybe my favorite. A fantastic park style course. Great amenities with a BUNCH of length. The wind was down and I was really getting on top of my geezer, 155 gm drivers, lol. Also the only round with a cart, which is always nice.

Every disc golf course is a golden opportunity to commune with nature and find my joy. It was a phenomenal trip.

Played The Admiral today (just NW of Mobile, AL) ; challenging, yet fun and inviting. Wonderfully executed and very visually appealing. I can see why it's the top rated course in the state. I'm not saying he's "the" best designer, but...
I've absolutely LOVED every Houck design I've played:

IDGC Jackson
Harmony Bends
Hobbs Farm
The Admiral
Soooooooo looking forward to my 5th Houck design tomorrow: Parc des Familles. :D

Playing Inverness in a couple of days - looking forward to that, too. :thmbup:

Last edited:
I'm not saying he's "the" best designer, but...
I've absolutely LOVED every Houck design I've played:

IDGC Jackson
Harmony Bends
Hobbs Farm
The Admiral
Soooooooo looking forward to my 5th Houck design tomorrow: Parc des Familles. :D

Looking forward to your thoughts on Parc des Familles. Also, John is definitely THE best designer :D. There are a few others in the conversation (Chuck Kennedy comes to mind), but I'm a big-time Houck apologist.

Crazy windy all day today.

Played Parc des Familles this morning. Played whites on short holes, and reds on the long holes (trying to pace myself playing 3+ courses/day multiple days in a row).

Excellent course overall. The cyprus knees and swampy (yet brutal) rough create a unique aesthetic I really enjoyed. Interesting how make your disc can come to rest under a tree if it skips through an opening in the knees some interesting discing (happened to me 2-3 times). Read on a review how nasty the rough is, and one looks confirmed it. I was able to stay in the fairway for the most part, and had a great time. Lacks elevation (to be expected in bayou territory) and wow factor of other Houck courses I've played, and the only one I'd say is a 4.0, but still quite destination worthy. Really tried to choose discs and ****s wisely, given how the wind was gusting. Definitely would have played some holes differently had conditions been calm.

Picked up some hot, fresh beignets from Cafe du Monde, (just a couple of miles from Lafreniere Park): de-freakin-licious! Just what I needed to get going for my 2nd round! Wind gusts killed me on this course.

Highland Road Park in Baton Rouge was one of the best park style courses I've ever played. Ran into some cool members of the LSU DG club and had a nice conversation with them. Love the purple/gold bands for short/long baskets. Geaux Tigers!

HyooMac solid review of Muddy Run just flipped Maple Hill back into the top 10.

OK by me. I don't think Muddy Run is better than North Boundary, and the fact Maple Hill wasn't in the top 10 is criminal.

Bottom line is HyooMac wrote a quality review, and rated it as he saw it. Let the averages fall where they may. You can't be concerned what your rating does to a course's average, and overall standings.

It's not like a 4.5, or even a 4.0, is a slap in the face.

Last edited:
Highland Road Park in Baton Rouge was one of the best park style courses I've ever played. Ran into some cool members of the LSU DG club and had a nice conversation with them. Love the purple/gold bands for short/long baskets. Geaux Tigers!

My former home course! Man, I miss that place. Jeff Homburg did the heavy lifting with the original design. I hope to get over there next month to see the new layout, and yeah you right...Geaux Tigers!

Latest posts